URGENT: Publication of a Special Issue on Soundscape and its Applications

Eric Leonardson

Dec 13, 2011, 4:15:22 AM12/13/11
to Acoustic-Ecology Listserv Acoustic-Ecology, Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology Google Group, bayareaso...@yahoogroups.com, phono...@yahoogroups.com, NYSAE, Pacific Northwest Acoustic Ecology, (CASE) Canadian Association for Sound Ecology
Dear reader, friend, and colleague,

I am writing to inform you of an important challenge and opportunity
regarding the definition one of acoustic ecology�s fundamental ideas,
the Soundscape. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (JASA)
is seeking papers for publication in a few weeks. I have attached the
Call for Papers on Soundscape from the Journal of the Acoustical Society
of America PDF file. What is at stake is the possibility that our way of
defining, experiencing, addressing the acoustic environment may be
distorted by a larger, more influential group that has no investment in
the nearly 40 years of discovery that began in the World Soundscape
Project.

Deadline: January 15, 2011

[Quoted from the call]

Papers should be submitted in the usual manner for JASA via the Peer
X-Press site http://asa.aip.org/jasa.html �.Papers should be submitted
before January 15, 2011. The intent is that all papers accepted on or
before May 1, 2012 will be passed-on to the production department for
publication as a special issue�Guest Editors are Brigitte
Schulte-Fortkamp (b.schulte...@tu-berlin.de) and Jian Kang
(j.k...@sheffield.ac.uk).

The challenge and opportunity:

As the word �soundscape� gains currency in our increasingly
sound-conscious culture, I am aware that it attracts the attention of
professionals in a diverse range of cultures and disciplines. The
pressure to �colonize� the lesser-known fields of knowledge gets
ratcheted up. Therefore, it is my hope that the voice of acoustic
ecology be heard, and continue to express its interdisciplinary and
holistic approach toward the exploration of soundscapes; their
definition and the manifold application of its exploration. It would not
be helpful to have the term �soundscape� reduced to a mere variant of
�noise pollution� or �cacophony,� nor packaged into simple metrics for
the ISO. My personal preference is for a world in which engineers grasp
the entire, polyvalent connection of the environment with the physical
world and its psychic and biological subject. It is not a dream. I think
physicists can grasp the poetry of matter, and if artists can grasp what
scientists can teach, there can be a real growth of exciting
breakthroughs in the fields of health, cognition, and culture.

I hope you, as a member of our field of acoustic ecology, will consider
the challenge and opportunity, and forward this message to your friends
and colleagues.

Contact me with any questions, please.

I apologize if you have received this message more than once.

Sincerely,
Eric

--
Eric Leonardson
E-mail: er...@ericleonardson.org

sca.pdf

Nick P. Miller

Dec 13, 2011, 10:41:29 AM12/13/11
to Katharine Norman, Eric Leonardson, Acoustic-Ecology Listserv Acoustic-Ecology, Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology Google Group, bayareaso...@yahoogroups.com, phono...@yahoogroups.com, NYSAE, Pacific Northwest Acoustic Ecology, (CASE) Canadian Association for Sound Ecology
Greetings,

I have been involved in noise and acoustics since 1970, and a member of the ASA since about 1973. It would be unfortunate to get into some kind of battle over who owns the approach to "soundscape." It is becoming a widely used term, but with the widest imaginable range of approaches from subjective aesthetic to quantitative engineering. It seems to me there is room for all, but only if everyone understands the other approaches, methods and goals. There is plenty of interest in soundscapes within the engineering community, though mostly from Europe, and I believe it is informed by the concept of quality and subjective judgment. If you search enough, I think you'll find lots of papers on the topic from the engineering side. I'm attaching the conclusion section from a fairly recent article in the Noise Control Engineering Journal.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Nick Miller

Nicholas P. Miller
Senior Vice President

Harris Miller Miller & Hanson Inc.
77 South Bedford Street, Burlington, MA 01803
T 781.229.0707 ext. 3151  |  F 781.229.7939
nmi...@hmmh.com

Technical Excellence. Client Satisfaction.
www.hmmh.com

Dec 18, 2011, 10:46:01 PM12/18/11
to Nick P. Miller, Katharine Norman, Eric Leonardson, Acoustic-Ecology Listserv Acoustic-Ecology, Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology Google Group, bayareaso...@yahoogroups.com, phono...@yahoogroups.com, NYSAE, Pacific Northwest Acoustic Ecology, (CASE) Canadian Association for Sound Ecology
Thank you, Nick for responding, and for attaching the conclusion from
Noise Control Engineering Journal. I have to confess that his is the
first time I've heard of the journal. I suppose that's due to my focus
in media arts and music. The ideas expressed in “Soundscapes and
environmental noise management” article, that an either/or approach but
rather a complementary one, makes good sense. Let's hope this
intelligent and inclusive approach becomes the norm.

A quick look at the website for INCE-USA http://www.inceusa.org/ and
Harris Miller Miller & Hanson Inc., http://www.hmmh.com/ reveal numerous
links to resources, while likely familiar to my colleagues in acoustic
engineering, that are new to me.

All the best,
Eric

On 12/13/11 9:41 AM, Nick P. Miller wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have been involved in noise and acoustics since 1970, and a member of the ASA since about 1973. It would be unfortunate to get into some kind of battle over who owns the approach to "soundscape." It is becoming a widely used term, but with the widest imaginable range of approaches from subjective aesthetic to quantitative engineering. It seems to me there is room for all, but only if everyone understands the other approaches, methods and goals. There is plenty of interest in soundscapes within the engineering community, though mostly from Europe, and I believe it is informed by the concept of quality and subjective judgment. If you search enough, I think you'll find lots of papers on the topic from the engineering side. I'm attaching the conclusion section from a fairly recent article in the Noise Control Engineering Journal.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Cheers,
> Nick Miller
>
> Nicholas P. Miller
> Senior Vice President
>

> Harris Miller Miller& Hanson Inc.

--
Eric Leonardson, President
American Society for Acoustic Ecology

Nick P. Miller

Dec 19, 2011, 9:55:30 AM12/19/11
to Eric Leonardson, Katharine Norman, Eric Leonardson, Acoustic-Ecology Listserv Acoustic-Ecology, Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology Google Group, bayareaso...@yahoogroups.com, phono...@yahoogroups.com, NYSAE, Pacific Northwest Acoustic Ecology, (CASE) Canadian Association for Sound Ecology
Eric (and all),

I'm please you did a bit of research on my field. Enormous amounts of resources have been spent over the past almost 40 years attempting to understand, quantify and limit noise (and vibration). True, the approach has been focused on reducing noise rather than on improving the quality of the soundscape (and there are historical / political reasons for this) but work with and by the National Park Service in the U.S. and by others in Europe and Asia has begun to combine technical, quantitative expertise with the notion of preservation / restoration of quality. Two articles I published contain some initial thoughts for bridging this quantitative / qualitative divide for national park environments- http://www.hmmh.com/cmsdocuments/NMillerParksReview.pdf and the attached. We have focused on transportation noise for many reasons, and the range of noticeable transportation noise is significant (see my article in http://www.noisenewsinternational.net/archives/nni_111.pdf ).

It is certainly still all a work in progress that could benefit from all the thought put into soundscapes by those of you engaged in developing the acoustic ecology approach.

Best wishes,

Nick Miller

Nicholas P. Miller
Senior Vice President

Harris Miller Miller & Hanson Inc.
77 South Bedford Street, Burlington, MA 01803
T 781.229.0707 ext. 3151  |  F 781.229.7939
nmi...@hmmh.com

Miller, NCEJ_47(3)_112-117 (1999).pdf

Nick P. Miller

Dec 20, 2011, 12:53:24 PM12/20/11
to Steven M MILLER, Eric Leonardson, Katharine Norman, Eric Leonardson, Acoustic-Ecology Listserv Acoustic-Ecology, Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology Google Group, bayareaso...@yahoogroups.com, phono...@yahoogroups.com, NYSAE, Pacific Northwest Acoustic Ecology, (CASE) Canadian Association for Sound Ecology
One more article that may be of interest.

Nick