NYCPlaywrights March 2, 2024

NYCPlaywrights

Mar 2, 2024, 5:03:19 PMMar 2
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

*** FREE THEATER IN NYC ***

OK!
by Christin Eve Cato
By Egg & Spoon Theatre Collective, Inc.

A cast and crew of Latine performers prepare for a non-union bilingual production of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Oklahoma, playing at a regional theater in Oklahoma. When one of the leads discovers she is pregnant and gets her abortion appointment canceled, they band together as they navigate a post-Roe America. In their dialogue comes revelations about their careers, their personal lives, and their relationship with a society that has become desperate to discount their own humanity.

Saturday, March 23 · 2 - 3:30pm EDT
Hostos Center for the Arts & Culture
450 Grand Concourse The Bronx, NY 10451

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/reading-ok-by-christin-eve-cato-tickets-849524479587?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

*** NYCPLAYWRIGHTS ZOOMERS ***

There are spaces available for NYCPlaywrights Zoomers for our March sessions.
Check out our website at https://nycp-zoomers.blogspot.com

For more information or to sign up, email na...@nycplaywrights.org

*** OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYWRIGHTS ***

Cork Arts Theatre: View from a Lamppost seeks 10-minute plays

We are now looking for submissions for our ‘Views from…’ short play event.
The setting is a simple one – a bench in a park overlooked by a tall lamp post. What stories has this lamp post been a witness to? What funny, tragic, heart-warming or hair-raising conversations has it overheard? Who are the characters who have sat under its light for a short while?

***

The MAC Theater Playwrights Incubator is a program for first-time playwrights to see their work realized on the stage.

Finding theaters to produce new or unpublished plays can be an obstacle for any new playwright. The MAC Theater Playwrights Incubator is a structured program that aims to discover and support, through workshop and production, new stage plays by first time, unpublished regional playwrights.

These plays are small cast shows with one to six characters. Selected playwrights will work with two mentors who are experienced theater artists to fine-tune their plays over the course of several months and prepare the script for production.

***

Stonecoast Review seeks work for issue #21 - Summer 2024 - Ethical Storytelling
We are especially interested in pieces that demonstrate a commitment to questioning the “truths” we take for granted, pushing the boundaries of the status quo, and upholding the dignity of writer and audience in craft.

*** FOR MORE INFORMATION about these and other opportunities see the web site at https://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** COLE ESCOLA ***

“For God’s sake, Mary!” Abraham Lincoln says to his wife in “Oh, Mary!,” Cole Escola’s unhinged historical fantasia that imagines its protagonist as an alcoholic cabaret singer married to a gay guy. “How would it look for the first lady of the United States to be flitting around a stage right now in the ruins of war!”

“How would it look?!” she responds. “Sensational!”

It’s a moment reminiscent of Escola’s early YouTube humor, like in the sketch “Bernadette Peters Does Her Taxes.” An accountant exasperatingly asks for a ballpark figure, and Escola’s Bernadette, wiggling like a charmed snake with their hands on their hips, asks, “Is this a ballpark figure?”

So stupid. So campy. So unexpected. And yes, like Mrs. Lincoln, even sensational.

More...
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/27/theater/oh-mary-cole-escola-review.html

***

ESCOLA: I had the idea in 2009. I liked the idea so much that I was scared to write it, you know what I mean? I wasn’t sure I could get it down as good as I had it in my mind. And then in 2020, during lockdown, I had nothing going on and I thought, “Well, get it out or die with it.”

BUSCH: Mary Todd Lincoln is just one of those people I’ve always been fascinated by.

ESCOLA: I love cultural tent-poles that people know about, but where there’s so many blanks you can fill in. I like making stuff up about her, but I also love the real stories about her. Her spending sprees, her acting out at parties, people sending Abraham notes saying, “Your wife is behaving terribly, please come get her.”

BUSCH: When does the play take place?

ESCOLA: It takes place in the weeks leading up to Abraham’s assassination and up through his assassination. But I make up the series of events.

More...
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/theater/how-cole-escola-reimagined-mary-todd-lincoln-as-a-debauched-cabaret-star

***

Front Porch Scene by Cole Escola
From my special "Help! I'm Stuck!" - a scene from the middle of a play that doesn't actually exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnDF2xvyLvg

***

SEDARIS: You want gay people. I’m not joking. It’s the best audience ever. I’m going to bring this up. During AIDS, that’s a whole audience that died.

ESCOLA: Yeah. That’s what Fran Lebowitz talks about.

SEDARIS: Probably heard that from her. That whole audience went away, and then now what do you do? Big loss.

MACIAS: Very existential.

ESCOLA: Thanks, Amy.

SEDARIS: And you Cole? When did you feel you were part of the community?

ESCOLA: I don’t know. I guess just because I am gay, I don’t think about it like that.

SEDARIS: Well let’s expand this then. What do you think about a straight audience?

ESCOLA: [Laughs] They’re not ready for me.

SEDARIS: You don’t think so?

ESCOLA: Well I think straight executives don’t think that straight people would accept me. But I think that straight people would.

MACIAS: I mean they already did, sort of. Right?

ESCOLA: I don’t know. When I opened for Amy Schumer it went really well. Even though I was on stage in my underwear, in a wig, playing a woman.

More...
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/wigging-out-with-amy-sedaris-and-cole-escola

***

Who Is Laura Ingraham? Narrated by Cole Escola | NowThis

You might know her as the Fox News anchor who told LeBron James to 'shut up & dribble,' or the woman whose RNC wave looked a little too Nazi-esque. Here's what else you should know about the ultra-conservative Laura Ingraham.

FYI, Laura Ingraham's radio show has been canceled due to advertisers boycotting her show for mocking Parkland survivor, David Hogg. She's still on Fox News attacking immigrants, refugees, Muslims, the Obamas, LeBron James and other groups she's not a fan of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQuaSLCFDI

***

Cole Escola sings the Cher classic "Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves" to pay homage to the legendary diva for The Meeting* on July 24, 2013 at 54 Below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AJ8ImRXU

***

Why This NYC 'Downtown Darling' Can't Seem To Keep His Clothes On (2012)
You never know just what Cole Escola's gonna do, but you want to be there when he does it.
Billed as a "white trash girl-boy from the backwoods of Oregon," the diminutive 25-year-old actor, singer and sketch comedian certainly has a flair for the unexpected when it comes to his unique brand of performance art. After some well-received performances at Joe's Pub -- in which Escola paired vaudeville grit with modern-day Manhattan sass -- he's now prepping to debut his "Downtown Darling" show on Sept. 24 at 54 Below, the newly-opened New York City nightspot which has already hosted the likes of Patti LuPone, Brian d'Arcy James and Justin Vivian Bond among others.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cole-escola-downtown-darling-54-below-cabaret_n_1894135