CREW Call for Narrative Short - PAID

Noah B

Jul 19, 2021, 2:21:43 PM7/19/21
to Northwest Film Forum Callboard
Hey everyone. Starting to crew up for a short (20 min) MFA thesis film that's slated to shoot in October/November. I've done production for years in California and am eager to meet some new collaborators in Seattle!

PROJECT: Goshen
In a near future where the State of Israel has ceased to exist, Goshen puts an intimate frame around two people navigating the Jewish Diaspora on conflicting paths of righteousness.

It's a little Sci-Fi, bit of a spy story, kinda political (in a way that's sure to upset people on all sides), and a lot of tight, contained drama. NOT A RELIGIOUS FILM, though it deals with some religious themes. I only offer this much info because this film deals with stuff that's a little hot-button for some folks. If that's you and you're unsure if you want to be involved, talk to me.

ROLES: For all roles, inquiries are welcome but if applying be prepared to provide at least a resume and, preferably, a reel or applicable samples.

Director of Photography / Gaffer -- This is a weird one because you will NOT OPERATE camera. The Director will be operating a specialized handheld rig himself. But the DP/Gaffer will have input on shot design and camera movement, will keep an eye on the shots via monitor to catch problems and, principally, be in charge of the Lighting. Applicants MUST have experience with lighting for film/video and supply a reel demonstrating that. This position will also be very hands-on with the lights during production, having the help of only 1 G&E Swing position.

Grip/Electric Swing -- Need a jack-of-all-trades Grip! We're trying to keep the crew very intimate so you'd be THE PERSON handling setup tasks on set, working right alongside the DP to rig lights, flags, grids, black windows, whatever else they need. This would be credited as Key Grip and/or Best Boy Electric, we can discuss the most suitable title. Film students are welcome to apply but this is not a position for a first-timer -- applicants must submit a resume that shows some experience.

Assistant Camera -- Camera and footage caretaker! The Director will hand off the camera to you between takes/setups and you'll be in charge of keeping it ready to go. You'll also tend batteries, swap lenses and - crucially - Slate takes. Between scenes you'll do card data dumps and backups. Previous experience with the original BMPCC is a plus but not required.

Makeup & Hair -- Will work with Director to design hairstyles appropriate to a near-future setting. On set, will arrange hair and apply and maintain naturalistic makeup for 2 adult female leads, 1 adult male supporting actor and 1 male child featured actor. Wardrobe 'touch-up' adjustments would also fall to you. Must be able to work with children. Previous experience with film/video makeup strongly preferred (submit reel or film sample) but not required (submit photo samples).

PAY:
This is a student film, the budget will be restrictive but all roles are paid. Exact amounts will depend on experience and the final budget, with fundraising currently ongoing to supplement our starter budget. At minimum, the above positions will pay a flat rate calculated at $50-100 per shoot day, depending on role, with 2.5 - 4 shoot days expected (again, depending on role). For DP/Gaffer and G/E Swing positions this flat rate will additionally require some pre-production planning/meeting, along with a location site visit.

DATES:
Shooting planned for late October and/or early November. Exact dates have not been nailed down, partly so that we have some flexibility around the schedules of exciting collaborators. In other words, we'll try to work with you.

ABOUT THE FILMMAKER:
Noah Weisel has been an entertainment industry professional for 20 years. He's worked in Hollywood, broadcast, commercial production and marketing. He's made a no-budget feature and many shorts, the most recent of which have played at film festivals in the PNW and around the country. A former Guild editor, he has been awarded for his post production, as well as for his screenwriting. Currently completing an MFA in Cinema through San Francisco State University, Noah has for the past two years also been a Graduate Instructor, teaching film production to college students.

CONTACT: