White M Hairstreak? on Witch Hazel

Colleen Wolpert

Aug 5, 2023, 5:37:44 PM8/5/23
to New York Leps

I could not get a decent photo and continue to debate White M and Oak Hairstreak in my head.

This hairstreak repeatedly zipped around and then perched on young Witch Hazel trees in a mixed forest of oaks, basswood, and more.  Located on a seasonal road in Tioga Co., Ballou Rd., not far from the remains of a reddish tree that had been in the road.

My question to the group is whether there is any history of using H. virginiana as a hostplant.  Cech & Tudor mentions “others” in the north.

I have had White M later in August at Oakley Corners (Tioga Co.).

It liked this tree the most and can be “seen” at the top of the straight trunk.  So sorry I could not get a better photo, but if anyone looks for this I am hoping the tree with the sign lets you know you are in the correct spot.

Other butterflies seen on Ballou Rd. today (to be uploaded to iNaturalist under spider99 later) include:

Possible Spicebush Swallowtail

Cabbage White

Clouded Sulphur

E. Tailed – Blue

Azures – large and plentiful

Common Wood Nymph

Viceroy

White Admirals

Silver-spotted Skipper

Possibly a Broad-winged skipper (photo on iNat.)

Duskywings

Crescent

Fritillaries

Monarch caterpillar

Colleen Wolpert, who was just out for a walk and saw some butterflies

Tioga Co.

IMG_9709.jpeg

rc...@nyc.rr.com

Aug 5, 2023, 9:32:40 PM8/5/23
to Colleen Wolpert, New York Leps

Hi, good effort, but can’t say from photo, or from perch location. Can’t resolve ‘em all!