Press event this Friday morning

Gil Lopez

Apr 17, 2024, 11:54:29 AMApr 17
to Gil Lopez

Hello fellow composters,
As you know, the Parks department is evicting Big Reuse from their processing site under the Queensbridge in LIC.
I invite you to our press Conferance to save the site from 10:30am - 11:30am this Friday, April 19th. Full details here:
(Please share this event far and wide!)

I also want to make you aware that there will be another press event, just up the road starting 30mins before the Big Reuse event, also in LIC, at Socrates Sculpture Park to celebrate the opening of their new offices.
https://socratessculpturepark.org/program/the-cubes-ribbon-cutting-ceremony/
NYC Parks Commissioner, Sue Donoghue will be at the Socrates event and I want to encourage anyone who can to go to that event before coming to Queensbridge. Please consider delivering the Parks commissioner a personal letter letting her know she should reconsider the eviction of Big Reuse from Parks land under the Queensbridge. There are lots of reasons for her to reconsider (many listed here…
But I encourage you to personalize your letter. I know some people and groups on this listserve have benefited from Big Reuse, weather it was finished compost pickups or deliveries, site tours, volunteer opportunities, technical assistance or material support for your groups compost processing, or taking excess scraps that you have collected in your communities to process at our composting site. I encourage you to join us, if not this Friday, at some point soon, as I will be stepping up my activism around this issue. Because without a site to process scraps, we will no longer be able to do the work we have done over the past decade. If anyone is interested in coordinating with me, please get in touch directly.

I will be sending another email soon about events Big Reuse will be hosting during International Compost Awareness week.
Until then, happy Earth Day/Week!
🌎🌱
In SOILidarity,
gil lopez

I am based in the traditional territory of the Canarsie and Munsee Lenape, now called LIC, Queens. I acknowledge these Indigenous Custodians of the place in which I live, work and play. While colonization has largely extirpated these peoples, I recognize their continuing connection to land, water and community and pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.