Digital Group Post-meeting Notes for 2021-09-21

Steve Stroh

Sep 23, 2021, 5:28:36 PM9/23/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
More than 20 of us met on Zoom on Tuesday September 21, 2021 for the
Mount Baker Amateur Radio Club (MBARC) Digital Group (DG). The meeting
was recorded and available for viewing at
https://youtu.be/FdrRwoRYVVc.

AG7GN
Steve Magnuson AG7GN discussed the most recent updates he's done to
the Nexus DR-X image (currently, release candidate, the breakage in
the Nexus DR-X AX25 library and how to fix it, and a demo of the
flexibility of the Nexus DR-X in remotely powering
on/off a Yaesu FT-857 (with no relays!). Steve also discussed a
potential issue with the flrig application in the fldigi suite that
can potentially kill Nexus DR-X units that boot and run from an SD
card. See Steve's extensive notes at
https://github.com/NexusDR-X/images#disable-flrig-trace-logging

Steve's work for the Yaesu FT-857 was a very clever hack!

MOVING THE SUNDAY MORNING FSQ NET TO A REPEATER
Budd Churchward WB7FHC led a discussion about moving the DG's Sunday
(09:00 - 10:00 every Sunday morning) fsq chat to a repeater instead of
using 145.58 MHz. The issue leading this change is the Hidden Node
Problem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_node_problem) where
widely dispersed stations operating on a simplex channel can sometimes
not hear each other transmit, and thus cause a collision (sometimes
called "doubling"). Budd points out that the Sunday morning fsq chat
has become more popular, and thus there are more (and more
frustrating) collisions occurring.

Moving to a repeater doesn't entirely remove the possibility of
collisions, but it lessens that issue considerably. When using a
repeater, (theoretically) all users hear all other users, thus
collisions from hidden nodes not hearing each other is considerably
reduced.

We discussed the use of various repeaters, and settled on using the
Mount Baker Amateur Radio Club's UHF Repeater on Squalicum Mountain.
That repeater was chosen because it is currently very lightly used.
This repeater transmits on 443.750 MHz. The user transmits on (and the
repeater receives on) 448.750 MHz. You'll also need to configure your
radio to transmit a CTCSS tone of 103.5 Hz; without the CTCSS tone,
the repeater will "ignore" your transmissions.

If any DG user is using a radio for FSQ that is 144-148 MHz only,
please make that known. We may decide to move this experiment to a
144-148 MHz repeater rather than "Squalicum Mountain UHF".

I will soon tune my fsq system to this repeater, and turn off
"sounding" so my station doesn't automatically transmit once per hour.
If you want to test out using the repeater with my station, first
announce yourself by voice, like "This is N7XYZ testing fsq" and then
either ping my station:
n8gnj*
or request a reception report:
n8gnj?

At the moment, this is an experiment. For those of us with dual-band
radios, Budd suggests meeting as usual on 145.580 MHz simplex, and
then switch over to the repeater. We will try this experiment
beginning Sunday 2021-09-26 and we'll discuss our results at our next
DG meeting (2021-10-19).

BUDD AND ED'S HIGH RESOLUTION CAMERA DEMO
Budd Churchward WB7FHC did an impressive demonstration of his high
resolution Illuminati camera that is accessible from the Whatcom
County AREDN network. Budd showed an impressive zoom of the towers on
Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island, more than 20 miles away. Ed Bishop
AE7QD has the same camera and did a similarly impressive soom shot of
towers on Lookout Mountain. More information about these cameras at
https://sunbatech.com/product/sunba-illuminati/

2021 DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE PRESENTATION ON WHATCOM COUNTY
MULTIPURPOSE REMOTE NODES
Andy Sayler KF7VOL and I did a quick rehash of the presentation we did
for the 2021 ARRL and TAPR Digital Communications Conference on the
Whatcom County Multipurpose Remote Nodes (MRNs).
Prerecorded video provided to the 2021 DCC - https://youtu.be/x9Hftc1y6oI
2021 DCC Presentation Slides -
https://www.superpacket.org/2021/09/whatcom_county_wa_multipurpose_remote_nodes_final.pdf
2021 DCC Proceedings Paper -
https://www.superpacket.org/2021/09/tapr_dcc_2021_multipurpose_remote_nodes.pdf

Andy and Steve AG7GN talked about a new Multipurpose Remote Node
that's in development for deployment on Lookout Mountain. This MRN
will be a bit different because it will use a Yaesu 857, which is an
HF / VHF / UHF radio instead of the VHF / UHF radios that are used in
the previous MRNs.

MBARC WEBSITE STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS
The Mount Baker Amateur Radio Club new website remains a work in
progress. There is a known issue - if you type (or your browser
"helps" you) www.mbarc.org, that will fail. Instead, make sure that
you type mbarc.org (no www) and you'll see the new website, which is
actually https://mbarc.groups.io. Click on "Wiki" at the bottom of the
menu bar on the left.

The old website is still online and accessible - https://archive.mbarc.org.

I have begun populating the Digital Group section of the new website -
https://mbarc.groups.io/g/main/wiki/28088. Please take a look and
offer suggestions for content you'd like to see there. For example,
I'll start posting agendas, and notes like these, there.

Note about the new Groups.io email distribution lists - for the
immediate future, the DG will continue to use the Google Groups email
list (see the end of this email for details) rather than the Groups.io
email lists.

BELLINGHAM MAKERSPACE MAKER FAIR OCTOBER 9, 2021
The Bellingham Makerspace (https://bellinghammakerspace.org) will host
a Maker Faire on October 9, 2021 from 10:00 to 17:00 at their location
in the Bellis Fair Mall (next door to Dick's Sporting Goods) -
https://makerfairebellingham.org. The Makerspace has offered space to
showcase Amateur Radio, and I've agreed to try to provide some basic
information on Amateur Radio for this event. My plan of the moment is
to have at least two computers displaying interesting Amateur Radio
graphics, such as https://aprs.fi (centered on Whatcom County) and
perhaps https://www.wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map as well as a slide
deck cycling through slides. I'll provide a basic handout emphasizing
some of the more exciting things about Amateur Radio such as Amateur
Radio space activities and digital activities.

One GREAT suggestion (from, I think, Andy Sayer KF7VOL) was to install
an AREDN node at the Bellingham Makerspace to enable quick "drop in"
Amateur Radio demonstrations of AREDN capabilities. Noted, and I will
be doing so.

The Maker Faire will be a great opportunity to show off Amateur Radio Go-Kits!

Budd suggested doing a soldering demonstration, putting together a
Nexus DR-X kit, and that he would donate a Nexus DR-X kit for such a
demonstration. Gayland Gump KG7GCF volunteered to do so. (There are
two reasonably well-equipped electronics stations at the Bellingham
Makerspace.)

On behalf of Tina Stroh (KD7WSF), the Bellingham Makerspace Interim
Executive Director, I welcome any DG (or MBARC) member's participation
in this event.

Time is short for this event. If you're interested in helping
represent Amateur Radio in some form at the Maker Faire, please go to
this web form: https://makerfairebellingham.org/calling-all-makers/

DIGITAL GROUP TERSE TREASURY REPORT
The DG bank account is $2,555.84, with no expenses due. Approximately
50% of those on the roster as DG members have paid the $10 / year dues
for 2021. Contact trea...@mbarc.org for arrangements on paying MBARC
or Digital Group dues.

RADIO PURCHASE
This topic came up as a followup of the Multipurpose Remote Nodes
presentation. The primary reason the MRNs are so capable is the Nexus
DR-X as the "nexus" of an MRN, but also that most of the MRNs include
a Kenwood TM-V71A radio that not only is a capable data radio, but can
also be fully remote controlled from the Nexus DR-X, such as changing
frequencies, etc. Unfortunately, the TM-V71A has been discontinued as
a victim of the worldwide chip shortage
(https://www.hamradio.com/discontinued.cfm) but is still sporadically
available. I noted that future MRNs would benefit from purchasing a
TM-V71A and that there was a refurbished unit available from Ham Radio
Outlet (HRO) for approximately $350. There was a motion, second, and a
majority affirmation to purchase that unit with DG funds. I
volunteered to buy the radio immediately and get reimbursed.
Unfortunately, that unit was no longer available the next day when HRO
opened. A new TM-V71A at HRO is currently $480, and I didn't feel it
was appropriate to purchase a new unit at the higher price, given that
the vote was for a unit priced at approximately $350.

I think that it would be an appropriate use of DG funds to purchase
one, or even two new TM-V71A radios, but that's a discussion for the
next meeting.

The meeting concluded after approximately 90 minutes. The MBARC DG
thanks Budd Churchward WB7FHC for the use of his business Zoom account
for conducting the MBARC meetings.

ABOUT THE MOUNT BAKER AMATEUR RADIO CLUB DIGITAL GROUP

The Digital Group (DG) is a technically oriented subsidiary group of
the Mount Baker Amateur Radio Club (MBARC) in Bellingham, Whatcom
County, Washington that is focused on data communications in Amateur
Radio. The goal of the DG is to help DG members and especially
newcomers to Amateur Radio, and Amateur Radio Operators new to data
modes, understand and use Amateur Radio data communications modes
effectively. Most of the DG’s usage of Data Communications occurs on
the Amateur Radio VHF and UHF bands within Whatcom County and
surrounding areas. Information about the Digital Group can be found at
https://mbarc.groups.io/g/main/wiki/28088.

DG Officers 2021-2022:
President: Steve Stroh N8GNJ
Vice President: Budd Churchward WB7FHC
Treasurer: Brian Lawler KN0N
Secretary: Rob Sipes KG7GTC

Joining the DG
Membership in the Digital Group is an add-on to MBARC membership. DG
membership dues are $10/year (in addition to MBARC membership dues).
DG dues are used to support various projects relating to the focus of
the DG, such as building Amateur Radio data communications
infrastructure such as digipeaters. To pay your dues, either send a
check to MBARC Digital Group, PO Box 981, Bellingham, WA 98227 or
(electronic payment - more info next month). If you have questions
about dues, please email trea...@mbarc.org

DG Meetings
For the foreseeable future due to COVID-19 restrictions on in-person
group meetings, the DG meets via Zoom videoconference on the third
Tuesday of each month at 19:00 Pacific. The link for the Zoom
videoconference is published on the DG’s email list. You do not have
to be a member of the DG to attend the physical or virtual meetings.

DG Email Discussion List
The DG uses Google Groups for its email list. If you're a Gmail user,
you can browse to https://groups.google.com/g/nwwdigi and search for
"Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio" and subscribe to the DG
mailing list there. Gmail users can view archives of previous
discussion threads.

If you're not a Gmail user, to subscribe to the DG email list, send an
email (no subject or body text) to nwwdigi+...@googlegroups.com

You do not have to be a member of the DG to subscribe to the DG email
list (though membership is appreciated). Requests to join the DG email
list are moderated to attempt to minimize spammers and spamming.

We are always looking for interesting topics to discuss about Amateur
Radio data communications. Please let me know of topics (and speakers)
that you'd like to see at a future DG Meeting.

Steve Stroh N8GNJ
MBARC Digital Group President 2021-2022

--
Steve Stroh steve...@gmail.com
Editor

Steve Magnuson

Sep 23, 2021, 6:18:27 PM9/23/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Provided motions via email are allowed and given we missed the refurb unit at HRO:

I move to use club funds to purchase a Kenwood TM-V71A @ $480.

Does anyone second?

Steve
AG7GN

Steve Stroh

Sep 23, 2021, 6:24:40 PM9/23/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I second.

Gayland Gump

Sep 23, 2021, 6:32:06 PM9/23/21
to nww...@googlegroups.com

KNØN

Sep 23, 2021, 10:26:45 PM9/23/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
I vote AYE. (If we are voting here).  Reminder- Only vote if you are paid up for 2021 :P

As treasurer- if the purchase is approved, it might be easier if whoever is setting it up made the purchase with a credit card for direct shipment.  I can send a club check to reimburse the buyer after getting an invoice copy.  Alternately, HRO web page says they do accept checks, but allow ten days to clear it.  I would need a shipping address to mail in the order.

Steve Stroh

Sep 24, 2021, 4:32:56 PM9/24/21
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
All:

It quickly became obvious that we wouldn't be able to achieve a valid
vote (quorum) via email, so this discussion / voting is tabled until
next month's DG meeting.

In the meantime, the officers were able to arrive at a satisfactory
solution, which we'll discuss next month.

So, no more votes needed.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ
DG President 2021-2022