reading wrong number of atoms in surface calculation

Fernan Saiz

Aug 29, 2021, 2:09:59 PM8/29/21
to NWChem Forum

Dear all,
I am trying to simulate a semi-infinite slab of amorphous boron nitride with a vacuum gap placed along the z axis. Hence, the geometry input that I need to use is a 'surface' type, as you might read in my attached input script. The problem that I face is that atom 293 is missing in the output generated by nwchem. As a consequence, I obtained a charged system with an odd number of electrons. I obtained the same error when using different versions of nwchem: 6.6, 7.0.2, or the one readily available when installing it on ubuntu distributions.

It looks to me that nwchem has here a bug when reading the coordinates. The initial system has 428 atoms vs. 427 particles read by nwchem. Therefore, I would be grateful to hear from your suggestions. I might be missing an obvious input keyword after all.

Best regards,
- Fernan Saiz, PhD
Research Scientist
Physical Science and Engineering Division (PSE)
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
Thuwal 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia

nwchem.nw

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 29, 2021, 2:11:48 PM8/29/21
to NWChem Forum
Are you planning to use NWChem for a calculation with periodic boundary conditions (you do that the cell parameters in your input file)?
If this is the case, the LCAO/DFT code is not ready for periodic boundary conditions.

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 29, 2021, 2:26:40 PM8/29/21
to NWChem Forum
If you do eliminate the 8 lines corresponding to the system_surface input section, the code will recognized 428 atoms.
However, I am not sure this is what you plan to do. One of the 428 atoms (# 246) seems   far away from the rest of the molecule.

Fernan Saiz

Aug 29, 2021, 2:39:20 PM8/29/21
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thanks for the prompt response. I would like to run a simulation only periodic in the x and y directions to avoid the propagation of the surface dipole error in the electrostatic potential along the z axis. I am not sure if nwchem has the surface dipole correction implemented in the pseudopotential plane wave module.

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 29, 2021, 2:41:29 PM8/29/21
to NWChem Forum
I believe the slab input is not fully compatible with the pseudopotential plane wave module.

surface – system with 2-d translational symmetry (not currently available with NWPW module).

Fernan Saiz

Aug 30, 2021, 11:11:17 AM8/30/21
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
hi,
If I run the PSPW with the crystal keyword as shown in the attached input script, nwchem reads now 428 atoms. However, I am afraid that surface dipole correction is not available in NWchem. Conversely, if I use the surface keyword, nwchem reads 427 atoms again.

- Fernan

nwchem.nw
data_abn_662_surface_nwchem.xyz