Wednesday Night Casual Data Net on 146.740 repeater

Steve Stroh

Nov 29, 2021, 4:32:35 PM11/29/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
All:

We will begin a casual data "net" on the MBARC 146.740 repeater
starting Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 20:00 - 21:00. This net will
occur each Wednesday at that time.

This will be a CASUAL net. It's not an "official" or formal net -
anyone that wants to participate is welcome to do so. If you have no
interest in another net or don't like operating data on repeaters,
that's fine too.

This new casual net is in ADDITION to the Sunday morning 09:00 casual
net (water hole) on 145.580 simplex - that net remains in operation
with no changes.

This repeater is located on Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island, WA and
has very good coverage of Whatcom County, the San Juan Islands, and
many points South of Whatcom County, even into Snohomish and King
County.

All are welcome to participate. In the first weeks / months, we'll use
the fsq mode of the fldigi suite - same as is done during the Sunday
morning casual net on 145.580 simplex in the Bellingham area. If
you've been participating in the Sunday morning casual net on simplex,
the only changes needed are to change the settings of your radio:
Receive: 146.74
Transmit: 146.14 (- 600 kHz offset)
Subaudible tone (CTCSS / "PL"): 103.5

It's my intent that we'll eventually branch out into trying other data
modes within this casual net, but that will develop as we go along.

Background:
We experimented during the Sunday morning net using 146.740 and
another repeater, and the results using 146.740 were excellent. Using
the repeater allows many more stations to participate, both from a
geographic reach, and fewer collisions (simultaneous transmissions
"jamming" each other) because all stations hear each other equally
well.

Also, Sunday mornings just aren't good for some people due to
conflicts, so having a second casual net on a weeknight may work
better for some people.

If you have any questions, please email me.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

--
Steve Stroh N8GNJ