How do you know when the ISS will be in radio range?

Chris KC9AD

Oct 10, 2021, 1:25:39 PM10/10/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
I have an app called "spot the station" but it only reports passes that are high above the horizon and at night-time only. Is there a 24/7 solution that shows low-elevation passes also?

Jim Erickson

Oct 10, 2021, 1:30:01 PM10/10/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com

I use an app called SatSat.  I think it's available for both iOS and Android.  There's an option to filter out low elevation passes, but you can adjust how low you want to filter.  It's also HAM friendly as it often includes the down-link and up-link frequencies of the satellites.

73, Jim (VA7SHG/VE7TGZ)

On 2021-10-10 10:25 a.m., Chris KC9AD wrote:
I have an app called "spot the station" but it only reports passes that are high above the horizon and at night-time only. Is there a 24/7 solution that shows low-elevation passes also? --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/61245438-dec2-4925-9d02-a93d6c515304n%40googlegroups.com.

Chris KC9AD

Oct 10, 2021, 1:43:33 PM10/10/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Jim,

That works; I'll know for sure in 70 minutes. Thank you. 73.

Chris KC9AD

Rochelle Sears

Oct 10, 2021, 3:00:20 PM10/10/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com

I use ISS Detector it will show all ISS passes even daylight passes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en_US&gl=US

It also shows “Iridium Flairs” If you have never witnessed this phenomenon it’s pretty cool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

KF7VOP

BTW: It’s nice to see you all finally doing ISS contact

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/posts/10213028874984823