NYCPlaywrights March 11, 2023

NYCPlaywrights

Mar 11, 2023, 5:12:56 PM3/11/23
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

*** FREE THEATER IN NYC ***

The Parent-Caregiver Playwrights Group presents:
Readings of three new plays by Enid Graham, Lia Romeo, and Adam Szymkowicz

TENDERNESS AND GRATITUDE NUMBER FOUR
by Enid Graham
directed by Jess Chayes
Saturday, March 18 at 1 pm

THE CHRISTMAS TREE FARM
by Adam Szymkowicz
directed by Kelly O'Donnell

THE AGENCY
by Lia Romeo
directed by Pesha Rudnick

These readings are presented by the Parent-Caregiver Playwrights Group, a selective workshop for playwrights who are also parents or caregivers. The group is sponsored by Project Y Theatre and has received support from New Georges, the Juilliard School (Marks Center), 5th Floor Theatre, and others. Our first-year cohort includes playwrights Liz Appel, Eleanor Burgess, Mathilde Dratwa, Enid Graham, Mary Elizabeth Hamilton, Ying Ying Li, Erin Mallon, Deepa Purohit, Deneen Reynolds-Knott, Lia Romeo, and Adam Szymkowicz.

New Georges "The Room"
520 8th Avenue 3rd Floor
New York, NY
https://newgeorges.org
For questions and reservations email pcplaywri...@gmail.com.

*** THE NEGOTIATING STAGE ***

STRUGGLING WITH A DRAFT?  STUDY PLAYWRITING WITH THE MAN WHO WROTE THE BOOK! Award-winning playwright, Jeffrey Sweet has a few places open in his weekly playwriting class. This is your opportunity to work one-to-one with the man who wrote “The Dramatists Toolkit”, the best-selling book on playwriting. Sessions begin on the first Sunday of each month and cost $140 per month. That’s just $35 per class.

Get ONE FREE LESSON here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNIQCSMY5tI&t=1s&ab_channel=JeffreySweet
SIGN UP for the next session here: www.thenegotiatingstage.com/classes

*** OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYWRIGHTS ***

The 26th Aurand Harris Memorial Playwriting Award

This award was created in 1997 to honor the late Aurand Harris (1915-1996) for his lifetime dedication to all aspects of professional theatre for young audiences.A panel of judges named by the NETC Executive Board will administer this award. A staged reading of the prize-winning scripts will be held along with the Annual Excellence in Theatre Awards ceremony.

***

The Neukom Institute for Computational Science at Dartmouth College – in collaboration with Northern Stage – is excited to announce the 2023 Neukom Institute Literary Arts Awards for Playwriting, for full-length plays and other full-length works for the theater addressing the question “What does it mean to be a human in a computerized world?”.

***

Edmonds Driftwood Players is pleased to announce our theme and call for submissions for our 12th Annual Festival of Shorts. Our festival provides an opportunity for playwrights to have their works brought to life on stage, as well as gain recognition and potential awards.

*** FOR MORE INFORMATION about these and other opportunities see the web site at https://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** THEATER TECHNOLOGY ***

The theater has been around for centuries, entertaining audiences with its stories, characters, and settings. However, technology development has had a significant impact on the theatrical world. In particular, it has allowed plays to reach a wider audience than ever before. Through live streaming services and online platforms, people worldwide can now watch sports as they happen without even having to leave their homes. Additionally, technology has made it easier for people to learn about new plays and find ones they might enjoy. Whether they’re looking for comedies, dramas, or musicals, there’s sure to be a play that suits their taste. In short, technology has had a profound effect on the world of theater, making it easier than ever before to enjoy this timeless art form.

More...
https://www.carouselnews.com/technology-on-theatrical-plays/

***

To give you a better understanding of the way technology is impacting the theater, let’s take a look at the different technologies that are improving the experience of those watching:

1. LIGHTING DESIGN
Lighting has come a long way from building open-air theaters so natural light would hit the stage. Now, electric lighting allows theatrical productions to take place at any time of day, with lighting design adding new depth to performances. Both LED lights and digital lighting have changed theater lighting.

LED Lights
Until recently, theaters relied on traditional lighting systems that required a lengthy setup process. To set up a stage light, a lighting designer would often need to position three hanging lights just right with each light containing its own gel. These gels helped turn the light into a specific color that a production needed.

Light emitting diodes (LEDs) first hit the stage around 2007, but they weren’t widely adopted at first. The original LED lights only came with a red, green and blue combination. For some time, light designers found it hard to make LED lights look good on the skin. Because of this, they were largely used for lighting background surfaces and other supplementary areas.

The development of LEDs with seven different colors gave designers a broader range of color options to work with and helped them find colors that looked good on actors. This range of colors proved vital to LED’s success in the theater. Lighting designers were blown away by the ability to instantly change colors through the digital lighting processes without having to rely on the mechanical means of the past.

More...
https://illuminated-integration.com/blog/how-technology-has-changed-theater/

***

At this very moment, the theatre industry is being thrust into a site-specific venue called the internet. Like any other site-specific process, the unconventional performance environment should inspire us to define what makes theatre theatre and celebrate how our form can adapt to any space it inhabits. This present moment places us in an exciting crossroad between former traditions and the emergence of technical and multi-platformed storytelling. I do not believe we are in a purgatory until we return to in-person venues, but instead that we are on the precipice of incredible innovation. The future of our art form will be deeply impacted by the ways in which we respond to the present situation today.

More...
https://howlround.com/technological-theatre-experimenters

***

Now technology can be a wonderful thing, and as I've said before many very old theatre technologies including limelight were new once. So I certainly don't have any objection to theatre-makers using every single tool at their disposal. For all its many, many merits, the sheer migraine-inducing opening sequences of DV8's otherwise very wonderful To Be Straight With You is a reminder that just because you've got every colour under the sun available on the palette, using them all at the same time can be a mistake.

Often it seems to be a case of boys just getting over-excited about their new toys, which is very much what seems to have happened with David Rosenberg's Contains Violence. So thrilled is it by the potential of using binaural recordings that it entirely forgot to pay necessary attention to the script or visuals.

The technology has become the show, rather than being in service of the show. Back in the 80s I remember once joking with a colleague that the growth of computer technologies would eventually led to a situation where actors become redundant and we would simply go to the theatre to watch the set.

More...
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/theatreblog/2008/apr/17/theatretechnology

***

As the life of live theatre slowly transitions back to normalcy, it becomes apparent that the technological makeup of the industry is advanced and is only becoming more impressive as the years go by. Traditionally, a production’s props and set construction is designated to a team to design and create for a production. Using various materials and resources, this process can often be one of the more expensive and labor-intensive aspects of a production. However, as technology advances, 3D printing provides aid to set and prop construction immensely. Amanda Dodge, a STEAM educator and author, mentions that “with 3D printing Hultgren and Beatty can design their sets online and then send the prototypes to be made of plastic. This saves considerable time and effort — especially in an industry operating on tight deadlines,” (Dodge). Through the use of 3D printing, design teams can cut back on effort, resources, and time to plan their projects more effectively.

More...
https://kennyvantr.medium.com/the-future-of-technology-in-theatre-93ba0c2bdd16

***

Change begins at home, especially for such a robust and old industry as the theater business. Don’t be fooled—there are plenty of performing companies, theater guilds and independent entertainment creators who have explored the world of immersive tech before. Now the Musical Theatre Factory is getting involved by introducing MTFxR, a new initiative to explore and support the creation of musicals through mixed reality.

Founded in 2014, the Musical Theatre Factory has quickly grown in its ability to nurture musical theatre creations. Self-defined on its website as a “radical incubator, lab, and playground, allowing artists the time and space necessary to innovate form and genre, and create work that inspires civic discourse,” the Musical Theatre Factory has been active in all stages of development for over 130 new works and has served over 900 writers, actors, directors, musicians, and multidisciplinary artists.

More...
https://vrscout.com/news/musical-theatre-factory-immersive-theater/

***

It is the perfect play for high school students, with nods to Beyoncé, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Adele, Nicki Minaj, Rhianna and Lizzo that buck and revise the notion that Tudor England was lily white and buttoned up. It is also a technically complex show: hundreds of lighting cues turn the stage into a pop concert, intimate chapel, German rave (we see you, Berghain), elegiac and light-filled chamber, and Tinder-esque game show. There’s live music and near-constant movement on the stage. A confetti cannon turns the end of the show into a party.

“Theater in some ways is a form of construction,” Alexander said, and she wanted her students to see it in action. During the school year, Co-Op students in tech theater work on a performance every two months, from the student creative writing showcase to the fall play to the band concert. At any given moment, one team of students is working on a poster, another is figuring out lighting, and a third reading a script before they step into a given play’s world.

More...
https://www.newhavenarts.org/arts-paper/articles/six-opens-a-tech-theater-window-to-students