Update to data.nytimes.com: Organizations, Locations, Geonames, JSON, JSONP, now nearly 10,000 tags!

Evan Sandhaus

Jan 13, 2010, 2:48:43 PM1/13/10
to The New York Times Linked Open Data Community
All,

We just rolled out a major update to data.nytimes.com that adds about
3,000 Organizations , and about 2,000 Locations into the mix.
Locations are mapped onto the Geonames ontology as well as DBpedia and
Freebase, so you can start to reason geographically about our data.
Also we've added JSON support (including JSONP) to facilitate better
client side development.

We've pulled together a blog post summarizing the changes:

http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/more-tags-released-to-the-linked-data-cloud/

Also, we've created a page better explaining the service at:
http://data.nytimes.com/home/about.html (something we should have done
ages ago).

As always, we want to hear what you think about these updates. What
do you like? What do you dislike? What do you wish we'd included but
didn't?

All the best!

Evan

Kingsley Idehen

Jan 13, 2010, 2:52:22 PM1/13/10
to nyt_linked...@googlegroups.com
Evan,

Is the presentation that you gave at last nights Semantic Web Gathering
out on Slideshare? That's presentation is very powerful and a great
compliment to the NYTs efforts in this realm.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software Web: http://www.openlinksw.com

Kingsley Idehen

Jan 13, 2010, 3:41:35 PM1/13/10
to nyt_linked...@googlegroups.com
All,

Few demo links (note: click on entity URI and then choose DESCRIBE
option to explore the Linked Data mesh):
1. http://bit.ly/6D7PNX -- Places
2. http://bit.ly/5W6YU2 -- Organizations
3. http://bit.ly/5d3vA0 -- People