Achieving Smoother and Faster SCF convergence for Lanthanide Complexes with DFT

Ankur Gupta

Apr 25, 2022, 8:46:34 PM4/25/22
to NWChem Forum
Hi all,

I am trying to compute the single-point energies of some lanthanide complexes (containing around 100 to 120 atoms) at the def2-TZVP basis set. However, the deltaE values for each of the SCF steps are quite large (~100 to 1000 Hartree), indicating high instability in the SCF procedure. I have the converged energies at a smaller basis set (def2-SVP), and I am using the corresponding "movecs" as a starting guess using the "vectors input project" option for computing the energies at the def2-TZVP basis set. I have also attached a sample input with my post.

In addition, I have observed that each SCF step is around 1000-2000 seconds more expensive than the previous one, making each subsequent SCF step much more demanding. I am not sure if that's the expected behavior of NWChem.

I would like to know if there is anything else I could do to achieve smoother and faster convergence of the energies. I would be happy to provide more information if needed.

Best,
Ankur
sample_input1.nw

Edoardo Aprà

Apr 25, 2022, 8:50:15 PM4/25/22
to NWChem Forum
Could you post the complete input and output files?

Ankur Gupta

Apr 25, 2022, 9:10:31 PM4/25/22
to NWChem Forum
Yes, sure. I have attached one of the jobs. I have other molecules as well, where I have seen similar behavior.
CeTCMe2I_alt_xtbopt_tzvp_thf.nwo
CeTCMe2I_alt_xtbopt_tzvp_thf.nw

Edoardo Aprà

Apr 27, 2022, 8:44:09 PM4/27/22
to NWChem Forum
When you have linear dependencies showing up in the output file, the projected guess is not likely to be very successful.
Instead, the input file modifications below should get you a faster convergence for the tzvp basis set.

basis large spherical
  * library def2-tzvp
end

ecp
  Ce library "def2-ECP"
  I library "def2-ECP"
end
set "ao basis" large

dft
  vectors input atomic output CeTCMe2I_alt_xtbopt_tzvp_thf.movecs
  direct
  mult 2
  grid fine
  xc b3lyp
  disp vdw 4
  smear
  convergence damp 25 ncydp 0 dampon 1d99 dampoff 1d-4
end

cosmo
  do_cosmo_smd true
  solvent thf
  minbem 3
  ificos 1
end

task dft ignore

Ankur Gupta

Apr 27, 2022, 10:40:33 PM4/27/22
to NWChem Forum
Thank you for suggesting the input file modifications. I will rerun the computations with the proposed changes.

From the output file, it seemed that the S eigenvalue threshold is 1e-05, so I thought all the S eigenvalues below 1e-05 would be ignored.

Best,
Ankur