bullseye os on Rpi-4 and Nexus

David N7NTN

Jan 13, 2022, 12:29:36 AM1/13/22
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Steve, I thought you'd like to know that I've also succeeded in setting up the Bullseye OS and Nexus on an Rpi-4 connected in the stack. I started with a fresh build and followed your instructions carefully with no problems so far. That said, I'm a long way from learning everything beyond FSQ. The cpu is running at ~120 degrees F when transmitting on FSQ. I'd guess it would run hotter in more intensive use...so it probably will need some sort of cooling.
Thank you for all the work you've done!
David N7NTN

Steve Magnuson

Jan 13, 2022, 1:04:48 PM1/13/22
to nwwdigi
You’re welcome, David.

120F is 49C. That’s actually quite cool for a CPU temperature. Temperatures greater than 80C are cause for concern on the 4B because that’s when it starts to throttle to reduce the temperature. With the 4B case I recommend, I’ve never seen the temperature exceed 70C even when running a heavy load (2 instances of Fldigi plus VNC, for example). You’ll see a little thermometer icon appear on the desktop when the Pi is throttling to reduce the temperature. If your temperature is below 70C when operating, there’s really no need for extra cooling.

See https://www.scivision.dev/raspberry-pi-check-temperature-of-cpu/

Steve