Re: [nyleps] Digest for NYleps@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Bernie Carr

Jul 18, 2023, 12:46:00 PM7/18/23
to NYl...@googlegroups.com
So an Appalachian brown!

On Jul 18, 2023 1:05 AM, NYl...@googlegroups.com wrote:
rick cavasin <rrr...@gmail.com>: Jul 17 08:51PM -0400

Hi Colleen,

It looks like an Appalachian Brown to my eye but I passed it along to David
Hoag, who spends a lot more time than I do squinting at Lethe on
iNaturalist, and he provided the following assessment:

Re: Stacey's NYS leps Lethe:
Appalachian Brown (Lethe appalachia)

No notably sharp teeth nor notches on the postmedian lines.
Hindwing postbasal line is unbroken —
the upper part curves to meet the lower part at the upper vein of the
cell.
The apparent camera/computer color seems to be grayish per appalachia;
and the photo may have been taken in a wooded area?
~ (The forewing eye-spot outline is very tightly wrapped around each.)

Dave