Custom Category

alterano lantiano

Aug 15, 2020, 3:30:44 PM8/15/20
to NxFilter
I created a custom category (in admin probile NxCloud): PrimeVideoAmazon:

customCattura.PNG
I want to block this category:
in operator Policy o select this category (correct ?)

customCattura2.PNG

The category PrimeVideoAmazon isn't blocket: why ?

The sequence is correct ?

Jahastech

Aug 15, 2020, 8:43:50 PM8/15/20
to NxFilter
Are you sure that PrimeVideoAmzon gets blocked why you block those 2 domains?

Test it with nslookup first.
  nslookup amazonvideo.com

Do it on the operator's network.

alterano lantiano

Aug 16, 2020, 3:42:18 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
On PC NxCloud blocks everything, on smartphone Prime Video application works perfectly.
On smartphone I use the same connection fultrated on the same dns, disabled mobile data.
How can you do to block everything?

Can I set up something from smrthone that analyzes everything?

I don't understand how I did OpenDns block management of the Amazon Video app and more

Thanks for your help

Jahastech

Aug 16, 2020, 3:51:51 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
Are you sure that your smartphone is using NxFilter as its DNS server? Do you see any log from the smartphone on 'Logging > Request'? Do you get blocked when you use a browser on the smartphone requesting blocked domains? And there's nslookup for smartphones. Try to test with it.

alterano lantiano

Aug 16, 2020, 4:19:26 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
On Smartphone:
If i digit "primevideo.com" on browser chrome, it is blocked
if use app android prime video it works properly

Jahastech

Aug 16, 2020, 4:31:34 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
Are you sure that it uses 'primevideo.com'? What if it uses other domains? And are you sure that the app is using DNS at all? Why don't you isolate the problem first. Try to use the app only and see what do you have in your log. If it doesn't use DNS, you have to block it on other levels like firewall.

alterano lantiano

Aug 16, 2020, 5:04:25 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
When i use primevideo with chrome, i am sure

with app android I am not sure: are there possibilities to analize app android ?

where is "logging-> request" in android? are there any specific apps to check? it is also difficult to block such traffic if you don't know what it does

Thanks for your help

Jahastech

Aug 16, 2020, 5:11:24 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
What I am saying is that if the app uses NxFilter, it will leave some log and you can view it on 'Logging > Request'. So see if it uses NxFilter as its DNS server or not. That's where you start.

And there's another approach if it's for streaming. We have Bandwidth Control with NxFilter. You can limit bandwidth for each user.

If I were you I will test it using some traffic analyzer like wireshark.

alterano lantiano

Aug 16, 2020, 5:58:11 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
What I am saying is that if the app uses NxFilter, it will leave some log and you can view it on 'Logging > Request'. So see if it uses NxFilter as its DNS server or not. That's where you start.

Checking inside the NxCloud log is a painstaking job and it would be interesting to know some logging system, to be hooked to nxcloud, which would allow greater analysis with more research.
would have a tip for a good open source if possible syslog ?

A check shows that to block apps:
PrimeVideo needs to be blocked:

Youtube:

-----
I'll keep trying to map apps like:
instagram
TikTok
netflix
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook

this to allow the blocking of the single app without blocking the entire social category, streaming

When the work is completed and tested, I publish everything
---

And there's another approach if it's for streaming. We have Bandwidth Control with NxFilter. You can limit bandwidth for each user.

Is it very interesting, but in NxCloud is it possible ? ( Config > Setup > NetFlow  there isn't )
This is very interesting when users are using tablets, smartphones via hotspots in resorts, hotels, small businesses, etc.

NxFilter supports a user level bandwidth control by utilizing NetFlow data from a router. The idea is simple. NxFilter associates NetFlow data to a user login IP address and if there is a user consumed up bandwidth over the limit you set on a policy, NxFilter blocks all the DNS requests from the user.

Can this feature be used even when a user connects via smartphone without any logon to the network? user guest, not to be applied to all user quests and to the single ip address that is currently connecting

Thanks

Jahastech

Aug 16, 2020, 6:02:41 AM8/16/20
to NxFilter
What you need to know is how to isolate the problem. Create a user for the smartphone. Maybe NxFilter is better for this purpose not NxCloud. And with your smartphone, use only the app and see the log by the user.

We don't support Bandwidth Control for NxCloud. Not possible as it's per-user.

alterano lantiano

Aug 16, 2020, 3:38:49 PM8/16/20
to NxFilter