Hairstreaks!!!!

Colleen Wolpert

Jun 30, 2023, 3:07:49 PM6/30/23
to Bluewing BirdListServ, New York Leps

Hey Lep Lovers,

One of my favorite times of the year is when the Hairstreaks are flying.  The time is brief, so I soak up every chance I get to view them.  The weather forecast makes it challenging, so I am thrilled to be home today to see the first ones – Banded Hairstreak acting territorial over the Hop Vine for some strange reason and Striped Hairstreak on the few blooming common milkweed.

Other flyers in my yard include Tiger Swallowtail, Mourning Cloak, Great Spangled Fritillary, Meadow Fritillary, Pearl Crescent, Red Admiral, White Admiral, Azure hanging around the Hop Vine (Humulus lupulus), Silver-spotted Skipper, Peck’s Skipper, and Cabbage Whites.  Spotted Thyris moth on Fleabane.

Hoping that I am getting this out early enough that others can check their milkweed and find something exciting as well.

I continue to post many of my moth sightings on iNaturalist.  Prior to today, moth sightings have been far more exciting than butterfly sightings.

Observations · iNaturalist

Colleen