iPhone emulator for iPad

Harvey Kane

Aug 7, 2012, 9:48:03 PM8/7/12
to nz-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there's a way to make an iPad2 behave like an iPhone
for the purposes of testing mobile websites? (just websites, not apps)

I have a couple of heavy duty mobile sites coming up soon and I need a
good test environment. I found most of the web-based emulators do a
pretty poor job, and because I'm PC-based I can't use the Apple SDK
option which other people recommend.

Is there an app that turns an iPad into an iPhone for this purpose?

Thanks,

Harvey.

--
Harvey Kane

Phone:
- Auckland: +64 9 950 4133
- Wanaka: +64 3 746 8133
- Mobile: +64 21 811 951

Email: har...@harveykane.com
If you need to contact me urgently, please read my email policy www.ragepank.com/email/

Cameron Priest

Aug 7, 2012, 10:11:24 PM8/7/12
to nz-we...@googlegroups.com
Could you not just download an iPhone only web browser - this would give you the constrained size.... It's all webkit all the way down, regardless of device.

--
Cameron Priest

Andrew Hedges

Aug 7, 2012, 10:33:15 PM8/7/12
to har...@harveykane.com, nz-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harvey,

In many respects, the iPad browser *will* behave like an iPhone/iPod (e.g., touch events, CSS3 properties and selectors, HTML5 JavaScript APIs). I can think of 2 things that you might mean: screen resolution and user agent string. Neither of these is possible to fake on an iPad as far as I'm aware.

Honestly, if you don't have an OS X machine available your best bet is probably to buy an iPod 4. It has a retina display and is the same size as an iPhone 4/4S, but at a much lower cost.

Regards,
-Andrew
-----
and...@hedges.name / http://andrew.hedges.name/

James McGlinn

Aug 7, 2012, 11:54:22 PM8/7/12
to nz-we...@googlegroups.com
On 8/08/2012, at 2:33 PM, Andrew Hedges <and...@hedges.name> wrote:

> Honestly, if you don't have an OS X machine available your best bet is probably to buy an iPod 4. It has a retina display and is the same size as an iPhone 4/4S, but at a much lower cost.

+1

If an OSX machine with simulator isn't an option, you can try the iCab Mobile browser on the iPad. It's $2.59 and gives you a degree of configurability over user agent strings amongst other things.

Kind regards,
James McGlinn
CTO
Eventfinda Limited
Level 1, 177 Parnell Rd, Parnell, Auckland 1052
Phone: +649 365 2342
Mobile: +6421 633 234

ja...@eventfindahq.com | www.eventfindahq.com