medicaid transportation

Jan Dempsey

Sep 16, 2011, 2:30:11 PM9/16/11
to NYMobilityManagers
This story appeared in The Post-Standard (Syracuse) this morning

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/syracuse_firm_adds_80_jobs_to.html

and I would like to know how the change in how the state is handling
medicaid transportation has had an impact (or will have) in your
county.

DSS in Cortland County currently contracts with First Transit to
handle medicaid transportation and that money is the major source of
revenue for the transit company.

Any comments?

Jan Dempsey
Mobility Management Coordinator
Seven Valleys Health Coalition
50 Clinton Avenue
Cortland, New York 13045
jdem...@sevenvalleyshealth.org
607-756-4198

Amber Simmons

Sep 16, 2011, 2:41:56 PM9/16/11
to nymobilit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jan,

Currently we are handling Medicaid calls and this could be coming down our road too. In some cases I've heard there aren't any problems, but the needs of the individual can get lost in an already cumbersome system.

I know our callers appreciate (as do our providers) speaking with the same people who know them and what's available. I'm not convinced an outside call center can necessarily provide the best service for people. I may stand corrected.

Amber Simmons
Mobility Manager
Arc of Schuyler/Schuyler County Transit
203 12th St.
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
607-535-3555

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/syracuse_firm_adds_80_jobs_to.html

Any comments?

http://www.MobilityManager.weebly.com

************************Internet Email Confidentiality *********************************

The information contained in this message (including any attachments) may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that it is strictly prohibited (a) to disseminate, distribute or copy this communication or any of the information contained in it, or (b) to take any action based on the information in it. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Petrie, Betty

Sep 16, 2011, 4:44:26 PM9/16/11
to nymobilit...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all
Syracuse's Centro public transportation system has lived with MAS since its inception in 2004. One of the first actions they take is to review all individuals with transports done by taxi, van or car. If they can use public transit, they are sent transit fare for their appointment. The next group for review are those using wheelchairs and scooters. If they live within the paratransit service area they are told to apply for the ADA complementary paratransit service of the public transportation provider. As you can imagine, this shifts the transportation burden and costs to public transit. In Onondaga County and now Oneida County our Call-A-Bus service has seen a growth of perhaps 50%, more trips, more mobility device trips, more calltakers, more strain on the phone system etc. I meet with advocacy groups monthly and they were very displeased with the shift in Medicaid service, but their complaints fell on deaf ears as the contract involves a mandate to save the counties money. After 7 years, the anger has subsided and we provide the rides, and frankly, the public gets the shaft. It costs public transit 35-40 a paratransit ride subsidized by the taxpayer. It used to cost 25 to 30 a ride when done by the privates and paid for by the county taxpayer. Bottom line the old system was less costly.
Betty

Ella Kondrat

Mar 6, 2012, 1:12:26 PM3/6/12
to nymobilit...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I just recieved a call from a man covered by Medicaid, but who couldn't get a bus pass for his many medical appointments.  I called Broome DSS and found out that they had just outsourced their transportation to the aforementioned Medical Answering Services at the beginning of the month, and it is a lengthy automated system to get through.  I'm now trying to find someone who knows what's going on.  Not very promising.

Ella

DBen...@co.livingston.ny.us

Mar 6, 2012, 1:37:55 PM3/6/12
to nymobilit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ella

When the county decides to  "outsource" their Medicaid transportation, such as Broome has done with MAS, there isn't much you can do, the person needs to make their needs known to MAS and then MAS will arrange whatever transportation they deem to be most appropriate and cost effective.

 We will be talking a little bit about this in our 3/28/12 Mobility Managers meeting.  I was on hold this morning for 17 minutes with MAS about an issue we had with someone moving from a MAS county into ours.  So, the wait can be lengthy.

Denise Bentley

http://groups.google.com/group/nymobilitymanagers?hl=en?hl=en

http://www.MobilityManager.weebly.com

This message may contain confidential information for the use of the addressee(s) above and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, or copying this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, immediately notify us by replying to the message and delete the original message immediately thereafter.
Thank you.

Karen Sullivan

Mar 7, 2012, 9:28:32 AM3/7/12
to nymobilit...@googlegroups.com, Ella Kondrat, Ethel Benninger

In a meeting last week with Schoharie County, Ethel Benninger mentioned they too just switched over. I am cc’ing Ethel to make her aware of your circumstances. I am sure you will hear from her

Karen Sullivan, Sr. Planner

Otsego County Planning & Solid Waste Department

197 Main Street

Cooperstown, NY 13326

(607)547-4225 (T)

(607)547-4285 (F)

www.otsegocounty.com/planning

P Please, don't print if you don't have to.

I just recieved a call from a man covered by Medicaid, but who couldn't get a bus pass for his many medical appointments.  I called Broome DSS and found out that they had just outsourced their transportation to the aforementioned Medical Answering Services at the beginning of the month, and it is a lengthy automated system to get through.  I'm now trying to find someone who knows what's going on.  Not very promising.

Ella

http://www.MobilityManager.weebly.com

Disclaimer:

This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential information and is intended only for
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any review, dissemination, or copying of this communication
by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail, delete and destroy all copies of the original message. No responsibility is
accepted by Otsego County Government for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt of this
message.

** Otsego County's Email System scanned this e-mail for viruses, vandals and malicious content **

Mengel, Dwight (TOMPKINS)

Mar 7, 2012, 10:08:11 AM3/7/12
to nymobilit...@googlegroups.com, Bodnar, Deana (TOMPKINS)

Here is the website for MAS LLC  https://www.medanswering.com/

Dwight Mengel
Chief Transportation Planner
Tompkins County Dept of Social Services

320 W. Martin Luther King Jr. St.

Ithaca, NY 14850
607 274-5605 voice, 607 274-5666 fax

www.tccoordinatedplan.weebly.com

www.mobilitymanager.weebly.com

Apr 3, 2012, 11:51:09 AM4/3/12
to nymobilit...@googlegroups.com
An interesting video of a peer-to-peer carsharing app from Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ScZINwdwo