NYCPlaywrights January 13, 2024

NYCPlaywrights

Jan 13, 2024, 5:03:13 PMJan 13
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

*** FREE THEATER IN NYC ***

THE MEETING: A Play by Shades of Truth Theater
Two men… two strategies… one goal. This one-act play depicts a fictional meeting in Harlem between two of America’s best-known civil and human rights activists, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X, during the height of the Civil Rights Movement. Their sometimes-opposing philosophies become evident as they debate their respective approaches to pressing social issues. Register for up to 5 free tickets.

Saturday, January 20 · 2 - 3:30pm EST
Central Library
8911 Merrick Blvd. Jamaica, NY 11432

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-meeting-a-play-by-shades-of-truth-theater-tickets-788261630757?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

*** OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYWRIGHTS ***

Go Try Play Write January 2024 prompt: A New Year’s resolution prompt.

Write a ten (10) page maximum scene or a six (6) page maximum monologue of the first challenge to a person’s New Year’s resolution. It’s a resolution that the character has made, and you should choose whether they succeed or fail when confronted.

***

Black Girlz Productions is currently accepting submissions for our Love Letters to the Black Man Series (Remix) v3.

We are seeking monologues or open letters around the theme of APOLOGY (to the black man). The word count max is 350 words. Writers can submit up to three monologues. PDF or Microsoft Word is acceptable. Writers can submit monologues that have been previously produced.

The selected work will be presented at our Love Letters to the Black Man event in Southern California. We are currently accepting global submissions. There are no restrictions on eligibility.

***

Crowname seeks submissions for its 6th issue
Current Theme: Orange, Yellow
Introducing our Rainbow Color series (but backwards)! 6th issue edition!
As an optical phenomenon, the circumzenithal arc looks similar to our regular rainbow, but a better description of it would be a type of halo. Often, it is referred to as “a smile in the sky,” and is typically refracted sunlight through ice crystals.

*** FOR MORE INFORMATION about these and other opportunities see the web site at https://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** DREAM TIME ***

The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the great orators of modern times. The civil rights leader and apostle of nonviolent protest developed a style of public address that fused the sacred and the secular, the musical and the prosaic into a passionate inspirational rhetoric invoking a mystical faith in the triumph of humanity's nobler instincts. Dr. King's was a Christian philosophy that insisted, ''You must love your enemies - you must meet hate with love.''

''I Have a Dream'' weaves the texts of Dr. King's speeches, sermons and other writings along with 28 musical numbers into a pageantlike music-drama recounting his life and times, beginning with the Montgomery, Ala., bus boycotts and ending with his assassination in Memphis in 1968, at the age of 39. The production, directed by Woodie King Jr., significantly expands the role of music from the show's 1976 Broadway production. ''We Shall Overcome,'' ''His Eye Is on the Sparrow,'' ''Precious Lord'' and ''Free at Last'' are among the most familiar of the freedom songs, spirituals and gospel hymns interpolated into the documentary text adapted by Josh Greenfeld.

More...
https://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/31/theater/stage-i-have-a-dream-music-drama-on-dr-king.html

***

THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS

Photos of Billy Dee Williams as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in scenes from the Broadway production of the musical play "I Have A Dream".

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/collections/martha-swope-photographs#/?tab=navigation&roots=5:46278380-c5ea-012f-65f0-58d385a7bc34/467d4590-c5ea-012f-6ea9-58d385a7bc34

***

AMERICA: DREAMS and NIGHTMARES » - the life and death of Martin Luther King

Martin Luther King stands on the balcony of a Memphis motel, exhausted and troubled. His liberal allies in government have deserted him for his opposition to Vietnam, his leadership of the Civil Rights movement is challenged by the radical followers of Malcolm X who accuse him of selling out to the white establishment, his own staff fear he has lost direction as he broadens his targets to include poverty itself, and above all his creed of non-violence is mocked and outflanked by extremists and those who simply see it as a form of surrender. Meanwhile the scheming Edgar Hoover of the FBI holds a dossier on his private life that might be released to the press and President any day now with heaven knows what effect on his reputation.

More...
http://theatre.anglais.free.fr/2015_2016_america/download/synopsis_eng.pdf

***

The new play, Moments with Dr. King, is preparing for preliminary stagings prior to a Broadway production. The work is being produced and advised by King confidants Ambassador Andrew Young and Congressman John Lewis.

The play provides factually-based slices of the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. from December 1955 until April 1968. It depicts widely-known historic events as well as more private behind-the-scenes moments, including close-up examinations of Dr. King’s interactions and relationships with Coretta Scott King, other family members, associates, officials and adversaries. The production has secured permission from the King estate to make use of portions of speeches, writings, recordings and other property of the King family.

More...
https://www.theatermania.com/news/moments-with-dr-king-aims-for-broadway-run_42087/

***

The Mountaintop is a bold shape-shifter of a play. Conceived as an imaginary encounter between Martin Luther King Jr and a Memphis motel maid on the night before his assassination in 1968, Katori Hall’s drama begins with flirtation and ends with big existential questions on life, death and religious faith.

It was first staged in 2010 (when it won an Olivier award) and this revival raises the suspense with every strange turn the play takes as it travels from tawdry motel-room naturalism to Beckettian starkness and thence to a spiritual realm.

More...
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/oct/04/the-mountaintop-review-martin-luther-king-royal-exchange

***

"THE MEETING dramatizes a fictional encounter between Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr., two of the most charismatic and important black civil rights leaders of the 1960's, each of whom ended up victims of assassins' bullets. Set in a room at the Hotel Theresa in Harlem, on Valentine's Day 1965, one week before the assassination of Malcolm X, the play offers a challenging and fascinating view of what could have occurred had the two men met to discuss ideology and purpose.

More...
https://americanarchive.org/catalog/cpb-aacip_526-zs2k64c43n

***

A Song for Coretta by Pearl Cleage is an inspiring tribute to Coretta Scott King (1927-2006). It tells the story of five Black women from different backgrounds waiting outside the Ebenezer Baptist Church with other mourners to pay their final respects to the late civil rights activist. The women share their situations and stories of Mrs. King’s influence and perseverance.

More...
https://www.portland5.com/brunish-theatre/events/song-coretta