RED ADMIRALS EVERYWHERE

Colleen Wolpert

Apr 29, 2024, 10:46:03 AMApr 29
to Bluewing Google Group, New York Leps

Red Admirals are EVERYWHERE!  I paused on my walk and counted 5 in one little spot.  They were nectaring on an escaped Barberry as well as Autumn Olive.  Ugh.  In my yard, one was nectaring on my Pin Cherry.  Check your flowering trees!

As they typically do, the Red Admirals circled back around often landing at my feet when I stood still.  The Mourning Cloak did this as well.

Colleen

William Evans

Apr 29, 2024, 11:30:25 AMApr 29
to Colleen Wolpert, New York Leps

Thanks for the heads up. Colleen.

I just walked outside and did a 15-minute count in a patch of my yard that has been a good flight indicator in the past. I tallied 23 northbound medium-sized butterflies, mostly Red Admirals, with a few ladies and unidentifieds in the mix.

Bill

Bill Evans

Danby NY

William Evans

Apr 29, 2024, 3:42:18 PMApr 29
to Colleen Wolpert, New York Leps

The 23 individuals in northbound flight crossed an ~100-ft east-west line. These individuals were all flying low, less than 10-ft above ground. I didn’t check the sky for highfliers.

In four additional15-minute counts crossing the same ~100 ft location in my yard from noon to 1pm, I tallied 13/18/18/18….these appeared to be mostly Red Admirals but included two ladies and one Questionmark, all northbound as described previously.

Then, around 2:30pm, in the nearly vacant parking lot at Pyramid Mall north of the city of Ithaca (south of Best Buy & Dick;s), I tallied the northbound Red Admiral movement across a 20-car-length west-east running span (~300 ft) with binoculars looking horizontally at eye level.  I counted the time it took to reach 50 presumed R Admirals passing and on the two occasions I did this the time was ~ 7 minutes….conservatively 100/15 minutes.

Strong movement throughout the Ithaca area today.

Bill

Erin Riddle

Apr 29, 2024, 7:07:14 PMApr 29
to jshe...@binghamton.edu, Bluewing Google Group, New York Leps, spid...@stny.rr.com

I agree, too! I saw so many, many, many Red admirals today on my lunchtime walk through the village of Owego. It was lovely!

Attached are some photos I took and posted to Inaturalist. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos.

Erin Riddle, PhD
grant writer / editor
teacher / translator
www.erinriddle.com

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 5:48 PM 'Julian Shepherd' via bluewing-group <bluewin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I agree. Classically they are migrants from the Southeast, but I wonder if the mild winter here allowed some to overwinter either as pupae or adults.

Julian Shepherd
Associate Professor of Biology
Binghamton University