Automation of NW.js Application using Selenium WebDriver

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 2, 2016, 9:09:40 AM2/2/16
to nw.js
1. Downloaded

Application Description:
I am using chrome driver to drive my NW.js application.I am trying to automate my application which is a standalone Desktop based and web technologies implemented  The Application is build using NW.JS technologies and based on chromium embedded framework.

NW.JS is a desktop application with web technologies implementation. The Application to be tested is actually embedded inside the Web Took Kit and looks like a normal window application

       Iam using chrome driver to drive my NW.js application.  Iam trying to Automate my application which is a standalone
       NW.JS is a desktop application with web technologies implementation.The  Application to be tested is actually embedded inside the       Web Took Kit and looks like a normal window application.  It does not make use any of the traditional browsers(IE/Firefox/Chrome/Safari etc.)
     I automated the basic login functionality of my application using selenium web driver with java program  and when i run it,
     it invokes my application but unable to identify the objects in the App.  Iam using the chrome driver,which makes use of chrome     options,i have see in the chrome documentation, that chrome  now   supports web view tags   under this  link:https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/chromedriver/downloads
it is given that Access to <web view> tags is now possible through ChromeOptions.windowTypes,   but i don't see the windowTypes method for chrome options class,is the web view tag only supported for Mobile applications and not for NW.js destkop based applications with Web technologies implementation?

2.My java program:
import java.io.File;
import java.util.Arrays;

import org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver;
import org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriverService;
import org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeOptions;
import org.openqa.selenium.remote.DesiredCapabilities;

public class MyDummyCEFTest
{
public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception
{
   File file=new File("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ChartInstaller\\nwtest.exe");
       System.setProperty("webdriver.chrome.driver","C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Chart Installer\\chromedriver.exe");
   ChromeOptions options = new ChromeOptions();
   options.setBinary(file);
   options.setBinary("C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe");
       //options.addArguments(" standalone.nw --server stage");
   //options.addArguments(" standalone.nw --server stage");
   DesiredCapabilities capabilities = DesiredCapabilities.chrome();
   capabilities.setCapability(ChromeOptions.CAPABILITY, options);
   Thread.sleep(6000);
   ChromeDriver driver = new ChromeDriver(capabilities);
   System.out.println("The Page Title is " + driver.getTitle());
   //driver.findElementByLinkText("Login").click();
   driver.findElement(By.linkText("Login")).click();
   Thread.sleep(6000);
}
}
3.After running this java program from eclipse
My application gets invoked,but it does not click on the login link

4.The following errors are displayed
Starting ChromeDriver 2.20 (f78bfbe2ce0143a245540aed91630a10e50d0e7d) on port 13380
Only local connections are allowed.
Exception in thread "main" org.openqa.selenium.WebDriverException: chrome not reachable
  (Driver info: chromedriver=2.20 (f78bfbe2ce0143a245540aed91630a10e50d0e7d),platform=Windows NT 10.0 x86_64) (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 63.30 seconds
Build info: version: '2.49.1', revision: '7203e46', time: '2016-01-21 17:35:35'
System info: host: 'VijayBhaskar-PC', ip: '14.99.239.32', os.name: 'Windows 8.1', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version: '6.3', java.version: '1.7.0_71'
Driver info: org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.createThrowable(ErrorHandler.java:206)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.throwIfResponseFailed(ErrorHandler.java:158)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:678)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.startSession(RemoteWebDriver.java:249)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.<init>(RemoteWebDriver.java:131)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.<init>(RemoteWebDriver.java:144)
at org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver.<init>(ChromeDriver.java:170)
at org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver.<init>(ChromeDriver.java:138)
at MyDummyCEFTest.main(MyDummyCEFTest.java:22)

Can anyone please help me to figure out what could be the issue? Thanks in Advance

Roger Wang

Feb 5, 2016, 1:14:16 AM2/5/16
to nw.js
You'll need to use the chromedriver distributed in the SDK build, and place it in the same directory with NW executable.

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 5, 2016, 4:53:07 AM2/5/16
to nw.js
Hi Roger,
                   Thanks a lot for your response used the chrome driver distributed in the SDK build and placed it in the same directory with NW executables,after doing this only i see the mentioned errors
Iam still not sure whether we can use selenium webdriver to automate nw.js applications
i tried very hard, but with no result, infact iam still struggling to find a solution for my problem.

I followed the below steps:
and placed it under the same dir that contains the node-webkit binaries
2.downloaded selenium-server standalone.jar and placed it in the same directory as
chromedriver2
and when i run my java program, i see my application gets invoked,but selenium webdriver does not
click on the login link of my application home page.
I need to automate my nw.js application using selenium web driver,but unable to automate due to the mentioned issues. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance

Thanks,
Vijay

Roger

Feb 5, 2016, 9:46:39 AM2/5/16
to Vijay Pusuluri, nw.js
NW app automation with selenium is supported. In fact that's how we run our automated tests. You can see the log of our nightly test here: e.g. http://buildbot-master.node-webkit.org:8010/builders/nw13_sdk_win64/builds/143/steps/test_release/logs/stdio

I think passing nwapp=<app directory> as our test cases did should help. Our cases use python selenium library, but Java should be OK without any difference.

Roger

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 7, 2016, 11:43:42 AM2/7/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
Hi Roger,
                  Thanks a lot once again, for responding to my queries.
Iam not sure, if i posted this, hence once again iam posting it. I apologize if i already posted it.

         Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Here follows my python program executed from eclipse
import time
import os
import sys
from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver.chrome.options import Options

chrome_options = Options()
chrome_options.add_argument("nwapp= C:\Program Files (x86)\Chart Installer")
chrome_options.add_argument(" standalone.nw --server stage")
driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path='C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer//chromedriver.exe' ,chrome_options=chrome_options)
time.sleep(5) # Wait 5s to see the web page
driver.implicitly_wait(10)
print driver.current_url
driver.switch_to_window(1)
title = driver.title
print "The page title is ",title,"title"
driver.find_element_by_link_text("Login").click()
time.sleep(5) # Wait 5s to see the search result
driver.quit()

My application path is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Chart Installer
in this directory i have the below files
my application : chartinstaller Standalone("C:\Program Files (x86)\Chart Installer\nw.exe" standalone.nw --server stage)
chrome driver executable version:2.20
selenium server standalone.jar
nw.exe
my operating system is windows 10
from the eclipse run configuration i set the
other options directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\Chart Installer
if i don't set this , then i see the dialog box as shown in the screen shot

in one of your test script i see the below statement
chrome_options.add_argument("nwapp=" + os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(__file__)))
so i have added the statement accodingly as below

chrome_options.add_argument("nwapp= C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer")
My application is invoked successfully, but still it does not click on the login link of my application
it throws the below errors

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\VijayBhaskar\seleniumWork\SACIPro\src\InvokeSACI.py", line 10, in <module>
    driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path='C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer//chromedriver.exe' ,chrome_options=chrome_options)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\chrome\webdriver.py", line 67, in __init__
    desired_capabilities=desired_capabilities)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 87, in __init__
    self.start_session(desired_capabilities, browser_profile)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 141, in start_session
    'desiredCapabilities': desired_capabilities,
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 201, in execute
    self.error_handler.check_response(response)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\errorhandler.py", line 181, in check_response
    raise exception_class(message, screen, stacktrace)
selenium.common.exceptions.WebDriverException: Message: chrome not reachable
Also iam attaching the chrome driver logs with verbose logging enabled
so neither iam able to click the login link on my application using python nor iam able to click it using java program.
Iam still struggling to automate my application.Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vijay

PackageError.PNG
mylogs.log

Roger Wang

Feb 8, 2016, 9:22:54 AM2/8/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
chromedriver doesn't support passing any command line argument which is not a switch (start with '--'). So you can try this scenario:

1. unzip your app files to some directory
2. use the option '--nwapp=' to point to that directory in your script as we did in our test cases

Roger

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 8, 2016, 11:35:25 AM2/8/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
Roger,
            I tried something like
chrome_options.add_argument("--nwapp= C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer")
please correct me if iam wrong. also i sincerely apologize for asking more and more questions
Thanks,
Vijay

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 8, 2016, 11:36:41 AM2/8/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 10:05:25 PM UTC+5:30, Vijay Pusuluri wrote:
Roger,
            I tried something like
chrome_options.add_argument("--nwapp= C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer")
    I still see the same errors

Roger Wang

Feb 8, 2016, 11:38:27 AM2/8/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
There is no '--' before 'nwapp' if you looked at our cases: https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/blob/nw13/test/remoting/app-argv/test.py

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 8, 2016, 11:53:33 AM2/8/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
Roger
Iam sorry i gave the statement like

chrome_options.add_argument("nwapp= C:\Program Files (x86)\Chart Installer")
chrome_options.add_argument(" standalone.nw --server stage")

and i see bunch of errors, i don't know where iam going wrong.this is a critical issue for me, as iam unable to automate my testcases using selenium webdriver, i should be grateful to you if you can be help me to solve my issues

2. use the option '--nwapp=' to point to that directory in your script as we did in our test cases

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 8, 2016, 12:00:49 PM2/8/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
Roger,
                 I tried again like
fpath = "C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer";
chrome_options.add_argument("nwapp=" + fpath)
and i still see the same errors, and selenium webdriver does not click on login link of my nw.js application
Thanks
Vijay

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 9, 2016, 11:37:36 AM2/9/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
Hi Roger,
                   I Apologize for asking again and again the same question, but unfortunately i don't have any other option.Iam still struggling to automate my NW.js application using selenium web driver
Please find the attached screenshot of my application
I should be able to click on the login link and login page should be displayed, currently selenium webdriver is unable to click on the login link.
our developers are saying that this page is a webview.
Once again your help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Vijay
NWJSApp.png

David Luu

Feb 15, 2016, 1:30:12 AM2/15/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
Two thoughts, regarding this line in your code:

driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path='C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer//chromedriver.exe' ,chrome_options=chrome_options)

  1. make sure chromedriver.exe is the correct 32/64-bit version. Since the nw.js app is under "Program Files (x86)", that tells me you should be using 32-bit chromedriver, e.g. http://dl.nwjs.io/v0.12.3/chromedriver-nw-v0.12.3-win-ia32.zip
  2. I'd specify the path the preferred Python way:
driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path=r'C:\Program Files (x86)\Chart Installer\chromedriver.exe' ,chrome_options=chrome_options)

Use same format to specify the app path for nw.js app that you provide to chrome options add argument method.

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 15, 2016, 12:11:33 PM2/15/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
David,

Probably Roger can help us to get the corresponding 32 bit version for chrome driver

Thanks,
Vijay

Vijay Pusuluri

Feb 18, 2016, 7:24:16 AM2/18/16
to nw.js, pvbr...@gmail.com
David,
              I have two scenarios which are described as below
               scenario1: Application screen shot is attached
Rediff Web application opens in a node webkit(not the traditional browsers).
Node webkit looks like a normal windows application

import time
import os
import sys
from selenium.webdriver.common.desired_capabilities import DesiredCapabilities
from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver.chrome.options import Options
from selenium.webdriver.common.proxy import *
from selenium.webdriver.support.ui import Select
from selenium.common.exceptions import NoSuchElementException

chrome_options = Options()
driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path='C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer//chromedriver.exe' ,service_args=["--verbose", "--log-path=C:\Logs\mylogs.log"],chrome_options=chrome_options)
driver.find_element_by_link_text("Sign in").click()
driver.find_element_by_id("login1").send_keys("xxxxxx")
driver.find_element_by_id("password").send_keys("yyyyyy")
driver.find_element_by_xpath("//input[@type='submit']").click()
driver.find_element_by_link_text("Signout").click()
time.sleep(10) # Wait 5s to see the web page
driver.implicitly_wait(60)
title = driver.title
print "The page title is ",title,"title"
driver.quit()

Output: Node webkit is opened and user is able to enter username and password
and then click sigin button,
Homepage is displayed and user clicks signout button
and node webkit is closed
Scenario2:
My scenario: Application screen shot is attached
My Application is on the destkop in exe form
user needs to double click the exe file to open the application
This application is embedded in the node webkit based on chromium embedded framework
user cannot even edit the website address in the address bar,please find the attached screeshot
the python code is as follows:
import time
import os
import sys
from selenium.webdriver.common.desired_capabilities import DesiredCapabilities
from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver.chrome.options import Options
from selenium.webdriver.common.proxy import *
from selenium.webdriver.support.ui import Select
from selenium.common.exceptions import NoSuchElementException

chrome_options = Options()
fpath = "C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer";
nw_app_path = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(__file__))
print "The nw app path is ",nw_app_path
chrome_options.add_argument("nwapp="  + fpath)   #C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer")
chrome_options.add_argument(" standalone.nw --server beta")
chrome_options.add_argument("--disable-extensions")
chrome_options.add_argument("webstore")
driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path='C://Program Files (x86)//Chart Installer//chromedriver.exe' ,service_args=["--verbose", "--log-path=C:\Logs\mylogs.log"],chrome_options=chrome_options)
#driver = webdriver.Chrome(service_args=["--verbose", "--log-path=C:\Logs\mylogs.log"])
desired_capabilities = DesiredCapabilities.CHROME();

time.sleep(10) # Wait 5s to see the web page
driver.implicitly_wait(60)
#chrome_options.setExperimentalOption("windowTypes", Arrays.asList("webview"));

print driver.current_url
#driver.switch_to_window(1)
title = driver.title
print "The page title is ",title,"title"
#cheese = driver.find_element(By.LINK_TEXT, "Login")
#cheese.click()
#element = driver.execute_script("return $('.Login')[0]")
#element.click()
driver.find_element_by_link_text("Login").click()
#driver.find_element_by_xpath("//html//body//div[1]//header//div[2]//div[2]//ul//li//a[@class='jnc-page-header-link-user']").click()
time.sleep(19) # Wait 5s to see the search result
driver.quit()

output:
My application opens in a node webkit,but does not click on
the login link
console output:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\VijayBhaskar\seleniumWork\SACIPro\src\InvokeSACI.py", line 21, in <module>
[...]

so what my opinion is
in the first scenario: simply the web application opens in the node webkit and not in any of the traditional browsers and selenium is able to identify the web elements
and in the second scenario: the application itself is embedded in the node webkit
and the webpage is defined using the webview tag, which the chrome driver supports
strangely selenium does not identify the web elements, i think in this scenario, selenium webdriver does not support,as it is a desktop application based with web technologies
NW.js can be used to built both web applications and desktop applications
scenario1 is a web application inside  a node webkit and hence selenium webdriver is supported
scenario2 is a desktop application inside node webkit, may be selenium webdriver is not supported in this case,still not sure about this
I think i made it clear with the two scenarios
Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated, as iam still struggling to automate my test cases

Thanks,
Vijay
Scenario1.PNG
Scenario2.png

arpit....@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2016, 9:08:49 AM12/20/16
to nw.js
Hi All,

I too am running in to a similar situation. Please let me know if you people have got a solution to this.

I am able to invoke my application through Selenium + Java Code below-

#################
package Basics;
import java.io.File;
import java.util.Arrays;

import org.openqa.selenium.WebDriver;
import org.openqa.selenium.WebElement;
import org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver;
import org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriverService;
import org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeOptions;
import org.openqa.selenium.remote.DesiredCapabilities;
import org.openqa.selenium.support.ui.ExpectedConditions;
import org.openqa.selenium.support.ui.WebDriverWait;

public class NWJS {
public static void main(String args[]) throws InterruptedException
{
   File file=new File("C:\\Path_to_nwjs_of_my_app\\ClientApp\\nw_original.exe");

   System.setProperty("webdriver.chrome.driver", "C:\Downloads\\nwjs-sdk-v0.19.2-win-ia32\\nwjs-sdk-v0.19.2-win-ia32\\chromedriver.exe");
   ChromeOptions options = new ChromeOptions();

   options.setBinary(file);
   DesiredCapabilities capabilities = DesiredCapabilities.chrome();
   capabilities.setCapability(ChromeOptions.CAPABILITY, options);

   WebDriver driver = new ChromeDriver(capabilities);
   Thread.sleep(4000);
       System.out.println("The Page Title is " + driver.getTitle());
    }
#####################################

APPLICATION IS GETTING INVOKED IN NWJS Container, but i am not able to do any further automation after that !!

Stack trace -

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Starting ChromeDriver 2.24 (8edff6e8b274c45f7265f8a1746be68055dc0939) on port 9337
Only local connections are allowed.
Dec 20, 2016 7:36:20 PM org.openqa.selenium.remote.ProtocolHandshake createSession
INFO: Attempting bi-dialect session, assuming Postel's Law holds true on the remote end
Dec 20, 2016 7:37:22 PM org.openqa.selenium.remote.ProtocolHandshake createSession
INFO: Detected dialect: OSS
Exception in thread "main" org.openqa.selenium.NoSuchSessionException: no such session
  (Driver info: chromedriver=2.24 (8edff6e8b274c45f7265f8a1746be68055dc0939),platform=Windows NT 6.3.9600 x86_64) (WARNING: The server did not provide any stacktrace information)
Command duration or timeout: 12 milliseconds
Build info: version: 'unknown', revision: '1969d75', time: '2016-10-18 09:43:45 -0700'
System info: host: 'FINDHYDAG733721', ip: '192.168.56.1', os.name: 'Windows 8.1', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version: '6.3', java.version: '1.8.0_111'
Driver info: org.openqa.selenium.chrome.ChromeDriver
Capabilities [{message=chrome not reachable
  (Driver info: chromedriver=2.24 (8edff6e8b274c45f7265f8a1746be68055dc0939),platform=Windows NT 6.3.9600 x86_64), platform=ANY}]
Session ID: d527ca2e0283d8089371244d197ee66b
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.createThrowable(ErrorHandler.java:216)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.throwIfResponseFailed(ErrorHandler.java:168)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:635)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:658)
at org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.getTitle(RemoteWebDriver.java:326)
at Basics.NWJS.main(NWJS.java:30)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

himabindu jambula

Sep 14, 2021, 9:00:02 AM9/14/21
to nw.js
Anyone found solution for it. We are using normal nw instead of SDK one. I am seeing the issue. If anyone has the solution please let me know. I am struggling a lot.

import time

from selenium import webdriver
from selenium.webdriver.chrome.options import Options
chrome_options = Options()
chrome_options.add_argument("nwapp=C:/Program Files (x86)/Veripos/Quantum/")
#chrome_options.add_experimental_option("nwargs", ["arg1", "arg2"])
chrome_options.add_argument("--no-sandbox")
chrome_options.add_argument("--disable-setuid-sandbox")
driver = webdriver.Chrome(executable_path=r'C:/Program Files (x86)/Veripos/Quantum/chromedriver.exe',options=chrome_options)
print ("I am successful")
time.sleep(15) # Wait 5s to see the web page
search_box = driver.find_element_by_xpath("//a[contains(@id,'button-1015')]")
search_box.click()
time.sleep(15)
search_box = driver.find_element_by_xpath("//span[contains(@id,'button-1162-btnIconEl')]")