The Communist News Network gets caught in another lie.

1 view

Alvin Valkenheiser

Jun 9, 2003, 12:28:47 AM6/9/03
Not again! The Communist News Network gets caught in another lie.

CNN 'backpedals' on gun story

Admits it misled viewers in comparing different types of weapons

Saying CNN may have deliberately misled viewers about the legality of
various weapons, a leader in the gun-rights movement is lashing out at
the network for incorrectly reporting that fully automatic weapons are
banned under a 1994 law set to expire next year.

"Either it was a deliberate attempt to fake the story, or the reporter
had a complete ignorance of the story he's covering," Wayne LaPierre,
executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, told the
Washington Times.

In two broadcasts last Thursday, CNN incorrectly reported that fully
automatic weapons are currently banned under the Violent Crime Control
and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. The CNN broadcasts included firing
demonstrations by the Broward County, Fla., Sheriff's Department that
implied currently banned weapons are much more powerful than similar
but legal ones, when in fact that is not the case.

As reported by the Washington Times, during one of the demonstrations
Broward County Sheriff Ken Jenne introduced a detective who fired an
old Chinese AK-47.

"That is one of the 19 currently banned weapons," said John Zarella,
CNN's Miami bureau chief. In fact, that firearm was not one of those
banned under the 1994 act. The detective fired six shots, after which
Zarella said, "OK. Now that was semiautomatic."

Jenne then responded, "Now this is automatic."

The detective fired a burst at a cinder-block target, after which
Zarella declared: "Wow! That obliterated those blocks. ... Absolutely
obliterated it. And you can tell the difference," according to the
Times report.

Machine guns, AK-47s and other fully automatic weapons are regulated
by the National Firearms Act of 1934. The 1994 law banned some
semiautomatic, military-style rifles and will expire in September 2004
if Congress does not renew it. Semiautomatic guns fire one shot each
time the trigger is pulled.

The NRA and other gun-rights groups say the news media have
consistently confused semiautomatics with fully automatic firearms and
that the banned guns are only "cosmetically" different from many legal
types of weapons.

"This whole ban was lied into law 10 years ago, and it seems to me we
can do better than lying again," LaPierre told the Times.

Yesterday, CNN clarified which firearms are banned under the 1994 law
and told viewers the ban is based on external features such as whether
the weapon has a pistol grip or a flash suppressor.

A CNN anchor introduced yesterday's broadcast by saying: "On this
program on Thursday, we aired a live demonstration CNN set up with
law-enforcement officials of a banned semiautomatic rifle and its
legal counterpart. We reviewed that demonstration … and decided that a
more detailed report would better explain this complex issue."

"We caught them red-handed, in the act. Now they're backpedaling,"
LaPierre said after yesterday's segment.

On Thursday, the camera showed bullets hitting a cinder-block target
as the Broward County detective fired an AK-47 in semiautomatic mode.
When the detective fired a legal semiautomatic firearm, the camera
showed an undamaged cinder-block target.

On Friday, CNN admitted the detective had not been firing at the
cinder block.

"In fact, if you fire the same caliber and type bullets from the two
guns, you get the same impact," Zarella said in yesterday's broadcast.

According to the Times report, some law-enforcement officers called
the NRA after viewing the CNN demonstrations saying they were
"horrified that a law-enforcement official would mislead the public
this way," said "NRA Live" host Ginny Simone.

The Times reports Jenne is a former Democratic state legislator who
supported an unsuccessful bill in the Florida Legislature in 2000 that
sought to ban "assault rifles" using a broad definition that would
have prohibited several types of rifles and many handguns.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=32677
Ken (NY)
Chairman,
Department Of Redundancy Department
____________________________________
email:
http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

I can't see the point in going to movies. All that sex and violence.
I get enough of that at home. Apart from the sex, of course.
-Anonymous

rms1

Jun 9, 2003, 1:55:00 PM6/9/03

Alvin Valkenheiser <valki...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Not again! The Communist News Network gets caught in another lie.

If you honestly think that CNN is communist, then you're further gone than I
thought!

ex_cathedra

Jun 12, 2003, 7:10:17 AM6/12/03
"rms1" <rm...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<UR3Fa.196080$ja4.10...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

I read that "Communist"as sarcasm.

Unfortunate as it is that the poster left his/herself open for a
bottomfeeding heel nipper such as yourself to spew your idiocy.

Nice to see you (as a moron) don't see anything wrong with a major
media putlet lying to public.

Is CNN a freind to the public or an enemy by distorting facts on a
National scale?

And the fact that you just squished your (no doubt beady) little eyes
closed to the wrongdong,and decided to pick on a moot point only shows
everyone here how credible you're not.

You should have passed on that post.

Now you've pooped in your own doggie dish.
Misleading the public (->lying<-) is a very serious offense to the
American people Alvin.

I noticed you had no words of rebuke for the liars.

Birds of a feather Alvin ?

Nor do you recognize the inherent dangers of an unreliable major
newsprovider to your countrymen,and the homeland.

Alvin...IMHO after reading too many of your posts I have come to the
conclusion that you must have the mental capacity of a developmentally
challenged chipmunk on bootleg prozac.

It's at this time I woukd like to congratulate you on your abilty to
type,and make complete sentences in most cases.
(As stupid as they may be.)

In your mental condition it's noteworthy to mention your acheivements
and not focus on your inabilty to grasp the concepts you attempt to
comment on.

At least you try.

Go Alvin,
Go Alvin,
Go Alvin!

rms1

Jun 12, 2003, 9:20:15 AM6/12/03

ex_cathedra <excat...@eboxmail.net> wrote in message

> > If you honestly think that CNN is communist, then you're further gone
than I
> > thought!
>
> I read that "Communist"as sarcasm.
>
> Unfortunate as it is that the poster left his/herself open for a
> bottomfeeding heel nipper such as yourself to spew your idiocy.
>
> Nice to see you (as a moron) don't see anything wrong with a major
> media putlet lying to public.

Name calling is the ultimate sign of low intellect. I said nothing about
the alleged lies - simply that it's ridiculous to call CNN a "communist"
network. Valkenheiser spews such ridiculous junk that it's fun to point it
out from time to time. Post something that makes sense next time.

<rest of garbage snipped>

Shadowed

Jun 12, 2003, 9:32:13 AM6/12/03

ex_cathedra <excat...@eboxmail.net> wrote in message

> Unfortunate as it is that the poster left his/herself open for a

> bottomfeeding heel nipper such as yourself to spew your idiocy.

boy, if he's bottomfeeding, then what are you doing responding? you must be
lower than a bottomfeeder.