ny crankees - jdrf ride to cure - training week #12

jeff goodnow

Jul 8, 2014, 4:00:54 PM7/8/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
crankees,

the coaches are trying to get ourselves and a schedule organized for the rest of the summer.  right now we are just trying to figure out this weekend.

right now the plan is for cary and/or i to lead a 9w ride on saturday.  we want to start earlier so we can beat the heat and get everyone home a little earlier.  also we may add on some mileage for people who are ready to push a little further.

pick up points and new times are as follows:

-brooklyn: meet up with cary - 4th ave @ douglass St. 6:45 am.
-manhattan: west 122nd st. and riverside drive (riverside church); departing at 8 am sharp
-nj: meet under the gwb on the nj side @ hudson terrace 8:25 am

rsvp and/or questions, please reply on the crankee google group:
http://groups.google.com/group/ny-crankees

helpful note for this week - sunscreen & water

just a reminder, crankee joe mure has a ride at the end of the month (july 26) in howard beach that benefits nyfac and jdrf.  we should all make an effort to attend and support this event.  for more info go to: http://nyfac.org/bike

see you saturday,

jeff

Deborah Cox

Jul 9, 2014, 12:11:16 AM7/9/14
to Jdrf Crankees Google Email

I won't be able to make it but will be out in Montauk so if anyone is out there this weekend and wants to meet up for a ride let me know.  I have been training but plan to catch up with the group on a ride soon!  Miss everyone!

Jim Goodin

Jul 9, 2014, 10:34:25 PM7/9/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Jeff/Cary - are you looking at a bit of variation in 9w this weekend or just the same trek?  Albeit a great route a change would be good.  Does the River Road end at Alpine or is there an option to take that someways or is that where the mountain bikes come in :)

I will say I took part in two neat city rides this last weekend hosted by the Five Borough Bicycle Club, one to the Rockaways where I'd never been and on Sunday several Brooklyn neighborhoods I'd not been treking path of the Revolutionary War.

Jim

Cary James

Jul 10, 2014, 6:18:28 AM7/10/14
to NY Crankees Google Group
Jim,

Exact route will depend up on the weather, number of riders and their expectations for where they are in their training.  Those looking to get extra miles in before Burlington in a few weeks will have that opportunity.

-Cary

Cary James 516-672-9791 (M) 212-284-5841 (O)

Jim Goodin

Jul 10, 2014, 11:07:39 AM7/10/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Cary thanks.  I do want to go and it's a good route, I wasn't saying that, just looking forward to new trails.  I mentioned the earlier call to Ann and encouraging her to go. If she comes along I'll only go as far as she is up for.  She's still having some shoulder pain after about 25 miles that we are trying to work out.  She's had a 'fit' but I think there are still some tweaks though I think some of it is ride tension or style.  Anyhow hope for clear skies and low humidity which this morning was perfect when I rode the park so hope it lasts a bit.

Wood and Wire Ware Mobile iOS mobile creations of James Goodin and Wood and Wire Ware

The Recordings of Wood and Wire Music - 'Organically inspired New Music'

From Brooklyn To Glindran, a new World/Free Jazz recording by Jim Goodin & Peter Thörn.  Proceeds from this CD will benefit JDRF International

Jon Reitzes

Jul 10, 2014, 11:20:00 AM7/10/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Jim

I know Anne's bike is new.  Perhaps installing another set of brake levers across the horizontal part of her handlebars will relieve the tension.  When riders aren't used to having brakes on their drops they tend to drop their shoulders and hunker down while braking, putting strain on the back and shoulder.  This extra set of brake levers did the trick when Lindsay got her bike a few years back.

Jon Reitzes
Director

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipients and may be confidential.  Please consider the environment if you choose to print this message.

Jim Goodin

Jul 10, 2014, 11:30:26 AM7/10/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Jon thanks.  That's interesting.  I also heard on a cast this morning that and hopefully not stepping on toes here but this can occur with women cyclists due to and again an opinion :), of held pre-ride tension which becomes compounded on the ride.  I think this is a possibility in her case.  I also think which I contacted Henry about, of still doing some handle bar area tweaks.  He did put an extender in for her as well as increased seat height.  Are the brake levers extenders to the drop breaks or is that replacing and having on top as in conventional handlebar breaks?

Jon Reitzes

Jul 10, 2014, 11:41:10 AM7/10/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
It's an addition.  I bet you a dollar it works.

Jon Reitzes
Director

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipients and may be confidential.  Please consider the environment if you choose to print this message.

Jim Goodin

Jul 10, 2014, 12:10:28 PM7/10/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Jon thanks - I'll relay/explore.

Jim Goodin

Jul 10, 2014, 12:31:22 PM7/10/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com

Dan Vogel

Jul 10, 2014, 4:53:11 PM7/10/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for the ride!  See you at 122nd st.

Jeff Kauflin

Jul 11, 2014, 11:23:49 AM7/11/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Rachel and I can't make it unfortunately. We'd love to join but are going to a concert on Saturday (Phish at Randall's Island). Have a great ride.

Jim Goodin

Jul 11, 2014, 4:19:12 PM7/11/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Jeff sorry you and Rachel won't be along.

As of now it looks like Ann won't be joining me.  Cary I'm debating I may meet you tomorrow morning, trying to guesstimate my energy for the whole enchilada.  Will either do that or train up.

Who all is meeting at 122nd?

Dan Vogel

Jul 11, 2014, 4:40:44 PM7/11/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
I will be at 122

Sent from my iPhone

Cary James

Jul 11, 2014, 8:48:57 PM7/11/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
FYI Brooklyn start location/time change: we will be starting at 6:50am promptly from bergen st and 3rd ave (just a few blocks north of Douglass)

Please let me know in the affirmative if you will be starting in bklyn with me.

Jim Goodin

Jul 11, 2014, 9:17:20 PM7/11/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Cary hey.  I'm going to join you in the morning.  I'm bit concerned I'll need more time but if I feel I'm dragging re missing Jersey meetup time I'll hop a train somewhere.  See you at 3rd and Bergen 6:50.  Jim

Dan Vogel

Jul 12, 2014, 6:55:54 AM7/12/14
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Bailing out - sorry guys something can up at work and I need to be on a conference call at 11. I'll do some loops in the park on my own today. Have a great ride!