Group sanitation art show opening next Sat., May 4

Gabriela D'Addario

Apr 27, 2024, 8:06:49 PMApr 27
to NYC Community Composting
Dear composters.

I am curating a group show of works made by sanitation artists-in-residence in four different US cities: New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Portland, OR. In these remarkable residency programs, municipal sanitation departments and private waste facilities sponsor artists to make work about and alongside the waste stream and its workers.

The show will be up from May 4 - 30 at All Street Gallery's Chinatown location, 119 Hester Street. Featuring 10 artists, including Mierle Laderman Ukeles, sTo Len and Jade Doskow, the show offers a small but representative sample of the incredible work to come out of these 4 programs. The work on display represents a diversity of contemporary art practices for confronting the “wicked problems” of consumerism, capitalism and environmental degradation embodied by the waste stream. The residency programs, moreover, are key examples of civic practice art--projects that apply artistic methods to issues of public, municipal concern.

This is a project that grew out of a Master's degree I recently completed in the field of discard studies. Excitingly, I received a grant from the Puffin Foundation to fund the show. I'm attaching the press release here with photos and additional info.

We'll have an opening party next Saturday, May 4 from 6-9 pm. Consider stopping by!

--
K. Gabriela LaGuardia D'Addario
Art at Work Press Release.pdf