Fw: Flatbush African Burial Ground: Community Input Meeting April 24 @ 6:30pm

Corazón Valiente

Apr 12, 2023, 11:27:17 AM4/12/23
to nyc-communit...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Ive shared before on this messaging board that one of the things I like doing is participating in protecting the Flatbush African Burial Ground.
Parks Department has finally issued their first meeting notice for gathering community input on what should be done with the space.
Wanted to share the invitation here to you as well.
The city agency that was in charge of the land previously, wanted to get away with saying community engagement was about 50 or so people showing up on average to the meetings, which for anyone that knows the area (Church and Bedford Aves) that is a B35 at rush hour. I wanna see these zooms packed with 100s of people from the diaspora, allies, people with an interest in protecting indigenous and sacred spaces.

---
Corazón L. Valiente
Owner | Made with Love, DUH! LLC

From: Ives, Davey (Parks) <Davey...@parks.nyc.gov>
Date: Fri, Apr 7, 2023, 6:00 PM
To: BKspecialevents (Parks) <BKspeci...@parks.nyc.gov>

Good evening everyone –

My name is Davey Ives, I’m the Chief of Staff for Brooklyn Operations at NYC Parks. I got your email from our community partners and want to give you a heads up about some good news.

On the evening of Monday, April 24th at 6:30pm NYC Parks, in conjunction with Council Member Rita Joseph, and Community Board 14 will be conducting a public input session for the future park design of the Flatbush African Burial Ground site at Church and Bedford Avenues. This input meeting is the start of the NYC Parks design process to renovate the parcel for public use as a park.

In order to attend the meeting, attendees must register on the Parks website here. We ask that you spread the word to make sure as many people in the community can be heard. Attached is a flyer with information about how to register. We appreciate any boost you can give this meeting!

Please let us know if you have any questions. Feel free to email me or the BKspeci...@parks.nyc.gov address.

Apologies for the email late on a holiday weekend, but we are very excited to begin this design process with you!

Many thanks,

Davey Ives (he/himwhat’s this?)

Chief of Staff, Brooklyn

C 646.300.3133

T 718.965.6951
E davey...@parks.nyc.gov

NYC Parks
Litchfield Villa, Prospect Park

95 Prospect Park West
Brooklyn, NY 11215
nyc.gov/parks

Follow Parks on: Facebook | Twitter | foursquare | Instagram | YouTube

Flatbush African Burial Ground - public input flyer 4.24.23.pdf