Leonard's skipper

Steven Daniel

Sep 11, 2023, 6:07:14 PM9/11/23
to New York Leps
In our part of New York’s North Country, Leonard’s skipper is encountered occasionally. This afternoon, however, I think I saw more than I’ve ever seen at one time. They were nectaring avidly on stiff-leaved aster - Ionactis linariifolia. It’s an aster that grows have in sandy areas in northern and eastern NY - it may be my favorite aster. And Leonard’s may be my favorite grass skipper (I’m kind of fickle …today it is my favorite anyway!) We probably had 15 - 20 or more in a relatively small area with warm sun and lots of Ionactis. Some were on the ground among grasses and sedges - I wondered if they were ovipositiing but couldn’t confirm that.

Other butterflies in a short outing this afternoon incuded tawny-edged skipper, Compton tortoiseshell, Eastern comma, several clouded sulfurs, and American copper. Some pix on Inat here https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?on=2023-09-11&place_id=any&q=stammer&user_id=stevendaniel&verifiable=any

Steven Daniel
Edwards, NY

rc...@nyc.rr.com

Sep 11, 2023, 7:28:18 PM9/11/23
to Steven Daniel, New York Leps, SW-Leps, wan...@embarqmail.com
Steven, Interesting, I understand that it's also a good year for Leonard's in No NJ. Not aware of any re-patriation of the species where it's been lost in our immediate area (NYC-area / Westchester). But one can always hope.