Modelling issues in the NYT RDF data

Richard Cyganiak

Oct 30, 2009, 5:38:07 PM10/30/09
to The New York Times Linked Open Data Community
I had a close look at the linked data generated at data.nytimes.com
and found quite a few issues that I think need to be addressed.

The most urgent one was already hinted at during Evan's presentation
at ISWC, it's about separating the metadata (especially about rights
and licensing) from the actual data about the concepts described in
the dataset.

But there are a few others related to syntactic issues and content
negotiation.

I wrote this up as a blog post:

http://dowhatimean.net/2009/10/linked-data-at-the-new-york-times-exciting-but-buggy

Would be great if these things could be fixed. I'm subscribed to the
list and am happy to discuss the issues here on the list or over on
the blog.

Richard

Evan Sandhaus <sandhes@nytimes.com>

Oct 30, 2009, 6:02:08 PM10/30/09
to The New York Times Linked Open Data Community
Richard,

I very much appreciate all this feeback. We're already planning an
update of the data to address the rights and other concerns raised by
you and other members of the community. I hope to have this update
pushed out by sometime next week.

And thank you for your patience. It's only been 4 months, since we
announced that we committed to this path and we're still learning all
the particulars.

All the best,

Evan

On Oct 30, 5:38 pm, Richard Cyganiak <cygan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I had a close look at the linked data generated at data.nytimes.com
> and found quite a few issues that I think need to be addressed.
>
> The most urgent one was already hinted at during Evan's presentation
> at ISWC, it's about separating the metadata (especially about rights
> and licensing) from the actual data about the concepts described in
> the dataset.
>
> But there are a few others related to syntactic issues and content
> negotiation.
>
> I wrote this up as a blog post:
>
> http://dowhatimean.net/2009/10/linked-data-at-the-new-york-times-exci...

Tom Heath (Gmail)

Oct 31, 2009, 12:18:52 PM10/31/09
to nyt_linked...@googlegroups.com
Nice post Richard (and congratulations again to Evan and co for a
great initiative!)

I commented on your post with the following links, cross-posted here
for completeness:

"...One thing you didn’t mention are links to resources that can
provide some background on the licensing topic. As you know, Leigh
Dodds (Talis), Jordan Hatcher (Open Data Commons), Kaitlin Thaney
(Science Commons) and I ran a tutorial at ISWC2009 that addressed many
of these issues. The slides from the tutorial should provide a useful
introduction to people new to the subject:

http://iswc2009.semanticweb.org/wiki/index.php/ISWC_2009_Tutorials/Legal_and_Social_Frameworks_for_Sharing_Data_on_the_Web

The following paper from LDOW2008 also provides a more narrative context:

http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2008/papers/08-miller-styles-open-data-commons.pdf

It is highly likely that we will work in the coming months to provide
a more polished and comprehensive guide to licensing and waivers for
Linked Data publishing..."

Hope that's useful for people,

Cheers,

Tom.