Two compost🚲 tours: 6/4 in BK & 6/17 in QNS

gil lopez

May 30, 2023, 9:49:48 PM5/30/23
to NYC Community Composting, gil lopez
Hello compost buddies,
I'm cohosting two compost bike tours in June! I'll be in Eastern Brooklyn on Sunday June 4th from 11am-2pm with a post-ride social at Party On Bushwick (RSVP for the ride, just come to the social.
The second compost bike tour will be in Western Queens on Saturday June 17 from 11am-2:30pm with a post-ride social at Focal Point Brewing (RSVP for the ride, just show up at the social).
I hope that some of you can join one or both of these and share the details with others who might be interested.

6/4 Brooklyn Tour details...
RSVP link:
Event Description: Join Big Reuse’s compost education team for a compost bike tour of gardens and compost sites including gardens of the Glenmore Green Mile where we will lend a hand in the cleanup being organized by City Councilmember Sandy Nurse. From there we will visit Compost Power at Howard Houses, and take a look at other means of reducing food waste at the free fridge hosted by the Pitkin Avenue BID before riding to Bushwick where we will end our tour at BK ROT, a community micro-hauling and composting operation.
Please bring a water bottle and dress appropriately for the weather. Participants must bring their own bicycle, we do not have bike to lend and there are no CitiBikes in East NY where most of this ride will occur.

Participants are also invited to a post-ride networking event at Party On Bushwick (254 Irving Ave) starting around 2:30pm. Some food will be provided.

image1.jpeg

#########

6/17 Queens tour details
RSVP link:
Event Description:

Riders must provide their own bikes, we do not have bikes to lend.

Participants will join a group ride, gathering at 10:30am at the Rusty Wheelbarrow Farm in Woodside with the tour starting at 11am. We will also visit, the Sunnyside/Woodside Compost Collective in Sunnyside, 24-hour food scrap drop-off (FSDO) managed by Astoria Pug in Astoria, Socrates Sculpture Park, Haki Compost Collective on Roosevelt Island and ending at Big Reuse's Queensbridge composting facility in LIC.

Some refreshments will be provided. Riders should bring a helmet, water and dress appropriately for the weather and activities.

Riders will be invited to a post-ride social/networking event at Focal Point Brewing in LIC. Other members of the composting community who could not join the bike tour will also be invited. Some food will be provided.

image0.jpeg

In SOILidarity,
gil lopez (he/him/they)
* Be mindful before printing this e-mail; a paper cut is a tree's final revenge.
I am based in the traditional territory of the Canarsie Lenape, now called LIC, Queens. I acknowledge these Indigenous Custodians of the place which I live, work and play. While colonization has largely extirpated these peoples, I recognize their continuing connection to land, water and community and pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.