Attention users of QSSTV

Steve Magnuson

Mar 3, 2021, 5:28:46 PM3/3/21
to nwwdigi
Due to changes on the developer's website and a few problems with building the latest version of QSSTV on the Pi, you cannot use the Nexus Updater to install or update QSSTV at the moment (the install will fail). I am in contact with the QSSTV developer to get these problems resolved. The Nexus Updater will auto-update once I post a fix, and I’ll also post another message here.

Steve
AG7GN

Steve Magnuson

Mar 4, 2021, 1:26:45 PM3/4/21
to nwwdigi
After multiple email exchanges with the QSSTV developer, we finally have an installation that works on the Pi. The Nexus Updater has been updated with the changes needed to install QSSTV.

Steve
AG7GN

P.S.: If you start QSSTV from the Terminal rather than from the Hamradio menu, note that the name of the binary is misspelled. If you want to run it from the Terminal, you must run it as (note the extra ’s’):

qssstv

I hope the developer will fix that in the next release.

Note also if you want to run it from the Terminal *AND* you want to use it with PulseAudio, you must run it like this:

PULSE_SINK=fepi-playback PULSE_SOURCE=fepi-capture qssstv

Again, this ONLY applies if you start it from the Terminal. If you start it from the Hamradio menu, just click QSSTV and you’re good to go.

Peter Dahl

Mar 4, 2021, 4:58:06 PM3/4/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,
I’m having trouble getting QSSTV to communicate well my IC 7300. The 7300 connects to the pi via USB and is recognized as /dev/tty/USB0 when running WSJT-X apps such as FT4 and FT8. It receives and transmits and controls the radio’s frequency as it is supposed to. I can receive images on hf with the 7300 with QSSTV but I can’t communicate with the radio to make it transmit. Even though I select the Hamlib for the IC7300 and set the communication speed and the civ addresss between the radio and the pi just as I do for WSJT-X I get port errors and the box at the bottom of the main screen says “no rig”. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should try next or… has anyone else in the group used QSSTV successfully with a transceiver which connects to a pi via USB?

Do I remember correctly that you have a 7100 which connects to the pi this way? If so, does it communicate properly with QSSTV

I’ve never transmitted any SSTV so I thought that it might be fun to try. Some of the stations who do SSTV on 14.230 come in very strong some days and I receive perfect picture files.

Peter WA7FUS

Steve Magnuson

Mar 4, 2021, 6:55:11 PM3/4/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

I’ve not used QSSTV beyond installing it, and I have not tried to use it with my 7100. Has anyone here used QSSTV successfully?

If no one replies here, I suggest contacting the developer:

http://users.telenet.be/on4qz/qsstv/manual/index.html
http://users.telenet.be/on4qz/index.html

Steve
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwwdigi/A83E6C7E-6D47-4A9B-91D3-7CA57AA2FDD0%40mac.com.

Steve Magnuson

Mar 5, 2021, 2:58:05 PM3/5/21
to nwwdigi
Peter,

I see no one’s replied yet, so I spent a few minutes this morning getting my 7100 to work with QSSTV.  The settings below work for my setup.

Try these settings, changing the Radio Model and Serial Port/Host, Parity, Baudrate, etc settings for your situation. The important thing is to leave CIV Address blank and select CAT (Voice Port) for PTT Control.

You are able to receive OK on your 7300, which, like my 7100, has a built in sound card so I think your sound card settings are OK. Here are my sound card settings:

Steve

Peter Dahl

Mar 5, 2021, 5:29:39 PM3/5/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
Thank you! I think that I now have it working. Your examples helped greatly. I had one type which I corrected and I modeled my ptt settings after yours including port speed etc. I’m looking forward trying it out now.
Thank you for all of the assistance that you provide for us!

Peter WA7FUS

On Mar 5, 2021, at 11:58 AM, Steve Magnuson <steve.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Peter,

I see no one’s replied yet, so I spent a few minutes this morning getting my 7100 to work with QSSTV.  The settings below work for my setup.

Try these settings, changing the Radio Model and Serial Port/Host, Parity, Baudrate, etc settings for your situation. The important thing is to leave CIV Address blank and select CAT (Voice Port) for PTT Control.

<PastedGraphic-1.png>

You are able to receive OK on your 7300, which, like my 7100, has a built in sound card so I think your sound card settings are OK. Here are my sound card settings:

<PastedGraphic-2.png>