Laserable enclosures?

1 view

Andy Leviss

Aug 24, 2010, 1:34:59 AM8/24/10
to nycresis...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
I'm looking for advice on a handheld-ish enclosure to use for the MIDI
remotes I build. I've been using an ABS enclosure from Hammond, the
1553D series (the BKBK model, if you want to get all specific as to
color):

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1553colors.htm

This enclosure is 5.8"x3.5"x.98". I need to fit a MIDI connector in
the end, so I can't go thinner. Length is somewhat flexible, just need
room for four buttons at the bottom and a Nymph MCU board up top below
the MIDI and power inputs.

I love the enclosure, but it doesn't take engraving. I cut the face
panel on the laser, but need to print labels/overlays rather than
being able to engrave them. It's a mix of the way that ABS melts,
and--equally as much--the texture of the ABS that makes engraving not
read as well as it would on acrylic.

Does anybody know of a decent looking enclosure made of acrylic or
something else laserable that would be comparable? The rubber sides
aren't a necessity, as long as the finished product looks
"professional". Size is what matters. In my dream world, it'd have a
40x50 mm set of mounting points on one end for a PCB, but that's not a
dealbreaker, as long as the board fits I can mount my own standoffs
(that's what I do with the Hammond). The key is being able to both
cleanly engrave and cut.

TIA,
Andy