a long time.

Benoit Chesneau

Sep 15, 2010, 11:47:57 AM9/15/10
to benoitc
This is my first write since a long time.

I'm not a fan of blogs as you may know. But I saw the tweet of Noah
Slater [1] last day and found this idea of personal mailing list
really entertaining. Posting my writes as a mail to a mailing-list so
anyone that want to follow have to subscribe. It may be more
interactive. Also it's like the good old day where rather than
following anonymously a post from an rss feed, people were subscribing
to the mailing-list they were interested in. It's a personal mailing-
list, but also a closer contact with readers.

I'm not sure I will stay on googlegroups, like usual I'm thinking to
write my own tool storing posts and other stuff in CouchDB allowing
anyone to fork any content, and add it's own value. Something like
erlang-smtp [2] or http://github.com/Vagabond/gen_smtp [3] (the last
probably) will help me to achieve that.

So what this personal mailing-list will be about?

When I'm doing talks in english or in french I always introduce myself
as a web craftsman. For the definition of a web craftsman I invite you
to watch the slides of Joshua Porter, "On being a web craftsman" [4].
I have always been a web craftsman. Always independent, founding my
own companies and having my way to work. I'm not a coder by essence, I
even do marketing and management studies. But one sure thing I always
be interested in Information and the way you can (re-) use it, share
it, publish it. Computer are a perfect way to do all of this these
days and even if I still read a lot, I don't think that books are the
best way to spread information around the world, read "A Canticle for
Leibowitz" from Walter M. Miller Jr [4], if you want to be convince
(there are other books).

So what this personal mailing-list will be about? Everything around
information and what interest me in (so mostly around Information),
technologies, books, links, .theory... The work I do obviously, and
work of other.

More soon.

- benoit

1. http://twitter.com/nslater/status/22023249833
2. http://github.com/tonyg/erlang-smtp.git
3. http://github.com/Vagabond/gen_smtp
4. http://www.slideshare.net/bokardo/on-being-a-web-craftsman
5. http://amzn.to/8YBMYg

Benoit Chesneau

Sep 15, 2010, 12:16:00 PM9/15/10
to nymphormation
And sorry for the errors in the text.

a fixed version (I hope) :

This is my first write since a long time.

I'm not a fan of blogs as you may know. But I saw the tweet of Noah
Slater [1] last day and found this idea of personal mailing list
really entertaining. Posting my writes as a mail to a mailing-list so
anyone that want to follow me have to subscribe. It may be more
interactive. Also it's like the good old days where rather than
following anonymously a post from an rss feed, people were subscribing
to the mailing-list they were interested in. It's a personal mailing-
list, but also a closer contact with readers. I'm not sure I will stay
on googlegroups, like usual I'm thinking to write my own tool storing
posts and other stuff in CouchDB allowing anyone to fork any content,
and add it's own value. Something like
erlang-smtp [2] or gen_smtp [3] (the last probably) will help me to
achieve that.

So what this personal mailing-list will be about?

When I'm doing talks in english or in french, I always introduce
myself as a web craftsman. For the definition of a web craftsman, I
invite you to watch the slides of Joshua Porter, "On being a web
craftsman" [4]. I have always been a web craftsman. Always
independent, founding my own companies and having my way to work. I'm
not a coder by essence, I even did marketing and management studies.
But one sure thing, I have always been interested in Information and
the way you can (re-) use it, share it, publish it. Computers are a
perfect way to do all of this, these days and even if I still read a
lot, I don't think that books are the best way to spread information
around the world, read "A Canticle for Leibowitz" from Walter M.
Miller Jr [5], if you want to be convinced (there are other books).

So what this personal mailing-list will be about? Everything around
information and what interests me in (so mostly around Information),
technologies, books, links, theory... The work I do obviously, and
work of others.