How to reformat an SD card

Chris KC9AD

Jan 2, 2022, 11:51:17 AM1/2/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
I have noticed that installing Linux on an SD card creates partitions that Windows cannot deal with easily. For example, you may find that your 16 GB SD card shows up  in your Windows system as a 256 MB disk. Here is an excellent article that describes exactly how to reformat the entire SD card as a single partition. I am sure there must be a Linux equivalent but, since I am not an experienced Linux user, I often resort to Windows solutions.

73.
Chris Doutre, KC9AD

David N7NTN

Jan 2, 2022, 12:01:58 PM1/2/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Chris, on another note, do you own a Kenwood V71A and if so do you have a csv file code plug for it?

David N7NTN

Jan 2, 2022, 12:06:52 PM1/2/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
My apologies Chris I didn't identify myself.
David Reitz, n7ntn

Chris Doutre

Jan 2, 2022, 1:19:05 PM1/2/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com

David,

I do have one. I will dig it out and post it.

Chris KC9AD

Steve Stroh

Jan 2, 2022, 1:23:52 PM1/2/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Chris, all:

The Raspberry Pi imager utility -
https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-imager-imaging-utility/
has been rock solid for me (Mac user). It's available for Mac,
Windows, and Ubuntu Linux for X86.

It's one of those great pieces of software that just works. It has
native support for Raspberry Pi OS, but can also be used with other
.iso images. I used it for the legacy version of AG7GN's software.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ
> --

Steve Stroh N8GNJ
Editor
Zero Retries Newsletter - https://zeroretries.substack.com
Twitter - @zeroretries / https://twitter.com/zeroretries

Steve Magnuson

Jan 2, 2022, 1:24:47 PM1/2/22
to nwwdigi
The Raspberry Pi image consists of 2 partitions, one is a 256MB FAT32 partition, which is readable in Windows, the other is EXT4 (Linux-only, not readable by Windows and takes up the remainder of the space on the card). that’s why only a 256MB drive appears when you put a microSD card with a Pi image on it in Windows.

If you want to repurpose a microSD card with a Pi image on it, then Chris’ Windows solution works fine. If you simply want to burn a new Pi image onto a card that already has a Pi image (or anything else) on it, it’s not necessary to reformat the card first, even in Windows. Balena Etcher (for example) will just write over EVERYTHING that’s on the card.

Steve
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/CAGh1Bg4NYGhQdPDsm4Ub9ZbCrYvoQc_UUvaaz2U_%2BMdVAQhJCg%40mail.gmail.com.

Rochelle Sears

Jan 3, 2022, 3:41:42 PM1/3/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I have found that Windows 10 has no problem reformatting a PI image SD card to one single FAT32 partition using all the space on the card.

FK7VOP
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/9669C004-56A2-4F3F-8CC1-31957436F618%40gmail.com.

Art Miller

Jan 3, 2022, 7:55:37 PM1/3/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
When I was mucking around with Linux in Windows one tool I used often was the partition manager, I believe they still have it but you have to look for it (search "partition manager" in the start menu). While you can't create Linux partitions you can delete all the partitions and reformat the card.

Rochelle Sears

Jan 4, 2022, 2:28:14 PM1/4/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Yup, Windows provides all the tools you need to recover an SD card that has a Linux/R-Pi partition.

The partition manager is in "Windows Administration Tools" as "Disk Management"

KF7VOP

Chris Doutre

Jan 4, 2022, 4:02:27 PM1/4/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rochelle.

Actually, I tried Disk Management first but I was unable to find a procedure to reformat a Linux SD card. The first credible procedure I was able to find was the one using the Command Line DISKPART. If you can share a documented procedure for using Disk Management, I think that would be helpful. 73.

Chris Doutre KC9AD

Yup, Windows provides all the tools you need to recover an SD card that has a Linux/R-Pi partition.

Art Miller

Jan 4, 2022, 4:41:45 PM1/4/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Open disk management, you'll see each physical device listed along with each partition that is on each device

There should be 2 or 3 partitions on your thumb drive. Select each one and press delete or right click and hit delete. Once they are all gone right click the space and hit new partition. Select fat32 and hit go. That should remove all partitions and give you a new Windows readable partition