Convening a table read

A. S. Templeton

Aug 9, 2021, 12:05:40 PM8/9/21
to nwf...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

 I am a Seattle screenwriter and novelist looking to convene an in-person table read in the greater Seattle area.

Description/Need

Table read of a PG-rated fantasy serial, 150 pages in three chapters.

Expectations/Purpose

The table read’s primary purpose is to help me, the writer, refine story, dialogue, action, pacing, etc. I found the markups by the producer and actors in an early draft of my The Mâr Chronicles pilot, a winner in ReelHeART 2020, to be invaluable, and am seeking the same for my current project, Virtual Magick.

I’m not looking to make a big deal out of this, just be the guy feverishly redlining the script according to the actors’ brilliant interpretations of the story’s characters, and gratefully accepting constructive feedback after each chapter’s conclusion.

However, if the recorded read were of sufficiently high quality in acting and production, its “Script Movie” could be submitted to film festivals (e.g. SIFF or SFS) with an eye to IMDb credit for all parties involved, and of course be included in demo reels and as pitch supplements.

Time/Timeline

Live read to take place on a weekend

Completion by Spring 2022

Budget

$0.00

Title: Virtual Magick

Genres: PG-rated Fantasy, Action-Adventure, Family, Drama

Type: Serial (limited series)

Source: adaptation of juvenile fiction novel Virtual Magick, also by by A. S. Templeton

Length: 150 pages in three chapters/installments

Number of roles: 28 (16 youth, 12 adult), coverable by 6 actors (3 youth, 3 adult) or more

Logline

Lured into what they think is a virtual reality game, girl-boy twins and their combat-veteran mother find themselves trapped in a fantasy dimension, fighting for their lives to defeat a sinister threat to the real world.

Read Location: Greater Seattle

Needed (or so I imagine)

  • A suitable (quiet, secure, well-lit and -ventilated) venue;
  • A cast of SIX (6) or more, the adults COVID-19-negative or fully vaccinated;
  • Present at all times: parents or legal guardians of the minors;
  • Volunteers for live beatbox/Foley, director/producer, audio recordist, videographer, post-producer;
  • Refreshments to be provided by the screenwriter, or potluck, or...?

 Interested parties may request the latest draft of Virtual Magick, plus a five-page pitch/bible with suggested cast and role assignments.

 Thank you for your attention.

A. S. Templeton

templ...@gmail.com

Seattle

Early drafts of Virtual Magick (some under the title Fairyland Ain’t What It Used to Be) have done well enough in several recent competitions:

 http://www.storypros.com/14thISCQuarterfinalists.html

 https://www.stage32.com/happy-writers/contests/5th-Annual-Sci-Fi-Fantasy-Screenwriting-Contest

 https://www.vailfilmfestival.com/screenplay-contest-2021

 https://www.inkandcinema.com/blogs/showcases/2021-military-script-showcase

 https://www.bigapplefilmfestival.com/2020-summer-winners-and-finalists

A first-scene reading of Virtual Magick under the title Fairyland Ain’t What It Used To Be:

https://vimeo.com/544089091

or embedded:

https://festivalfordrama.com/2021/05/04/1st-scene-reading-tv-pilot-fairyland-aint-what-it-used-to-be/

From ReelHeART 2020, a table read (via Zoom) of an early draft of my pilot for The Mâr Chronicles:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=661552211099117&ref=watch_permalink

My profile at the International Screenwriter’s Association:

https://www.networkisa.org/profile/astempleton

My profile at Script Revolution:

https://www.scriptrevolution.com/profiles/a-s-templeton

My FezBuch page: