regarding "discount fares" for elderly, etc. Q re: times?

danny burstein

Jan 27, 2024, 11:41:19 PMJan 27
A couple of years ago (which might easily by 5 or 10 by now..)
we had a discussion here where someone tracked down a mandate
in Federal Law (or somesuch) which required any transit
groups giving "discounts" to elderly, etc., to keep them
in place 24 hours and NOT block out rush hour, etc.

At least that's what my potholed memory is telling me.

Anyone here who remembers that thread and can point
me to that rule?

Thanks muchly.

dan...@panix.com

John Levine

Jan 28, 2024, 1:18:18 PMJan 28
According to danny burstein <dan...@panix.com>:
>A couple of years ago (which might easily by 5 or 10 by now..)
>we had a discussion here where someone tracked down a mandate
>in Federal Law (or somesuch) which required any transit
>groups giving "discounts" to elderly, etc., to keep them
>in place 24 hours and NOT block out rush hour, etc.
>
>At least that's what my potholed memory is telling me.
>
>Anyone here who remembers that thread and can point
>me to that rule?

Maybe you're thinking of this:

Under 49 U.S.C. Section 5307(d)(1)(D) of the Federal Transit Act,
federally subsidized transit providers may not charge more than half
of the peak fare for fixed route transit during off-peak hours for
seniors, people with disabilities, and Medicare cardholders.

https://www.transit.dot.gov/are-transit-providers-required-offer-reduced-transit-fares-seniors-people-disabilities-or-medicare

It's actually 49 USC 5307(c)(1)(D) but close enough.

OMNY gives me half fare rides all the time with the senior discount on
my credit card. Commuter trains don't allow senior discounts on peak
trains but them's the breaks.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Popping Mad

Jan 28, 2024, 9:07:47 PMJan 28
On 1/27/24 23:41, danny burstein wrote:
> A couple of years ago (which might easily by 5 or 10 by now..)
> we had a discussion here where someone tracked down a mandate
> in Federal Law (or somesuch) which required any transit
> groups giving "discounts" to elderly, etc., to keep them
> in place 24 hours and NOT block out rush hour, etc.

Nobody pays the fare anyway.

They can just close the B46 Utica avenue bus. NO ONE pays the fare so
it has no value.