Machining in NYC

Anthony Ortiz

Aug 3, 2018, 11:54:19 AM8/3/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hello and welcome to moviephone!

Sorry, wrong group...

I’ve been searching far and wide for a course in NYC where I can learn how to fashion parts for pet projects using a lathe, mill, and c&c (learning fusion or SOLIDWORKS) but can’t find anything in NYC. Is anyone aware of a shop or individual who’s offering a hands-on course after working hours that goes through the basics and beyond that will give a solid foundation for hobby level machining?

Many thanks in advance,

Anthony

Aziz Nawrozie

Aug 3, 2018, 12:30:56 PM8/3/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
First thing that comes to mind is the intro to CNC machining class that Fat Cat Fab Lab offers (disclaimer: I've never been myself) :

https://www.fatcatfablab.org/workshops

perhaps you can go to their course, and then see if anybody is willing to offer more help at their weekly open house?

Anthony Ortiz

Aug 3, 2018, 2:38:52 PM8/3/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aziz,

Thanks, I saw this link but it seems to be a one-off course with no follow up so I dismissed it. You have a point about the networking aspect, perhaps someone there would take pity on lil’ ol’ me and take me under their wing, so I registered for the course. If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know.

Thanks!

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Zions

Aug 3, 2018, 2:50:06 PM8/3/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Staten Island Makerspace has more of a metal-fabbing vibe than the other spaces I've seen. They don't offer classes in what you've requested per se, but here's a link to their equipment.  That's their metal shop, they have a jewelry bench and some other areas.

They're a couple miles from the ferry, and there's Flagship Brewery about halfway between.

Michael Zions

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM Anthony Ortiz <anthon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello and welcome to moviephone!

Sorry, wrong group...

I’ve been searching far and wide for a course in NYC where I can learn how to fashion parts for pet projects using a lathe, mill, and c&c (learning fusion or SOLIDWORKS) but can’t find anything in NYC. Is anyone aware of a shop or individual who’s offering a hands-on course after working hours that goes through the basics and beyond that will give a solid foundation for hobby level machining?

Many thanks in advance,

Anthony

Ann LePore

William Gilmore

Aug 4, 2018, 12:38:08 PM8/4/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I would have shown you a few things but I'm in the process of moving out of the city.  Techshop had a full machine shop.  What happened to that equipment and space?

William Gilmore

Discover cause I'm passionate about: http://www.experience.camp

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:30 PM, Ann LePore <ale...@ramapo.edu> wrote:
[...]

Anthony Ortiz

Aug 5, 2018, 9:46:41 AM8/5/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
William! Why are you leaving the city? What’s going to happen to your shop Gotham Machine? I once had the pleasure of meeting you guys and I was very happy with the job you did of adapting my Keurig coffee machine with a motor I provided so I can electronically open and close it; the mount you guys made was fantastic. Soon after my little ones were born and I was on hiatus for a few years but now I’m crawling back on to the scene. If you’re really leaving it would be a great loss to the community.

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nycresistormicrocon...@googlegroups.com.

William Gilmore

Aug 5, 2018, 10:09:52 AM8/5/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Leaving the city to get out of the city! Thanks for the kind words.  Sorry I didn't place your name.  I enjoyed the Keurig project!

I'm still taking NYC work if it can be put in the mail or on a truck.  I'll be back fairly often if meetings are required.

William Gilmore

Discover cause I'm passionate about: http://www.experience.camp

Anthony Ortiz

Aug 5, 2018, 10:21:57 AM8/5/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com

Well let us know if you're planning on opening another shop and what's going to happen to the one in Queens. How has business been in NYC?

Aug 5, 2018, 10:40:50 AM8/5/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
I've been doing the prototype / job shop business for a while so I'm going to take a bit of time to think about where I want to focus and see what else is out there.  I'll definitely still have a shop although it will take me a couple months to get up and running.

Business in NYC is great.  High rent but lots of interesting projects.  Definitely something new almost every day!

Sent: Sunday, August 5, 2018 10:09:47 AM

Anthony Ortiz

Aug 8, 2018, 8:32:14 PM8/8/18
to nycresistormi...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I went to fatcat lab and got the hang of using their cnc machine, so I got my beak wet a bit, but they do not have metal lathes or mills and could only point at the Staten Island maker space as a possibility. That’s a bit out of the way but if there’s nothing else out there I’ll check it out. If anyone hears of anything in the city please let me know.

Thanks!

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Zions