DFT fon Calculation Error

Tanvir ur Rahman Chowdhury

Sep 13, 2021, 9:56:53 PM9/13/21
to NWChem Forum
Hello,
Following the example of a carbon atom in the manual, I am trying to do fractional occupation calculations for Boron and Florine atoms.
For the boron atom, I have to put 1/6 electrons in the three valence orbitals of the alpha channel and 1/6 electrons in the three valence orbitals of the beta channel.

dft
odft
fon alpha partial 3 electrons 0.5 filled 2
fon beta partial 3 electrons 0.5 filled 2
end

For the boron atom, I have to put 5/6 electrons in the three valence orbitals of the alpha channel and 5/6 electrons in the three valence orbitals of the beta channel.

dft
odft
fon alpha partial 3 electrons 0.5 filled 2
fon beta partial 3 electrons 0.5 filled 2
end

Both of these triggers an error saying, "no. of electrons and multiplicity not compatible"

I appreciate your suggestions/comments.
Thanks in advance.

Tanvir ur Rahman Chowdhury

Sep 13, 2021, 10:27:54 PM9/13/21
to NWChem Forum
A  little correction. For Florine, I meant,
dft
odft
fon alpha partial 3 electrons 2.5 filled 2
fon beta partial 3 electrons 2.5 filled 2
end

Edoardo Aprà

Sep 14, 2021, 12:34:19 PM9/14/21
to NWChem Forum
You need specify the multiplicity for molecules with an odd number of electrons, since NWChem always assumes a singlet state. NWChem will stop with the error message you reported, instead, when an odd number of electrons is present