NEXUS Trouble

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 6, 2022, 7:18:18 PM1/6/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
I need some trouble shooting guidance to get my new/old NEXUS operational.

I have just put together my NEXUS kit that I purchased about two years ago.
The PCB is marked as "REV-DRX-B" 09-09-19.
The NEXUS download image is Version 20201212.

I started testing with FLDIGI.  I have two radios attached  and the waterfall is displaying correctly for both the Left anf Right radios. So the Rx data is getting to the RPi.

*-- Left radio is an ICOM 703 connected to the LEFT radio 6 pin DIN.
*-- Right radio is a Yaesu FT-60 connected to the TRRS connector With a resistor in series with the PTT and a capacitor in series with the mic connection.

Next I tied to send a winlink email message using Direwolf and PAT.
This operation failed on both radios. The radios do go into transmit mode but no Tx audio signal is there.  I can hear the digital Tx signal through HDMI when I enable "Start Radio TX Monitor" but this signal doesn't seemed to make it through the Fe-Pi sound card. I have watched the Tx points with a scope and no signal is present on the NEXUS board while I hear it on the monitor.

 I configured Direwold and PAT using instructions available on github.  In fact I've read every "readme" I could find in all NEXUS Repositories multiple times and tried to verify everything.  This includes "NEXUS DR-X Audio Configuration:  writted by Steve Magnuson, AG7GN.

So, any suggestions on how I might proceed would be welcome.

BTW, The kit went together very smoothly and the documentation is excellent.  You guys have done a very nice job, But I'm overlooking something and could use a little guidance.

Thanks

Steve Magnuson

Jan 7, 2022, 2:52:38 PM1/7/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

Make sure the Fe-Pi’s audio out isn’t muted. See: https://github.com/AG7GN/images#annoyances

Also, the image you are currently using is no longer maintained. I recommend that you install the latest RaspiOS “bullseye” software for your Nexus DR-X. I published instructions last Saturday: https://github.com/NexusDR-X/nexus-bootstrap/wiki

Steve

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 7, 2022, 3:48:14 PM1/7/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Thank you Steve.  I'll try starting over with a new SW reload using your new instructions this afternoon.  I know the Fe-Pi is not muted at least as shown on the AlsaMixer screen.  I am likely having software configuration issues so hopefully the reload will fix the problem..

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 11, 2022, 6:21:24 PM1/11/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
After reloading all software according to Steve's wiki, things are working much better.  I am able to send winlink messages with PAT from the Right Radio.  I am also able to use FLDIGI on the Left Radio.  However something is wrong with the FLDIGI Right Radio.  When I start it, the FLDIGI screen shows for about 10-20 seconds then it closes again.

Also in order to see the entire NEXUS screen while using VNC, I had to set the "Scaling properties" (Properties>Options.Scaling}  on my VNC viewer app from "Auto" to "Scale to Fit Window" . If this is normal, perhaps it should be mentioned in the wiki; if its there, I missed it.  It took me quite a while to find and fix this problem.

Thanks for the support, and a great product.

Steve Magnuson

Jan 11, 2022, 7:05:00 PM1/11/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

For the Fldigi-right issue, make sure no other application is running. Open a Terminal and run:

PULSE_SINK=fepi-playback PULSE_SOURCE=fepi-capture fldigi --config-dir /home/pi/.fldigi-right --flmsg-dir /home/pi/.nbems-right

The Terminal will print some diagnostic data before Fldigi crashes. While VNC’d in and after Fldigi crashes, select (highlight) that output text in the Terminal with your mouse, then press SHIFT-CTRL-C to copy it. On your PC/Mac, paste it into and email and send it to this group.

For the VNC problem, that behavior is not normal. What is the resolution of the screen of the system running the VNC Viewer? You might need to reduce the “Headless Resolution” on the Pi. Click Raspberry > Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration. Select the Display tab and pick something lower than 1920x1080 for the Headless Resolution. Click OK to save. Try VNC again.

Has anyone else running Bullseye seen this VNC behavior?

Steve
AG7GN
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/0b1d4db9-df5f-49c4-9dea-83988afd2fc7n%40googlegroups.com.

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 11, 2022, 10:57:32 PM1/11/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Steve,
I used Real VNC Viewer  on 3 different computers.  All 3 computers exhibited the same truncated display.  I could only see the upper left corner of the Nexus desktop.

The computers:
1.  A Win 10 Laptop with display resolution of 1920 X 1080
2. A linux desktop with display resolution of 1680 X 1050
3. A android tablet with unknown resolution.

BTW the Win 10 and linux  VNC viewers looked normal  when I had the older unsupported software installed on the Nexus.

As for the Headless Resolution parameter, I tried all available drop-down selections with a reboot in between with no effect.  The VNC viewer displays remained the same.

I will try your FLDIGI test later tonight if I can and report back.

Thanks again for your attention.  I know you must be a busy person.

Bob KG7ZOK

Steve Magnuson

Jan 12, 2022, 1:03:05 PM1/12/22
to nwwdigi
This is good feedback, Bob.

Bullseye is using a new HDMI driver and there are reports on the forums about VNC resolution problems on Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+. Are you using a 3B/3B+ or a 4B?

Another thing to try regarding this VNC behavior:

1) Return your headless resolution setting on your Pi to 1920x1080.
2) Power off your Pi
3) Disconnect the HDMI cable from your Pi and leave it disconnected.
4) Start your Pi and VNC in to it from your PC.

See if that makes a difference.

Steve
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/4d4deeff-b161-48af-8e20-ec18e727ad0an%40googlegroups.com.

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 12, 2022, 3:47:02 PM1/12/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Here is the result of the test command you sent me...

pi@nexus-kg7zok:~ $ PULSE_SINK=fepi-playback PULSE_SOURCE=fepi-capture fldigi --config-dir /home/pi/.fldigi-right --flmsg-dir /home/pi/.nbems-right
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround21
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround21
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround40
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround41
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround50
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround51
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround71
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.iec958
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.iec958
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.iec958
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib conf.c:4745:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5233:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hdmi
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib conf.c:4745:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5233:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:823:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
ALSA lib conf.c:5200:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters {AES0 0x6 AES1 0x82 AES2 0x0 AES3 0x2  CARD 0}
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958:{AES0 0x6 AES1 0x82 AES2 0x0 AES3 0x2  CARD 0}
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card

Caught signal 11
Aborting fldigi due to a fatal error.
Please report this to:   fldigi...@sourceforge.net
or file a bug report at: https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/newticket

****** Stack trace:
fldigi[0x299db4]
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6(__default_sa_restorer+0x0)[0x75d5eda0]
fldigi[0x2fcacc]
fldigi[0x2f60ac]
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libfltk.so.1.3(_ZN2Fl4waitEd+0x6c)[0x76d5bbd8]
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libfltk.so.1.3(_ZN2Fl3runEv+0x30)[0x76d5bd88]
fldigi(main+0xf8c)[0x2b86c]
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x114)[0x75d46be0]

****** Version information:
fldigi 4.1.20
Copyright (C) 2007-2010 Dave Freese, Stelios Bounanos, and others.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html>

****** Build information:
Build information:
  built          : Thu Dec 30 14:26:48 PST 2021 by pi@buildpi32 on armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf for armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

  configure flags: '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var'

  compiler       : gcc version 10.2.1 20210110 (Raspbian 10.2.1-6+rpi1)

  compiler flags : -I$(srcdir) -I$(srcdir)/include -I$(srcdir)/irrxml -I$(srcdir)/libtiniconv -I$(srcdir)/fileselector -I$(srcdir)/xmlrpcpp -I$(srcdir)/mbedtls -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/uuid -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/uuid -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/uuid -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/opus -D_REENTRANT -pthread -I/usr/include/libusb-1.0 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -pipe -Wall -fexceptions -O2 --param=max-vartrack-size=0 -I$(srcdir)/xmlrpcpp --param=max-vartrack-size=0 -DNDEBUG

  linker flags   : -lportaudio -lasound -lm -lpthread -lfltk_images -lfltk -lX11 -lX11 -lsndfile -lsamplerate -lpulse-simple -lpulse -lhamlib -lpng16 -lz -ldl -lpthread -ludev

  libraries      : FLTK 1.3.5
                   libsamplerate 0.2.1
                   libsndfile 1.0.31
                   PortAudio 19
                   PulseAudio 14.2
                   Hamlib 4.4

Runtime information:
  system         : Linux nexus-kg7zok 5.10.63-v7+ #1488 SMP Thu Nov 18 16:14:44 GMT 2021 armv7l

  libraries      : libsamplerate-0.2.1 (c) 2002-2008 Erik de Castro Lopo
                   libsndfile-1.0.31
                   PortAudio V19.6.0-devel, revision 396fe4b6699ae929d3a685b3ef8a7e97396139a4 1246720
                   Pulseaudio 14.2.0
                   Hamlib 4.4
pi@nexus-kg7zok:~ $

Steve Magnuson

Jan 12, 2022, 4:14:06 PM1/12/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

All looks normal right up until signal 11 is caught with no obvious cause shown. Since your left Fldigi works fine, the problem must lie in the configuration. I suggest removing the right radio configuration and letting Fldigi create a new one.

1) Close Fldigi.

2) Open a Terminal and run:

rm -rf .fldigi-right

3) Close the Terminal

4) Start Fldigi (Right Radio) from the Hamradio menu. Follow the prompts to configure your callsign, name, etc.

Rig Control > GPIO settings should look like this. Be sure to click Initialize after checking the other items on this screen. Make sure all other rig control options (flrig, CAT, Hamlib, etc.) are not enabled.

Sound settings. You can enable or disable “Audio Device shared by…” or not, your choice.

and right channel settings:

Under Misc > TCP-IP sessions, uncheck Lock, then make the fields look like below. When done, check Lock again.

and finally the Misc > NBEMS interface:

The flmsg field should contain:

/usr/bin/flmsg --flmsg-dir /home/pi/.nbems-right --server-port 8090 -title "Flmsg (right radio)"

5) Click Save, then Close.

6) Close Fldigi and re-run it from the menu.

Steve

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 12, 2022, 4:31:57 PM1/12/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Hi Steve
I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B, it most likely is a 3B+ but I don't remember for sure.  I can un-stack the Nexus to look if it is important.

New information on VNC display problem...
Test 1
I returned the headless resolution to 1920x1080.
I disconnected the HDMI cable
I cycled power on the Pi
I restarted VNC (now back in Scaling Automatic).  I can see the Nexus desktop but only in a small portion of the screen.  ie. the original problem is back.

Test 2
I set VNC Display Scaling to 100%
Restarted VNC connection and problem is still there.

Test 3
I set VNC Display Scaling to "Scale to fit window"
Restarted VNC connection and problem is still there.

Test 4
I set the headless resolution to 1280x1040
Cycled power on Nexus.
Restarted VNC connection and problem is still there.

Test 5
I set the headless resolution to 1024x768
Cycled power on Nexus.
Restarted VNC connection and problem is still there.

FINALLY Test 6
Powered off the Nexus
Connected HDMI display
Restarted Nexus
Restarted VNC connection and

NOW THE VNC DISPLAY FILLS THE SCREEN PROPERLY
I even returned the headless resolution back to 1920x1080.
As long as the HDMI display is plugged in.  VNC seems to work properly.
I returned VNC Scaling to Automatic and all is still OK.

Bob

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 12, 2022, 4:57:55 PM1/12/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
OK Steve
FLDIGI Right Radio now starts and stays running.
However when I close Fldigi the Right Radio transmit light turns on and stays that way untill I restart Fldigi.
Fortunately I have no radio actually connected on the right side.

Steve Magnuson

Jan 12, 2022, 4:59:17 PM1/12/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

Yes, I confirm the behavior you describe on a 3B+. It does not happen on a 4B and it does not *consistently* happen on a 3B+.

If you’re happy leaving your HDMI cable attached, great. If not, I’ve posted a fix on the wiki: https://github.com/NexusDR-X/nexus-bootstrap/wiki/7.-Bugs-and-Annoyances#vnc-only-shows-a-small-window-of-the-remote-pi

The fix I describe is a summary of KM4ACK’s YouTube that addresses the problem. There’s a link to the video in the Wiki. I applied his fix to my 3B+ and it does work.

Steve
AG7GN
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/54990cc8-9313-4fc2-b1ae-84fb493c1c27n%40googlegroups.com.

Steve Magnuson

Jan 12, 2022, 5:01:12 PM1/12/22
to nwwdigi
Bob,

I have not seen that behavior. Try this: Open Fldigi (right), Configure > Rig Control > GPIO and click the Initialize button a couple more times. Close Fldigi and see if the problem persists.

Steve

> On Jan 12, 2022, at 1:57 PM, Robert Mckelvy <mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK Steve
> FLDIGI Right Radio now starts and stays running.
> However when I close Fldigi the Right Radio transmit light turns on and stays that way untill I restart Fldigi.
> Fortunately I have no radio actually connected on the right side.
>
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 1:14:06 PM UTC-8 steve.m...@gmail.com wrote:
> Bob,
>
> All looks normal right up until signal 11 is caught with no obvious cause shown. Since your left Fldigi works fine, the problem must lie in the configuration. I suggest removing the right radio configuration and letting Fldigi create a new one.
>
> 1) Close Fldigi.
>
> 2) Open a Terminal and run:
>
> rm -rf .fldigi-right
>
> 3) Close the Terminal
>
> 4) Start Fldigi (Right Radio) from the Hamradio menu. Follow the prompts to configure your callsign, name, etc.
>
> Rig Control > GPIO settings should look like this. Be sure to click Initialize after checking the other items on this screen. Make sure all other rig control options (flrig, CAT, Hamlib, etc.) are not enabled.
>

> Sound settings. You can enable or disable “Audio Device shared by…” or not, your choice.
>

> and right channel settings:
>

> Under Misc > TCP-IP sessions, uncheck Lock, then make the fields look like below. When done, check Lock again.
>

> and finally the Misc > NBEMS interface:
>

> The flmsg field should contain:
>
> /usr/bin/flmsg --flmsg-dir /home/pi/.nbems-right --server-port 8090 -title "Flmsg (right radio)"
>
> 5) Click Save, then Close.
>
> 6) Close Fldigi and re-run it from the menu.
>
> Steve
>
>> On Jan 12, 2022, at 12:47 PM, Robert Mckelvy <mck...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> PULSE_SINK=fepi-playback PULSE_SOURCE=fepi-capture fldigi --config-dir /home/pi/.fldigi-right --flmsg-dir /home/pi/.nbems-right

Andy Sayler

Jan 12, 2022, 5:13:07 PM1/12/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
As I read this email this reminds me of an issue I had when setting up the WECG RMS node. I ended up going back through and checking the solder points on the header and found a cold joint. I resoldered all of the header pins and the problem went away.

My .10 cents.

Good Luck!

Steve Magnuson

Jan 13, 2022, 12:52:56 PM1/13/22
to nww...@googlegroups.com
That is an excellent point, Andy, and probably more likely in this case because the left radio works OK.

You can use the raspi-gpio command to see if the Pi (and Fldigi) is driving the BCM pins correctly and if it’s keeping them high after Fldigi terminates. See https://github.com/NexusDR-X/nexus-bootstrap/wiki/4.-Nexus-GPIO-Pins

Steve
AG7GN
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/8164f0d6-084a-4eb4-8e71-bd7b5ac7cc3bn%40googlegroups.com.

Robert Mckelvy

Jan 13, 2022, 6:01:53 PM1/13/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Thank you everyone for holding my hand to help troubleshoot the problems.  I'm the first to admit that with my old eyes, I very well could have a bad solder joint somewhere.  I have examined each joint with a magnifying glass when I first started having problems.
However:
*  Both the Left and Right PTT worked correctly when the older version of software was installed.
*  Also, using the "Radio PTT Monitor" shows the Right Radio TX is is glowing bright red after I close Fldigi.
* Also, I can issue "raspi-gpio set 23 dl" and turn the right PTT off successfully.
These clues make me believe the Pi is holding PTT on and not a bad solder joint.  Of course I could certainly be wrong.

There is another possibility (a long shot).  I am using a yaesu FT-60 HT connected to the TRRS jack (right radio).  This radio uses the microphone input for PTT by connecting a resistor between the mic input and the ptt signal.  Maybe that resistor in the circuit is having an effect, but the FT-60 is working fine using PAT for emails.  No PTT hang there.  I would remove that resistor to test but its soldered to the pads on the back side of the board.

The VNC display fix is working, however. the HDMI output has larger boarders and is more difficult to see (a little blurry).  I can live with that!

I'm starting to think maybe I should get an Rpi 4 and start over again.  At least maybe I should get a clean SD card and try another complete reload.  I've been through so many iterations of things I could easily have something set wrong.