Advice/suggestions needed for local garden resources

LBernstein

Mar 27, 2024, 11:22:37 PMMar 27
to nyc-communit...@googlegroups.com
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this group. I hope it is OK to ask questions like this one here - if not, please let me know and/or ignore me.
I was raised in Brooklyn and learned to garden in the children's garden at BBG but I left the city for some fertile land north of the city so I could spread out.  I have gardened and grown my own food, made my own soil and lived happily there for the past 35 years but now my kids have moved back to Brooklyn and I have followed them. There is a small sunny garden in the front yard of my apartment building that I will be able to garden in but the garden is in terrible shape and the soil is lousy and needs to be amended and improved, especially with organic matter. My question is where can I get some compost, leaf mulch, wood chips - anything to work into the soil? I estimate that I need 8-10 yards. I have no idea where to go for bulk materials like this in Brooklyn. Can anyone recommend a source? Also, if there is anyone out there looking to put in some time helping me create a raised bed I would be very grateful - and will pay whatever the going rate is for this kind of work. I just don't know how to get help or materials in Brooklyn yet (and would like to avoid carting plastic bags of soil from HD). Thank you for any suggestions.
Thanks
Lynne Bernstein