Water Dimer dynamics using DFT fails to converge

SAcompuser

Oct 10, 2020, 10:04:42 AM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Hi all,

So I'm currently trying to set up a dynamics simulation of a water dimer (2 molecules of TIP3P waters) using DFT and I've been unable to get the simulation to converge which I imagine is a problem with the geometry setup but I can't see the problem. Can anyone help? I have attached the input pdf file along with the input script I use to prepare and the input script I use to try run the actual dynamics.

Edoardo Aprà

Oct 10, 2020, 11:15:23 AM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Did you disable symmetry in the input file?
It can be achieved with the following lines in the dft input section

dft
sym off
adapt off
end

SAcompuser

Oct 10, 2020, 12:04:12 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
I have tried what you suggested, but getting the same error it appears. I have tried attached my input scripts and my starting pdb but keep getting errors so here is a copy of my dynamics input script:

echo
#memory global 8 mb stack 16 mb heap 10 mb

permanent_dir ./data
scratch_dir   ./scratch

title "Water Dimer DFT MD"

start  watdim
charge 0

geometry
load watdim_out.pdb
end

md
 system watdim
 vreass 1 298.15 fraction 1.0 once initial
 step 0.001 equil 0 data 100
 print step 1 stat 1
 record coord 1
 iseed  126
 msa 10
end

dft
  direct
  xc b3lyp
  sym off
  adapt off
end

basis "ao basis"
 * library "6-31G"
end

qmmm
 region qm
end

#task qmmm dft energy
#task qmmm dft optimize
task qmmm dft dynamics

analyze
 system watdim
 file watdim.trj
 copy watdim.crd
 write 5 watdim_final.pdb
end

#task analyze

Edoardo Aprà

Oct 10, 2020, 12:30:51 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Could you post the geometry pdb file, too?

Edoardo Aprà

Oct 10, 2020, 1:29:26 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Could you also post the complete output/error files in attachment?
Thanks

SAcompuser

Oct 10, 2020, 2:34:54 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Also this is the prepare file that I use before I try using DFT:

title "Water Dimer ab initio MD"

start watdim
charge 0

#-- SETUP

prepare
  charmm
  source ./coor/tip3p.pdb
#  solvent name TIP model TIP3
  new_top new_seq
  new_rst

  #orient
  modify segment 1 quantum
  modify segment 2 quantum
  update lists

  vacuo  # . Disables PBC.
#  periodic
#  boxsize

  write watdim_out.pdb
  write watdim.rst
end

task prepare

SAcompuser

Oct 10, 2020, 2:34:54 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Sure
tip3p.pdb

Edoardo Aprà

Oct 10, 2020, 3:38:20 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Thanks for these files.
However, since you mentioned it's a DFT convergence problems., it would be better to get all the output and error files, too

SAcompuser

Oct 10, 2020, 5:30:07 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
Here is the output
log

Edoardo Aprà

Oct 10, 2020, 6:31:59 PM10/10/20
to NWChem Forum
This geometry is really odd.
The distance O-H is above 4 angstroms ... are you sure that this is the geometry you want to use?

SAcompuser

Oct 11, 2020, 6:52:50 PM10/11/20
to NWChem Forum
Yeah you're right. I switched to using my original pdb input file in the dynamics step instead of the output pdb from prepare, and now it appears to converge and dynamics runs! I wonder why the output pdb from prepare is so weird.

Thanks so much for your help!

SAcompuser

Oct 12, 2020, 10:08:53 AM10/12/20
to NWChem Forum
I'm always wondering whether it is possible to run a DFT dynamics simulation with periodic boundary conditions?