Wednesday evening data net notes for 2021-12-08

Steve Stroh

Dec 17, 2021, 4:58:50 PM12/17/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
A few notes from our second Wednesday evening data net on 2021-12-08

Joining me (Steve N8GNJ) this evening were:
Budd WB7FHC
Gayland KG7GCF
Mick K7MNF
Peter WA7FUS (from Brier!)
Randy N7EBB

We chatted from 20:00 to approximately 20:54.

Budd demonstrated the image transmission feature of fsq. It takes
approximately 3:20 to send an image completely, but the 146.74
repeater's "stuck transmitter timeout" is set to 3:00 so the last few
lines of Budd's image were cut off. Perhaps we can adjust the timeout
to 3:30, at least for the net.

I tried sending another image, and was surprised to see that fsq
downscales any size image; my image (different from Budd's) also
required 3:20 to transmit.

A good time was had by all.

For the remainder of December, we'll continue to do this net on
Wednesday evenings from 20:00 to approximately 21:00.

At the December 2021 MBARC Digital Group meeting on Tuesday
2021-12-21, we'll discuss a possible change to a different day
starting in January. At the moment, this net overlaps with a voice net
in San Juan County that also occurs Wednesdays at 20:00.

I look forward to chatting via fsq next Wednesday.

- - - - - - - - -

The MBARG DG Wednesday Night Data Net (currently) meets on Wednesday
evening at 20:00 - 21:00 Pacific. This will be a CASUAL net - not
"official" or formal, or directed. Anyone that wants to participate is
welcome to do so.

We meet on the MBARC 146.740 repeater which is located on Mt.
Constitution on Orcas Island. 146.74 is a wide area repeater, offering
coverage into the San Juan Islands, lower British Columbia, and as far
South as North King County. Operating via repeater instead of simplex
is a more consistent, pleasant experience because all stations can
hear each other equally well, minimizing doubling (collisions). If
you've been participating in the Sunday morning casual net on simplex,
the only changes needed are to change the settings of your radio:
Receive: 146.74
Transmit: 146.14 (- 600 kHz offset)
Subaudible tone (CTCSS / "PL"): 103.5

In the first weeks / months, we'll use the fsq (Fast Simple QSO) mode
of the fldigi suite - same as is done during the Sunday morning casual
net on 145.580 simplex in the Bellingham area.

Adding a minimum of 1.5 seconds of “txdelay” allows the repeater to
decode the CTCSS tone, bring up the repeater’s transmitter, and the
modem to begin transmitting well-modulated tones. In Fldigi, go to:
Configure > Config dialog > Configure > IDs > RSiD > Pre-Signal Tone >
1.5 seconds. This insures that listening stations will receive the
full callsign of the transmitting station. (There is a txdelay setting
in Fldigi, but it doesn’t seem to have an effect.)

Because the 146.740 repeater permits high signal-to-noise, we suggest
using the 6 characters per second speed.

If you have any questions, please email me.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ
President 2021-2022
Mount Baker Amateur Radio Club Digital Group

--
Steve Stroh N8GNJ
Editor