Accused Grand Central black stabber was stalker who belonged in jail or psych ward: ex-girlfriend

Max Boof

Dec 29, 2023, 8:20:03 PM12/29/23
The unhinged vagrant accused of randomly stabbing two teen tourists
at Grand Central Station was a stalker who suffered from paranoid
delusions and was in dire need of psychiatric help, his ex-
girlfriend told The Post Wednesday.

Charisma Knight, 37, said onetime beau Steven Hutcherson allegedly
threatened to kill her “at least five times” in the past year and
became increasingly deranged after he refused to take his meds for
schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

“I called the police all the time and said ‘he’s bipolar and
schizophrenic, ‘he needs help, he needs help.’ These people actually
do need help. If you’re just letting them go… he might just kill
somebody,” Knight said from her East Harlem apartment.

“He should have been in a mental institution where he cannot come
out and they can monitor him taking his medication,” she added.

Knight and Hutcherson, 36, met in elementary school and dated for
three months in 2021 and then again for nine months, until October
2022, she said.

Hutcherson told her about his diagnoses, and how he was prescribed
medication — but would refuse to take it, Knight said.

“I feel like sometimes he wants to die,” she said. “He says and does
these things to people because he wants them to react so that he
doesn’t have to kill himself.”

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/12/steven-
hutcherson-stabbed-two-teenage-74159046-1.jpg?
resize=1024,991&quality=75&strip=all

Her ex had a penchant for conspiracy theories, watching videos on
YouTube about Malcolm X, wars and “how to train to fight with a
knife,” Knight said.

“He swore the government was after him,” she said.

“I knew this was gonna happen because if you look at his Facebook
account with all the rants that he’s doing with the police, it’s
crazy,” Knight added, referring to the Grand Central attack.

At one point, he thought mold growing in his bathroom was planted by
the police, and also suspected a close friend of being an FBI
informant, Knight recalled.

“When he would go to work some days I would stay at his house and
just be in his house until he gets home. He’ll come back and be
like, ‘somethings funny with this seasoning,’ or ‘Something’s funny
with the creamer. I think the FBI came in and put something in my
coffee,'” she said.

“I would tell him it wasn’t true because I was in the house all
day.”

She said Hutcherson’s mental health got progressively worse, noting
he stopped working at his job at a Panera Bread in the Bronx in late
2021 after suspecting a coworker had called the Bloods gang to beat
him up.

Hutcherson was estranged from his mother but never recovered from
her death some two decades ago — sparking a particular disdain for
the holidays, Knight said.

She theorized that may have contributed to his alleged violent
outburst on Christmas Day, when he is accused of stabbing the teens
sisters, 14 and 16, in a French restaurant at the Grand Central
dining concourse.

“He gets depressed around the holidays. Around October he starts
thinking about his mom and thinking about how he has no one. Around
Thanksgiving and Christmas he’s weird — extremely weird,” she said.

“Being that it was Christmas, it triggered something in him, whether
he was mad that it was like a family setting that they were having
and they was enjoying themselves,” she opined.

Knight obtained an order of protection against Hutcherson last year,
and said he allegedly threatened to kill her and once even told her
mother “I’ma kill your daughter.”

He also sent her rambling text and online messages, some about his
more-brazen alter ego, dubbed “Sity Slicker,” she said.

In their most recent encounter on Dec. 1, Hutcherson allegedly
showed up in the lobby of her building with flowers and soup,
surprising her while she waited for the elevator and telling her, “I
have money now. I just want to talk” — prompting her to call the
cops.

Nine days later, she found a note on her door signed “Sity Slicker,”
she said.

Hutcherson — who has at least 17 arrests on his rap sheet and been
subject to a slew of 911 calls for mentally disturbed behavior — is
behind held at Rikers Island without bail on attempted murder as a
hate crime and other charges for Monday’s attack.

“If he would have got the right help that he needed, and either
stayed in jail and got psychiatric help, or in a mental institution
and getting help, this would never have happened,” Knight said.

“The girls would never have been stabbed.”

https://nypost.com/2023/12/27/metro/accused-grand-central-stabber-
belonged-in-jail-or-psych-ward-ex-girlfriend/