Cheese slice

Sarah Birnbaum

Feb 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/1/99
to Gordon McDougall
Gordon McDougall wrote:

> We are leaving on a one week vacation on Thursday and I know that the
> following question will have my e-mail overloaded when we return. Here it
> is. Where in New York can I get a "real" slice of cheese pizza? I work for
> the airlines, and we come up to NY regularly on day trips. Although we love
> Manhattan, we would dearly love to see some "real" New York neighborhoods
> where "real" New Yorkers go home to at the end of their work day. I love NY
> and want to learn everything I can and it seems to me that, as an early
> lesson, I should go get a slice of cheese pizza.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gordon in Texas

Well, they don't sell by the slice, but I am very partial to the pizza
at the V&T. It's on Amsterdam between 110 and 111, and it's a wonderful
neighborhood pizzeria. Go there if you have someone to share a pizza
with, and you won't be sorry at all -- it's famous!

Sarah

Gordon McDougall

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99

Caleb Epstein

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
Gordon McDougall <themcd...@home.com> wrote:

None of the top-notch pizzerias serve by the slice. You'll
need to get a whole pie. Here are two of my favorites, though others
will certainly chime in with different ones. This is a bit of a
religious subject to New Yawkers, so don't expect consensus.

* Totonno Pizzeria, 1542 Neptune Avenue, Brooklyn (Coney
Island environs) (718) 372-8606. They have a shop in
Manhattan now, but go to the original if you don't mind the
extra effort. Top notch.

* Grimaldi's (nee Patsy's), 19 Old Fulton Street, Brooklyn
(under the Brooklyn Bridge). In a word, outstanding. The
best pizza I've had outside of New Haven. (718) 858-4300.

I'm not positive, but I don't think either of these places
takes credit cards.

Good luck!

--
[ cae at home dot com | Caleb Epstein | Brooklyn Dust Bunny Mfg. ]

w e i

Feb 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/2/99
i will vote for the same and in the same order...

however, i tried some from Mona Lisa on bleeker and i'd say, they are not
exactly the same but they are quite nice (more towards the "gourmet"
catagory)

i believe in innovation and evolution, and i value tradition..

Peter

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
Ben's Pizzeria in Soho has excellent pizza by the slice. I believe it's on
the corner of Prince and McDougal (not sure). I know you requested cheese
pizza, but Ben's Palermo slice (breadcrumbs) is truly wonderful.

Robert Buxbaum

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
In article <79d6hf$6...@dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>, "Peter"
<pe...@oculus.com> wrote:

Spring and Thompson - a block south and two blocks east of your location.
It's OK but the quality varies and I've had too many uncooked crusts over
the years.

--
---------------------------
new URL <www.worldtable.com> Food, Wine, & Travel - recent revisions

bullseye

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99

Peter wrote:

> Ben's Pizzeria in Soho has excellent pizza by the slice. I believe it's on
> the corner of Prince and McDougal (not sure).

It's on the North East corner of Thompson and Prince.

bullseye

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
to bullseye
big OOPS. It is indeed on Spring and Thompson, NE corner. sorry.

Robert Buxbaum

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
In article <79dhdl$7uj$1...@samsara0.mindspring.com>, bullseye
<"bullseye35"@deletethefunnystuff%@excite.com> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
> > Ben's Pizzeria in Soho has excellent pizza by the slice. I believe it's on
> > the corner of Prince and McDougal (not sure).
>
> It's on the North East corner of Thompson and Prince.

Actually that's Thompson and SPRING.

magic1

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
There are as many "real" pizza opinions in NY as there are people!
The rats probably have an opinion on it too, for all I know.

I vote for Ray's on 6th Ave at 12th Street, especially if the emphasis
is on CHEESE. They put about a pound of the stuff (the real thing) on
every slice. It's cheesier that the classic NY slice. Whether this is
the "real" Ray's is a whole 'nother thread.

"Gordon McDougall" <themcd...@home.com> wrote:

>We are leaving on a one week vacation on Thursday and I know that the
>following question will have my e-mail overloaded when we return. Here it
>is. Where in New York can I get a "real" slice of cheese pizza? I work for
>the airlines, and we come up to NY regularly on day trips. Although we love
>Manhattan, we would dearly love to see some "real" New York neighborhoods
>where "real" New Yorkers go home to at the end of their work day. I love NY
>and want to learn everything I can and it seems to me that, as an early
>lesson, I should go get a slice of cheese pizza.
>

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Gordon in Texas

Marian Cole
mag...@mindspring.com
ICQ#25410231

Adam Donahue

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
I think you're both wrong. :-) Maybe not, since I haven't been down to Soho
in a few months. But there's a Ben's in the West Village on Thompson and, I
think, W. 3rd St. But maybe there are two now.

Adam

Robert Buxbaum (b...@worldtable.com) wrote:
: In article <79dhdl$7uj$1...@samsara0.mindspring.com>, bullseye

magic1

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
I avoid Soho like the plaque these days but I worked there in the
early 90s and Ben's was (and I assume still is) at Thompson and
Spring, NE corner.

NAMEDROPPING BREAK- A friend of my boss' was Madonna's bodyguard for
about 2 seconds, and one night when she was getting a slice there, a
NY Post photog tried to take a picture and my boss' friend beat the
crap out of him. So picture of cowering Madonna and pissed off
bodyguard was printed in the Post and Ben's had the clipping up in
their window for quite a while afterwards.

There WAS a second Ben's of Soho but it was in Park Slope at 7th Ave
and 3rd St. First they whited-out the "of Soho" part of the sign
(maybe a business breakup? they were selling the same menu) then they
closed.

Oamd...@acf2.nyu.edu (Adam Donahue) wrote:

Marian Cole
mag...@mindspring.com
ICQ#25410231

Robert Buxbaum

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
In article <79jp5p$eb4$1...@news.nyu.edu>, amd...@acf2.nyu.edu (Adam
Donahue) wrote:

> I think you're both wrong. :-) Maybe not, since I haven't been down to Soho
> in a few months. But there's a Ben's in the West Village on Thompson and, I
> think, W. 3rd St. But maybe there are two now.
>
> Adam
>
> Robert Buxbaum (b...@worldtable.com) wrote:
> :

> : Actually that's Thompson and SPRING.

I don't get as far north as W. 3rd Street all that often, so I don't
comment about the territory, ;-) but I'm right about Spring Street.

Barry L. Stern

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
In article <bux-070299...@arcts2p128.port.net> , b...@worldtable.com
(Robert Buxbaum) wrote:

> In article <79jp5p$eb4$1...@news.nyu.edu>, amd...@acf2.nyu.edu (Adam
> Donahue) wrote:
>
>> I think you're both wrong. :-) Maybe not, since I haven't been down to Soho
>> in a few months. But there's a Ben's in the West Village on Thompson and, I
>> think, W. 3rd St. But maybe there are two now.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> Robert Buxbaum (b...@worldtable.com) wrote:
>> :
>> : Actually that's Thompson and SPRING.
>

> I don't get as far north as W. 3rd Street all that often, so I don't
> comment about the territory, ;-) but I'm right about Spring Street.

Everyone's wrong. :-)

Go to Brooklyn!! 15th St and Ave J. Difara's Pizza. You'll never think of
pizza the same way.. :-)

Peter

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
That particular Ray's used to be a favorite of mine about 10 years back, but
a recent visit totally turned me off to the place. Sure it was a big slice,
heavy with cheese, but the sauce wasn't very tasty. I should have kept it as
a happy memory.

magic1 <mag...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

cben

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99

Adam Donahue <amd...@acf2.nyu.edu> wrote:
>I think you're both wrong. :-) Maybe not, since I haven't been down to Soho
>in a few months. But there's a Ben's in the West Village on Thompson and, I
>think, W. 3rd St. But maybe there are two now.

There are two, but I'm not sure if they're owned by the same people. I've had
pizza at the Soho location and liked it a lot, especially one they have with lots
of onions, but I haven't tried the one on W. 3rd Street. Anyone know if they're
related?

/C

Robert Buxbaum

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
In article <79lg4d$72g$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Barry L. Stern"
<barry...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <bux-070299...@arcts2p128.port.net> , b...@worldtable.com
> (Robert Buxbaum) wrote:
>
> > In article <79jp5p$eb4$1...@news.nyu.edu>, amd...@acf2.nyu.edu (Adam

> > Donahue) wrote:
> >
> >> I think you're both wrong. :-) Maybe not, since I haven't been down
to Soho
> >> in a few months. But there's a Ben's in the West Village on Thompson
and, I
> >> think, W. 3rd St. But maybe there are two now.
> >>

> >> Adam
> >>
> >> Robert Buxbaum (b...@worldtable.com) wrote:
> >> :
> >> : Actually that's Thompson and SPRING.
> >

> > I don't get as far north as W. 3rd Street all that often, so I don't
> > comment about the territory, ;-) but I'm right about Spring Street.
>
> Everyone's wrong. :-)
>
> Go to Brooklyn!! 15th St and Ave J. Difara's Pizza. You'll never think of
> pizza the same way.. :-)

And when I've had Difara's pizza and never think of pizza the same way,
will Ben's move? Will I not be able to find my way around SoHo? I was
merely setting the geography straight. I can take or leave Ben's pizza.
What's your point.

Dave Smey

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99

Peter wrote in message <79n3jd$s...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>...

>That particular Ray's used to be a favorite of mine about 10 years back,
but
>a recent visit totally turned me off to the place. Sure it was a big slice,
>heavy with cheese, but the sauce wasn't very tasty. I should have kept it
as
>a happy memory.

I wonder if my wife would like this. Lately she's been expressing a desire
for "some really *good* pizza," and I realized with much horror that she
meant NOT new york-style pizza or foodie pizza but the pizza of her youth in
CT. Which I remember as thick, cheesy, and greasy, the sauce vaguely spicy
but otherwise hardly present. (I guess not so chewy as a NY slice.) Cut in
squares is a plus.

cben

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
In article <79n3jd$s...@dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>,

Peter <pe...@oculus.com> wrote:
>That particular Ray's used to be a favorite of mine about 10 years back, but
>a recent visit totally turned me off to the place. Sure it was a big slice,
>heavy with cheese, but the sauce wasn't very tasty. I should have kept it as
>a happy memory.

You're exactly right about that Ray's. They used to have great pizza, but now it's
terrible. I haven't had a slice in a few years, but the last time I did I thought
the worst thing about it was the cheese... it didn't taste creamy the way it's
supposed to, just heavy and oily, and it congeals immediately. It used to be a
great place to get a cheese slice, maybe the best in the city, but that hasn't been
the case for years. It's too bad because I live right around the corner from it.

No one has mentioned Two Boots. Right now I think it's my favorite place for a
slice. It's not traditional N.Y. pizza, but the sauce and cheese are good, and
they have interesting toppings. Good crust, too.

/C
c...@us.ibm.com

Jeremy Osner

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
cben wrote:

> No one has mentioned Two Boots. Right now I think it's my favorite place for a
> slice. It's not traditional N.Y. pizza, but the sauce and cheese are good, and
> they have interesting toppings. Good crust, too.

I like Two Boots a lot too. Do you have a particular favorite
among the different locations? I generally only go to the one on
Bleeker and Broadway because it is convenient to my office; the
times I have been to the other locations the pizza seemed a bit
different, but I never really made a study of it to figure out
different how, or which I liked better.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Sac's yet, perhaps
because it's not in Manhattan; I think they are a strong
contender for the best cheese slice in the city. They just
renovated and expanded slightly, and their pizza is if anything
better than it was before the expansion. It's a real treat of a
slice. They are in Astoria, at Broadway and 29th Street; about 20
minutes from Times Square on the N train.

Jeremy

Barry Shein

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99

The most frightening pizza occurs up here in Boston.

You see cut squares of pizza-looking objects (bread/sauce/cheese),
about the volume of a normal slice, stacked cold and hand-wrapped in
plastic film by the cash register of bakeries.

Bring it up in conversation with locals and they'll tell you how they
love it and apparently view it as a memorable theme in their
childhood. They eat them cold!

Actually, it's not even cold, they're just stacked at room temperature
which in my mind raises the question of their doing petri dish
impersonations.

It's not a case of mistaken identity, like when someone calls
something pizza which is good food but just not what you'd call pizza
(e.g., a New Englander's view of Manhattan Clam Chowder, mostly just a
protest over the use of the word "chowder"), it's just awful stuff.

As a native New Yorker in Boston I just thought I'd get that off my
chest. Thank you for your time and attention.

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | b...@world.std.com | http://www.world.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202 | Login: 617-739-WRLD

Sarah Birnbaum

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Barry Shein wrote:

> The most frightening pizza occurs up here in Boston.
>
> You see cut squares of pizza-looking objects (bread/sauce/cheese),
> about the volume of a normal slice, stacked cold and hand-wrapped in
> plastic film by the cash register of bakeries.
>
> Bring it up in conversation with locals and they'll tell you how they
> love it and apparently view it as a memorable theme in their
> childhood. They eat them cold!
>
> Actually, it's not even cold, they're just stacked at room temperature
> which in my mind raises the question of their doing petri dish
> impersonations.
>
> It's not a case of mistaken identity, like when someone calls
> something pizza which is good food but just not what you'd call pizza
> (e.g., a New Englander's view of Manhattan Clam Chowder, mostly just a
> protest over the use of the word "chowder"), it's just awful stuff.
>
> As a native New Yorker in Boston I just thought I'd get that off my
> chest. Thank you for your time and attention.

Pizza takes strange forms outside the metropolitan area. Ever had pizza
in St. Louis Style?

1. It's square.

2. It's ORANGE.

3. The orange color is caused by Provel cheese, which they use instead
of mozzarella and which, in addition to the fact in its unmelted state
is orange and looks like a series of flatworms, I have never seen for
sale anywhere in the world but in the St. Louis supermarket, which is
called -- get this -- Shnucks.

Pizza Hut actually came out with "St. Louis Style" pizza around 1993,
complete with TV commercials poking fun at the St. Louis accent! Stay
away from this stuff, folks. If you're in St. Louis, go out for
Vietnamese.

Sarah