NYCPlaywrights November 26, 2022

NYCPlaywrights

Nov 26, 2022, 5:06:23 PM11/26/22
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

*** FREE THEATER IN NYC ***

THE CRUCIBLE
by Arthur Miller
Directed by Linda Key, Fordham High School for the Arts is presenting The Crucible. Performed by your Friends at Fordham High School For The Arts & Technically produced by FHSA Technical Crew. Come by for a free evening of a classical theater play. Concessions will be available before the play and during intermissions.

Fri, Dec 9, 2022, 5:30 PM EST
500 E Fordham Rd 500 East Fordham Road The Bronx, NY 10458

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-crucible-by-arther-miller-tickets-471954989077?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

*** OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYWRIGHTS ***

The Black Motherhood and Parenting New Play Festival 2023 ~ Blackboard Plays and Parent Artist Advocacy League (PAAL) partner to uplift the experiences of Black Parenthood. The Black Motherhood and Parenting New Play Festival was established to tell stories from and about Black artists with families.

***

THIRD STONE THEATRE SEEKING FULL-LENGTH AND ONE-ACT PLAY SUBMISSIONS ~ Third Stone Theatre is seeking new plays for productions to be staged as a part of our 2023-24 Season. Thank you for sharing your work and art with us!

***

ENOUGH - plays to end gun violence seeks 10 minute plays ~ Only plays written by writers age 13-19 at the time of submissions will be accepted. ~ Plays must address the issue of gun violence. ~ Completed scripts must be no longer than 10 minutes when read aloud. [A good rule of thumb: 1 page of dialogue between 2+ characters = 1 minute of stage time] Scripts may have a cast size up to, but no more than, six (6) actors.

*** FOR MORE INFORMATION about these and other opportunities see the web site at https://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** HOW TO GET YOUR PLAY PRODUCED ***

It’s not easy to get your script produced, as every place you’ll send your work to likely has a tall stack of unsolicited plays.

You need to put your best foot forward if you want your labor of love to stand out from the rest in that pile. So it’s in your best interest to make sure your script is polished and ready to be produced before sending it out.

If you’ve recently finished your play, set it aside for a few days and come back to it later so that you can look at it with fresh eyes.

More...
https://letterreview.com/how-to-get-your-play-produced-complete-guide/

***

My first two plays were produced the traditional way, by submitting my work to theatres. But at that time, I was young, ambitious, and impatient. I did not like the feeling of having to rely on other people to get my plays produced. I didn’t want to wait for someone to decide to invest in my play. So I took matters into my own hands. I built my own Off-Broadway theatre on 42nd Street in the heart of the theatre district in NYC.

Now that may sound a bit extreme, but as a playwright and artist, you have to be willing to take risks. You need to throw caution to the wind; to believe in your dream with such profound, unconditional faith that you have to be prepared to sacrifice everything. That said, find a way to produce your own play. By any means necessary. You may have to start out simple at first in the sense of set design, cast size, and set changes, but by keeping some of these elements of a play to a minimum, you reduce cost, which increases the chances that you will be able to produce your own show. If you are creative you will find that you can produce a play for very little money.

More...
https://www.pspoets.com/blog/how-to-produce-your-own-plays

***

"You need to stay focused on the work and not compare yourself too much to what's going on around you," says Mark Snyder, author of As Wide As I Can See, which had a recent production at HERE , and A Decent Stretch, which is being produced on April 28-29 by [the claque]. "Just like every writer is different, I feel that one of my big revelations is that every path to getting your work produced is going to be different."
Indeed, there are many different routes to take, from blindly submitting your play to a major producer and hoping it gets rescued from the slush pile, to hooking up with an established theater company willing to work with young writers, to sending your work to the country's major festivals, including the Eugene O'Neill Theatre Center  Summer Festival and the Humana Festival.

More...
http://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/04-2012/getting-your-first-play-produced_55391.html

***

I RECENTLY wrote to a number of the most prestigious theaters in New York informing them that because they've repeatedly refused to accept my new play for consideration I've decided to kill myself. Lincoln Center Theater was the first to respond. They said they don't accept unsolicited suicide notes.

I wrote them back asking how I could get on the list of potentially posthumous playwrights from which they solicit. They wrote back saying I couldn't. They said that their list consists exclusively of writers who are so famous that they are often known by only one name, and that I clearly didn't fall into that category because I was unknown by two. Lincoln Center suggested that I explore theaters with lower standards and wished me success in taking my life.

I next heard from the Manhattan Theater Club. Their policy is to read only synopses of suicide notes. I wanted to kill myself. Synopses have never been my long suit, and I knew that if I didn't make my suicide note compelling I was a dead man. Nevertheless, I gave it a shot. This is what I sent: "Allan Katz's compelling suicide note chronicles the compelling struggle of his frustration with New York's compelling theater scene compelling him to consider taking his own life — a compelling read for anyone who enjoys being compelled."

More...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/theater/newsandfeatures/26katz.html

***

About five years ago I spearheaded the launching of a New Play Fest in Helena, Montana. No, that’s not what I did to get my plays produced, but it definitely got me writing new work. After the first year we started a project called “Montana Short Cuts” to include in the Fest. For the project we solicited Montana playwrights to submit 10-minute plays written specifically for the Fest on a common theme and then selected eight to be performed. Of the eight, one would receive a cash award of $50. For our 2018 Fest we received a submission for the Montana Short Cuts from a playwright who listed his address as Cascade, Montana. I recognized the play as soon as I began reading it. It was a play published by Heartland Plays, Inc. by British author and playwright Dan Weatherer. (What are the odds I’d be one of the Fest producers and also the owner of Heartland Plays, Inc.?) I let my fellow producers know and then I contacted the playwright directly. He immediately responded:

More...
https://backstage.heartlandplays.com/2019/01/08/what-would-you-do-to-get-your-play-produced/

***

Once you’ve written your play, it’s time to share it. Send it in for submissions windows, to literary departments, to ‘scratch nights’. Send it far and wide.

You learn so much about what needs to change in your play when you’re collaborating and when you hear it read by actors. The redrafting carried out on [my play] The High Table during the rehearsed reading process was an instrumental step towards it eventually being staged.

More...
https://www.writersandartists.co.uk/advice/how-get-your-play-published-and-performed