about time

Benoit Chesneau

Sep 22, 2010, 4:25:41 AM9/22/10
to nympho...@googlegroups.com
I was reading Paul Graham essay "How To Lose Time And Money" [1] and
it remembered me how fast you could lose focus on your main project,
being distracted by "works works" (the one that pay your bill), the
time you pass to fix bugs raised by users of your opensource work,
twitter, email, life (especially administrative tasks).

I'm managing some opensource code that I maintain actively, have some
customers and basically I have busy day. Hopefully I don't sleep a
lot. But i'm starting to to feel annoyed, somehow guilty. I've 3
projects on my todo list i'm working on since sometimes, and if they
aren't out, that's not because I'm rewriting them every day I've an
idea (though it happened in the past - for the good I hope -). No this
is just because it's difficult to find the time to write them. I
opensource all of my work (at least the work I use), and I really like
it. But opensourcing a work, isn't enough, you have to maintain it,
write the doc, help the users, add some users features. It take times.
The more work you have opensourced, the more time you will need. And
customers, well... are customers.

My neck hurts, some stuff I do doesn't make sense . Alarms are here,
but I continue to ignore them mostly to honor above. But it's about
time to change it. My plan for next months is to reboot my work, with
more focus on my real projects than the rest. I will continue to
maintain my code but the other way. New features will happen more
because I need them, than from user feedback or others. Of course I
will accept patches, corrections. But idea is here :)

This reboot also implies some other changes I will speak more in the
future. It's about time . And if you have any ideas, don't hesitate.

- benoît, somewhere in France (49°16'0 N, 2°28'29" E)

[1] http://paulgraham.com/selfindulgence.html

Tyler Gillies

Sep 22, 2010, 12:31:54 PM9/22/10
to nympho...@googlegroups.com
Personally, my own life philosophy is to figure out what *I* want and go after that. Yeah it miss a lot of "opportunity" for "success", but in the end I'm happy and I think thats what matters.
--
http://www.readwriteweb.com/about#tyler

Benoit Chesneau

Oct 5, 2010, 12:03:25 PM10/5/10
to nymphormation

On Sep 22, 6:31 pm, Tyler Gillies <ty...@pdxbrain.com> wrote:
> Personally, my own life philosophy is to figure out what *I* want and go
> after that. Yeah it miss a lot of "opportunity" for "success", but in the
> end I'm happy and I think thats what matters.
> --http://www.readwriteweb.com/about#tyler
>
> My website:http://list.pdxbrain.com

I think you're right. Just forgot that a little under user pressure.
Now i'm focused on my project and feel better.