Conditional forwarders or zone tranfers for PFSENSE

Jason

Jan 31, 2014, 11:17:01 AM1/31/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
my main staff vlan is working great on nxfilter as it's with AD DNS. the problem I'm having is my secondary vlans are just issues dhcp from pfsense boxes. I can find away to transfer dns lookups to them. I don't think they support zone transfers.  It worked fine in active directory dns to do conditional fowarders to these. is there a good way to do this or maybe something better from nxfilter. I need to resolve these from my staff network as well as the public (both are using nxfilter for dns)

ex pfesne box domain, IP address
bb.localdomain 10.10.100.1
cb.localdomain 10.10.110.1
fl.localdomain 10.10.120.1
mpl.localdomain 10.10.130.1

Thanks for any help!

Jinhee

Jan 31, 2014, 8:16:47 PM1/31/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
You can use 'Config > redirection' for this.
That's actually your custom A record.

Jinhee

Jason

Feb 2, 2014, 8:41:31 PM2/2/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

But I don't think an A record is what a need the ip addresses listed are the NS servers for those domains. (search domains are setup for those within our AD environment) I just need a way for example for the request for bpub15.bb.localdomain to be forwarded for the dns (name server) for bb.localdomain which is 10.10.100.1

Not sure how I would accomplish this since pfsense doesn't seem to support zone transfers.

Jinhee

Feb 2, 2014, 8:45:06 PM2/2/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
How about this one then?

  http://nxfilter.org/faq.php#bypass_local

It's a way of bypassing your local domain to your local DNS server.

Jinhee

Jason

Feb 2, 2014, 9:06:46 PM2/2/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
Sweet. I think that should work.  Can I specifiy multiple 'local_dns' IPs? there are four local domains each with its own different DNS server for them (they aren't synced to each other in anyway)

Jinhee

Feb 2, 2014, 9:17:05 PM2/2/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
No. You can specify multiple domain but not multiple servers.

Jinhee

Jinhee

Feb 2, 2014, 9:23:13 PM2/2/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
So you have 4 DNS servers for 4 networks?
Does your pfSense DNS server resolve Internet domain as well?
Can you set them up resolving only local domains?

If you can make NxFilter as your primary DNS.
And each pfSense DNS becomes secondary DNS.
Then your PC will send queries to your pfSense DNS if they can't get answer from NxFilter.

Jinhee

Jason

Feb 4, 2014, 1:24:37 PM2/4/14
to nxfil...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I ended up just integrating those additional networks to AD DHCP with additional scopes and firewall pinholes.. much easier to manage. so now all can resolve properly.

Thanks.