NYCPlaywrights October 15, 2022

NYCPlaywrights

Oct 15, 2022, 5:14:23 PM10/15/22
to NYCPlaywrights
Greetings NYCPlaywrights

*** FREE THEATER IN NYC ***

The Creative Access Grant Reading Series is the first opportunity to hear brand new plays from the playwrights who received our Creative Access Grants.

Primary Stages is collaborating with Latinx Playwrights Circle, National Black Theatre, National Queer Theater, and Pan Asian Repertory Theatre on these grants, who nominated our recipients for this year: Tyler Dobies, Roger Q. Mason, Derek Lee McPhatter, and Justin Santory.

All readings are FREE and open to the public. Readings take place at 59E59 Theaters, Theater A, located at 59 East 59th Street (between Park and Madison Avenues).

October 17 - November 4, 2022

All readings will take place at:
59E59 Theatres
Theater A
59 East 59th Street
(btw Park and Madison Avenues)
New York, NY 10022

https://primarystages.org/explore/creative-access-grants/readings

*** OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLAYWRIGHTS ***

Lakeshore Players is seeking submissions for the 19th annual 10-minute play festival. The ten plays selected will be performed live in White Bear Lake, Minnesota in summer of 2023.

• The play should be approximately ten minutes in length. Plays over 15 minutes long will not be accepted.

• The play must have no more than five onstage (speaking or non-speaking) characters.

• The play should have simple technical requirements. We only have about one minute in between plays to change scenes, so please think about using simple furniture pieces (table, chairs) when writing.

• We will not accept plays that propagate racist, sexist or ableist stereotypes.

• Plays with excessive offensive language, misogynistic through-lines, and extraneous violence or gore will be less likely to be accepted.

***

Bay Street is looking for plays that represent a broad array of voices, viewpoints, cultures, and styles. Writers of all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to submit. New Works is looking for pieces that have had rewrites and are already in development, perhaps currently in their third or fourth draft. Plays should be at a stage where the addition of in-person creatives can be used to their full value.

***

Ghostlight Ensemble is seeking short scripts (a maximum of 15 minutes) that are geared toward young audiences.

Priority will be placed on scripts that are ethnically and culturally diverse, and written by writers of color and/or LGBTQ writers.

This is open to playwrights in any geographic area, though writers in the greater Chicago area will receive priority. NO FEE.

A maximum of 3 actors per script. There are no restrictions, however, on the number of characters. Please note, that while some directors have chosen to use child actors in past pieces, the intent of this festival is to perform for children, not with children.

Plays must have minimal to no technical demands, as there is a possibility these plays will be performed outside and/or in multiple locations. There may be no lighting or backstage area, although minimal sound cues will be available.

*** FOR MORE INFORMATION about these and other opportunities see the web site at https://www.nycplaywrights.org ***

*** MORE MCSWEENEY'S ON THEATER ***

OUR BUS STOP: A PLAY BY THORNTON WILDER
by KERRY ELSON

STAGE MANAGER: This place is a bus stop in Manhattan. The day is Monday. The time is around 6:25 a.m.

A rat family scurries across the sidewalk.

Over there is a condominium under construction. Krispy Kreme’s over yonder. Dunkin’s still farther over. Right here is a tree with a plastic bag in it. Any minute now, people will be walking to this stop to catch a seat on the great M96 crosstown.

A garbage truck roars by. The STAGE MANAGER covers her ears and nods.

At our bus stop, we know very little about everybody, but we’re a family.

More...
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/our-bus-stop-a-play-by-thornton-wilder

***

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING: SHAKESPEAREAN EPISODES OF SEINFELD
by MICHAEL LEONETTI and NICK DiMASO

Hamlet / “The Deal”

The actors re-enact the famous play-within-a-play scene. Hamlet watches the King’s reaction, desperate to see whether Claudius killed his father.

HAMLET: What was that look?

CLAUDIUS: What look? I gave a look?

HAMLET: I know that look. That’s the look of a man who recognizes his wrongdoings dramatized onstage.

More...
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/much-ado-about-nothing-shakespearean-episodes-of-seinfeld

***

I’M THE HIGH SCHOOL’S THEATER DIRECTOR, AND I’VE PRECAST EVERY ROLE IN THIS UPCOMING PRODUCTION OF BYE-BYE BIRDIE
by JUSTIN AVERY SMITH

Thank you to every student who auditioned for Eastborough High School’s production of Bye Bye Birdie! I see each musical as an amazing opportunity to turn developing young talent into the bright stars of tomorrow. Thanks to the literally hundreds of students who turned up at auditions this year in a desperate attempt to impress me, I felt like a kid in a candy store! As such, I’d like to explain some of my casting choices so you’ll all stop ruining this for me with your whiney emails.

Fred Ansome, I knew I wanted you for the lead role of neurotic mama’s boy Albert when I first saw you step out on stage in that teen production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show as Dr. Frank N. Furter last summer. While some might say that playing a cross-dressing alien made famous by Tim Curry does not indicate you’ll be a good fit for the aforementioned mama’s boy made famous by Dick Van Dyke, it’s a fool’s errand I’m willing to run. Even though Mr. Ryan has agreed to serve as music director again, and said this would likely be more difficult than when he directed your vocals as King Arthur in Spamalot or Bobby in Company, I know you both understand that I’m the director, and I get what I want.

More...
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/im-the-high-schools-theater-director-and-ive-precast-every-role-in-this-upcoming-production-of-bye-bye-birdie

***

WE’RE SORRY, YOU CAN’T JOIN OUR STREET GANG BECAUSE YOU DON’T KNOW BALLET
by TOM SMYTH

Hey daddio, listen here. We know you’ve been itching to join our rough and tumble street gang, but I’ve got bad news, bucko: you just don’t got the stuff it takes to roll with the Jets. Sure, in an ordinary gang, you might have to off a guy or something to prove yourself, but that’s simply not enough for us—you need to be able to pirouette too.

I mean, how would you even manage to complete everyday gang activities like leaping and twirling if you aren’t classically trained in ballet? Everybody knows a cornerstone of organized street crime is frolicking down your turf like you’re Ginger Rogers. And if you can’t do a toe touch, you’re putting us all at risk. Why do you think we’re called the Jets anyways? Named ourselves after the ballet move grand jeté, obviously.

More...
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/were-sorry-you-cant-join-our-street-gang-because-you-dont-know-ballet

***

A REVIEW OF MY PARENTS’ HOLIDAY PERFORMANCE OF WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
by SPENCER HAM

Edward Albee’s 1962 classic play has been adapted numerous times throughout the decades but never like the immersive performance put on by Debbie and Hank Crowder this holiday season.

Set in their own living room to an intimate audience of me and my girlfriend, this production was experimental theater at its finest. With a run time of three straight days, the actors captured the essence of George and Martha while taking huge liberties with the source material.

More...
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-review-of-my-parents-holiday-performance-of-whos-afraid-of-virginia-woolf

***

AN ORAL HISTORY OF THE MAKING OF HAMLET
by DANIEL POLLACK-PELZNER

RICHARD BURBAGE (lead actor and shareholder in the Lord Chamberlain’s Men): Well, the thing you have to remember is that 1599 was like the worst year ever.

HENRY CONDELL (actor, shareholder): The Earl of Essex barged into the capital, said he was the rightful ruler, got all the way to the queen’s bedchamber.

BURBAGE: Not to mention the plague. It was like, again? How long can I keep wearing rosemary under my nose?

More...
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-oral-history-of-the-making-of-hamlet

***

WELCOME TO A MUSICAL THEATER PROGRAM THAT IS NOW ACCEPTING MULTIPLE PEOPLE OF COLOR
by VIRGINIA VASS

Dear BIPOCStudent6,

Congratulations! You have been accepted into A Musical Theater Program That Is Now Accepting Multiple People of Color! Yes, yes, it is revolutionary isn’t it? We are thrilled that we could accept so many members of the BIPOC community this year. We were forced to if we wanted to put on a production of In the Heights.

The theater community has recently been hit with a big reality check when we realized that not only white people deserve a career on Broadway. Also, that not just anyone could play a role described to be for a person of color. Who knew? Why, with shows like Hamilton opening doors for a whole cast of colorful performers, and then telling white people not to audition? We honestly thought it would last about as long as an abusive producer “stepping back for a while to reflect on their actions” after being canceled and before finding a new job. So, a few weeks at most.

More...
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/welcome-to-a-musical-theater-program-that-is-now-accepting-multiple-people-of-color