2015 NYC JDRF Ride To Cure Diabetes Training Schedule, etc Week #4

1 view

Bob Cohen

Apr 19, 2015, 8:08:47 PM4/19/15
to ny-cr...@googlegroups.com
Crankees -
Wasn't Saturday beautiful?  Cary & I led Alecia, Albert & Brian out and across the GWB to NJ.  Though we planned to ride River Road to Alpine, the authorities had a different plan.  With River Road closed to bike traffic, we rode up 9w to the state line for pics.  On the return, after short layover at Strictly, we were headed back over the GWB to NYC. With mid 70s and sunny we couldn't have asked for a nicer day.

Here's what's coming up:

Team Happy Hour & Tire Changing Demo
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
5:30 p.m.
Van Diemens - 383 3rd Avenue (between 27th & 28th)
Your coaches will put on a tire changing demonstration for the pleasure of all attendees.
Please RSVP to Karena, cc'd on this EMail.

Our next ride is coming up Saturday April 25 ( Long Island Ride- Westbury, NY)

This is the start of out of town rides (very beautiful scenery, waterfront lunch, etc.) with  our 40+ mile ride Ll loop.
Meet at the Westbury LIRR NY LIRR Train station parking lot
Google Maps:  R ailroad Avenue & Post Avenue, Westbury, NY ) for an 8:15 a.m. departure.
Cue Sheet  (we will modify the start and finish of this ride)

How to get there? You can drive or take the train from Brooklyn or Penn Station. If you take the train make sure you  buy a bike pass from the teller (cost is $5 and is good forever) along with a round trip (off peak) ticket to Westbury.
• Train departs Penn Station @ 7:22 a.m. (meeting location in Penn Station near the big colored train  time board and the teller windows for LIRR)
• Train departs Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn) @ 7:22 a.m. (meeting location is North  Side of Flatbush Ave before entering the LIRR station downstairs) {with a train  change in Jamaica at 7:45 (onto the train that originated from Penn Station)}  Please double check departure schedule
• Train arrives in Westbury at 8:05 a.m.
• Training ride departs Westbury LIRR parking lot at 8:15 a.m. (parking at the lot is a few dollars for the  day for those who choose to drive)
• Heading home: Trains leave Westbury every hour on the :58 (without incident  we should be on the 12:58 p.m. back to NYC; there's also a 12:47 p.m.)

Please note all last minute preparations, pre-ride discussions, etc. will occur in the 5-10 minutes leading up to our 8:15 a.m. departure time.  Both Cary & I will be riding.
Please RSVP so we know who to expect.

Please  post any questions & RSVP on the Crankee Google Group:

Our Facebook page:

Cary & Bob

Summary Schedule:
4/18/2015 Sat NJ River Road
4/25/2015 Sat Long Island - Short Version (LIRR Westbury Station Starting Point)
5/2/2015 Sat NJ 9w*
5/9/2015 Sat Free** - Mother's Day Weekend
5/17/2015 Sun NJ 9w
5/23/2015 Sat Free - Memorial Day Weekend
5/30/2015 Sat NJ 9w
5/30/2015 Sat Bloomin Metric*** Southport, CT (for more info http://www.bloominmetric.com)
6/6/2015 Sat Bedford - Short Version (Metro North Bedford Hills Station Starting Point)
6/13/2015 Sat Long Island - Long Version (LIRR Westbury Station Starting Point)
6/20/2015 Sat Free - Father's Day Weekend
6/27/2015 Sat Bedford - Long  Version (Metro North Bedford Hills Station Starting Point)
7/4/2015 Sat Free - Independence Day Weekend
7/11/2015 Sat NJ 9w
7/19/2015 Sat To BE determined
8/2/2015 Sun Ride to benefit both NYFAC & JDRF in Howard Beach, Queens

*9w indicates a ride across the George Washington Bridge (GWB) into New Jersey.  Our goal is to vary these rides and join up with NJ JDRF Chapters when possible.

**Free denotes nothing officially planned but one of your two coaches will be riding and will put something together ad hoc for those interested.

***if there is interest among the Crankees (so far one Crankee has signed up so I (Bob) will be riding there too)