Sunday Morning fsq Net will include another repeater test

Steve Stroh

Nov 5, 2021, 1:34:41 PM11/5/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Fellow DG'ers:

This Sunday, 2021-11-07, at the usual time of 09:00 - 10:00, some of
us will be doing another repeater test to transmit our fsq signals via
a repeater rather than 145.58 simplex.

The repeater to be used this Sunday is Mount Baker Amateur Radio
Club's Mt. Constitution VHF Repeater ("Connie V"). Set your fsq radio
for:
Receive: 146.740 MHz
Transmit: 146.140 MHz
CTCSS (subaudible tone, "PL"): 103.5

ANY FSQ USER IS WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS TEST - especially those
that usually cannot participate in the net because they're not within
simplex range of the core group (Western Whatcom County).

We hope that the location of this wide coverage repeater - Mt.
Constitution on Orcas Island, and that it's a 2 meter repeater, will
work better than the previous repeater test.

The goal is to evaluate if using a repeater, rather than simplex, will
allow a better overall experience for the fsq net:
* Minimize doubling
* Allow weak or distant stations to be heard by more stations rather
than just a few
* Accommodate the increased number of stations participating in the
Sunday morning fsq nets.

Prior to 09:00, I will come on the repeater via voice, ask if the
repeater is in use, and announce that a data net, using the fsq
protocol, will be conducted using fsq.

To accommodate the max number of users, allow each user a "slot", Budd
suggests watching his "Smart Heard" display and transmit your thoughts
when your callsign is at the bottom of the "Heard in the last 15
minutes" list. Apologies for no screenshot for this.

I'll also periodically announce, via voice, this test is in progress
during the fsq net.

Budd WB7FHC or I will announce this test to the MBARC general
membership via a separate email list.

To answer a likely question, this test was discussed with the MBARC
Board at its October 2021 regular meeting, and the Board did not have
any objections to this test.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Steve Stroh N8GNJ
President, MBARC Digital Group 2021-2022
Member, MBARC Board of Directors 2021-2022

--
Steve Stroh steve...@gmail.com
Editor

Andy Sayler

Nov 5, 2021, 1:54:42 PM11/5/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Great work Steve!

It will be fun to hear how it goes....

image.png

Andy Sayler, Head Monkey | Keyed Up/Oil Can Garage.
Down The Street | Lynden, WA 98264 | mobile (360) 319-7417

Greg Franklin

Nov 5, 2021, 2:15:15 PM11/5/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,
Do participants typically run FSQ via FLdigi for this exercise?
73
Greg
VA7BC
West Vancouver, BC

Buy products made in Canada,  USA, and Europe

Steve Stroh

Nov 5, 2021, 2:42:25 PM11/5/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Greg:

fsq is one of the modes within the fldigi suite. As I (often
imperfectly) understand it, if you have fldigi installed, fsq is just
a mode selection.

If you'll be joining us for the first time, some conventions are:
* Put in your callsign as all lower case (more efficient - uppercase
requires more tones)
* set your fsq to 6 bps (you can go as low as 1.5, but that is s...
l... o... w....
* type your message with all lowercase (more efficient)
* Prepend every transmission with:
allcall (space) (then the text to transmit)
so that it's displayed by everyone on the channel.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/CAJvOYNrRDmYqpsaVhzzDQTsBZwYTa93xRdwsq_g%3DR%2BzRj4qEtw%40mail.gmail.com.

Greg Franklin

Nov 5, 2021, 2:53:12 PM11/5/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tips Steve.  I have used FSQ on HF.  If the stars align this weekend I'll try joining in.
73
Greg
VA7BC

Buy products made in Canada,  USA, and Europe