February NWSFS Zoom Event - Pseudo Summer Solstice Spaghetti Sauce-Off Social

1 view

Bill B

Feb 16, 2021, 10:29:32 PM2/16/21
to nwsfs-ann...@googlegroups.com, nw...@googlegroups.com

We’ve made it to February 2021 and it is time once again for the

Pseudo Summer Solstice Spaghetti Sauce-Off Social

As much as we all wanted the Sauce Off to be in person, that is not yet practical. So, your hard-working board has considered the options and decided to hold it anyway . . . virtually of course.  This social will be slightly different from our previous virtual socials in that this time, we have an agenda!  Planned for February 20, 2021

Tim

What we think will be happening

3:45 PM

Zoom social opens to start letting people in.

4:00 PM

Zoom meeting officially starts

5:00 PM

NWSFS Announcements

5:10 PM

Contest Starts

And, what is the Psuedo Summer Solstice Spaghetti Sauce Off Social without the highly anticipated competition between fannish cooks?  There are two competitions this year! The first is our “Traditional” competition (modified from an "in-person sauce tasting" to a "general visual presentation") in which each entrant will show off their entry to the Zoom crowd and describe it’s culinary properties. After the presentations, the judges (arbitrarily chosen by the host) will be shunted off to their own Zoom Room to deliberate and choose the winners. Winners are entitled to a special pasta prize and a year’s worth of bragging rights.  Your host for the evening is Ben Schreiber! Thank you, Ben for agreeing to host.

Potential categories of prizes including

  • Best Presentation
  • Most Science-Fictiony Dish

  • Best Side Dish (because it isn’t a Social without side dishes)

  • Best Use of Cheese

  • Best Use of Bacon (yeah, we know our audience)

In addition to the food competition, we will have an additional competition with two special categories

  • Best Event-Specific Zoom Background (get your Chef-Boyardee labels out)
  • Best Pastafarian costume: Please feel free to develop the costume beforehand, take a picture, and we will have you put it on Zoom for everyone to see. You are, of course, also welcome to just wear the costume during the meeting as well, but the advanced picture taking may offer the best options.

Judging: Judges may volunteer with Ben, who as host, has final say on the judges. If there are no volunteers, he is allowed to make any arbitrary choice he wants for the judges. Judges will, at least, choose the Best Presentation Prize and may award any of the ones listed above or others they determine instead.

Prizes (we're cheap here, your prize is pasta) will be mailed to winners at their address listed in the NWSFS membership listing. If you haven’t updated this address recently…well somebody is getting some pasta.

As always, Zoom requires a waiting room, please use your real name, we will check it against a list of member names. Please be patient with the waiting room. Your fearless board also invites you to click the “maybe” or “attending” buttons in Facebook to help spread the word on this social.

Here is a link to the Facebook event https://www.facebook.com/events/882856092448968

Topic: NWSFS Zoom Social - February
Time: Feb 20, 2021 04:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 966 6031 7979
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,96660317979# US (Tacoma)
+16699006833,,96660317979# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)