Moving from Drupal 6 to 8

Paul Waring

Apr 26, 2016, 3:06:37 PM4/26/16
to nw...@googlegroups.com
One of the organisations I'm a volunteer for has got a Drupal 6 website
(not sure exactly which version as I don't yet have access to the code)
which needs upgrading to a version which has security support. Is it
possible to do this? I don't mind going from 6->7 and then 7->8 if
needed, but I don't want to spend a lot of time on it if it's not
possible or easier to start from scratch with a clean 8.x install.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Waring
Freelance PHP developer

Philip Norton

Apr 27, 2016, 4:15:53 AM4/27/16
to nw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

There is a bunch of stuff built into Drupal 8 that allows you to migrate from Drupal 6 so it should be possible. You will be able to recover most of your data at least. The functionality is something else though...

In fact, Drupal 8.1 (released recently) comes with a few new additions to the migration interface that makes Drupal to Drupal 8 migrations a little easier.

Phil

--

---

Paul Waring

Apr 29, 2016, 5:25:51 AM4/29/16
to nw...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 09:15:52AM +0100, Philip Norton wrote:
> There is a bunch of stuff built into Drupal 8 that allows you to migrate
> from Drupal 6 so it should be possible. You will be able to recover most
> of your data at least. The functionality is something else though...
> In fact, Drupal 8.1 (released recently) comes with a few new additions to
> the migration interface that makes Drupal to Drupal 8 migrations a little
> easier.

Thanks, that's useful to know. At the very least I can try it in a VM,
but I didn't want to start messing about if it was impossible. :-)